old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite threads, its like a completely different world down there. Thanks for posting and well done!

goldtruck59 said:
Have you found many relics from yesterday?
Cheers GT

We have found some old bottles , spikes , parts of machines , winders and ore carts. If you find such items they must be left as all old mines are protected under the Heritage Act.

Tremendous Photo's people. :D
If not dangerous, Would like to see a few straight down shots of some of those winzes. On the Panbulla Gold fields there is one mine that is all stopeing.
From the top right down to the water table under the hill, 500 odd feet of sheer drop.
Incredibly dangerous now but jaw dropping on what was done in a bygone era.
Have a go at the last photo on how square the mouth is.
It always amazes me on how the old miners got things so square through solid rock. :cool:

Tathradj said:
It always amazes me on how the old miners got things so square through solid rock. :cool:

This shaft inside a mine at Creswick is very square. They must have taken great care.

I have seen that in a lot of your Photo's.
I seen some idiots with no respect had lit some fires in there. Damned Fools in all aspects.
I have to see it my self one day. The colours in the host rock are astounding.
How deep is that shaft any way. ?
Yeah mate, Very determined.

Fantastic photo'sThanks for sharing amazing often wondered what's down there.

You'll have to let me know when you hit up creswick again, if you don't mind I'll tag along always wanted to see creswick a history from a prospectors point of view

All the corner,s have what looks like a rope burn.Think it's been asked before but do you use a sheave to protect your ropes.?
The banding on that rock is unreal. Would be nice to see a steel grate over the shaft so it can be appreciated just that little bit more. :D

Have you guys ever taken a sample out of any of these mines? The risk would be great but just out of curiosity? It hasn't killed the cat yet

Danielkrupski said:
Have you guys ever taken a sample out of any of these mines? The risk would be great but just out of curiosity? It hasn't killed the cat yet

The answer is no. We don't take any risks and take great precautions not to disturb anything underground.

Gday Dean, lovely work again from you and the boys.
And I noticed that they used to keep cow's down the mine's in the old days, and here I am thinking it was only canarys and horses!!! ;) :D
Cheers Steve

warrior707 said:
how do you get back up the rope once you absail down

We use single rope technique that uses an ascender. An ascender employs a cam which allows the device to slide freely in one direction (usually the intended direction of movement), and provide a firm grip on the rope when pulled on in the opposite direction. To prevent an ascender from accidentally coming off the rope, a locking mechanism or trigger is deployed. The ascender is first attached to the climber's harness by a piece of webbing or sling, and then is clipped onto the rope and locked.

stoyve said:
Gday Dean, lovely work again from you and the boys.
And I noticed that they used to keep cow's down the mine's in the old days, and here I am thinking it was only canarys and horses!!! ;) :D
Cheers Steve

The things you find down mines can be quite amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts