Nundle trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from Nundle was a good few days away.
Camped the first night at the dam and almost got blown away so moved down to swamp creek.
Met some nice people and spend Friday and Sunday digging along the creek for a little bit of colour in the vial.
Saturday we went along with another couple that was river sluicing near Bowling Alley point , they found some nice small gold , while we tried crevicing but did not find any thing for our efforts.
1454905241_image.jpg

Still we had a great weekend away, just wish we could have stayed longer.

Better than nothing hey Nucopia, how was the Peel running? Wish we were there longer too, we hit a nice hole but got washed out by the rain.
Glad you had a good time ;)
Cheers Craig

Thanks Yobskin
Some times the people you meet are the best part of the trip, this one was good as two of the campers we met had their birthdays on Friday and Saturday, so the food and cake was plentiful and the drinks flowed around the camp fire some good music too.

The Peel was up a little from the last time we were there but still easy access to were we could dig.
We probably need to get our selves a river sluice for next time we go out there looks like thats what most people are using there.

Weather was good not to hot and never looked like rain the whole weekend but it was very windy at night.

Sluicing opens up more fun....get one!
Its always fun meeting new people with the same interests...
So are you off to weight watchers...lol
Gota luv bday bashes.....hiccup??

nucopia said:
Just wondering if any one has been out to Nundle lately and is the water still flowing ?
We are thinking to head out there soon and try the new river sluice if possible.
;)

Hi been told the creek is dry

Saltytom said:
nucopia said:
Just wondering if any one has been out to Nundle lately and is the water still flowing ?
We are thinking to head out there soon and try the new river sluice if possible.
;)

Hi been told the creek is dry
Thats a let down :(
I was planning to go there soon and try out the river sluice I bought from The guys in Mudgee CWP
The sluice is sitting out in my shed and still in the cardboard packing from when I bought it a month ago.
:( :(

Been some rain around the Central West Brian with more showers predicted. Haven't been out anywhere but will be heading to ST tomorrow. Not sure if there'd be enough for sluicing?

Thanks guys
ST needs a good week of drenching rain to even get a trickle in the creeks according to the mate that lives out there.

Maybe Ophir will have good water flow after the rain falling in the Orange district have to look into it a bit more.
I was really hoping Nundle was still flowing so I could try the sluice out .. Just have to be patient I guess and hope it rains soon ..
Mongoman lol
Im cracking my neck to try it out ..Im like a kid on Christmas morning ..I cant wait to tear off the packaging and get it into the water
:(

mbasko said:
Sofala/Turon River would be another option?
Never been out that way Matt
Might have to do some reaserch and put them on the to do list..
Heavy showers here on the central coast at the moment lets hope it also falls on the right places like Nundle, Ophir Stuarte Town!

Been sitting here searching through Goofle looking for info on rainfall in and around Nundle and Ophir.
What sites do people use to track rainfull and its effect on the rivers/creek levels ?
Just wondering cheers !

Cheers Heath
Says move mouse over station for more data doesnt work on an Ipad unfortunatly.
I remember Cracker posted a link to a weather site that gave rain gage readings when there was. Member meet up in Tuena not long back..But damned if I can find it on the forum...

back from a weekend at Nundle.
Got there Friday night about 8pm just after they had a heavy rain storm pass through.
Set up the tent and had an early night. saturday after brekfast we headed out to the creek to set up the river sluice and try and figure out how to make it work.. My Mrs helped out for a while them left me too it.. She was more interested in finding gold them fiddle farting around with the sluice....I gave up after running about 5 buckets of clasified material...after doing a clean out and finding only a minute few speks for my trouble.. I went back to panning for the rest of the afternoon.
That evening back at camp we sat around the fire with a few of the other campers and a few too many cold onesevery one was swapping stories and one of the guys pulls out a small film canister full of fold .. He dropped a 1.4 grm nugget into my hand he and his mate had found up near an old mine shaft they had been working .. Norhing nicer then the heavy feeling of gold in your hand to motivate you.
one of the other couples said they would go out with us the next morning and help set up the sluice for us.
Sunday the four of us headed out to the same spot we were at Saturday and they tried to set up the sluice for me . My mrs was still happely panning away and getting colour in every pan, probably thinking I was wasting my time while she was getting results..
I ran about 10 x 5 gal buckets of clasified material theough the sluice and did a clean out , disappointingly with minimal results. The other couple who were running a diifferent type of sluice , were getting some good results with their sluice digging dirt from the same area both my wife and I were digging from.
I took a bit of time and just sat down and watch the sluice running, then made a few adjustments to the angle and the amount of water running over the riffles I did what I thought would improve the water flow and help clear the material a little better. . Then ran another 5 buckets of classified material. This time it looked like it was running better then before and after the clean out, I also had better results getting a few nice sizes peices and a lot of tinny specks.
All in all my wife probably panned about half the amount of dirt I ran through the sluice over the t.womdays and got a bit more colour then I did over the whole weekend weekend. Not disapointed with the results but keen to get out again and learn how to fine tune the sluice and work out an efficient system to dig, classify and wash the concentrate to get better results next time.
haven't weighed up our finds for the weekend but I'm guessing its not a great deal.
Still had a great weekend away, and looking forward to next time..

Latest posts