Nundle trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well what a trip, set up camp Wednesday arvo 3pm then the rain came. Rain all night and day Thursday till 1.30pm. Finally get down the river for some digging, we worked for 4hrs or so for 2 clean ups and got some nice stuff. I swear we broke the drought it started raining again Thursday night not to heavy, well we woke up Friday to find the river swollen :mad: went down to check on things our pump half under water and the tub and pans down stream about 1km :rolleyes: at least we found them. We packed up in the rain Friday came home with milky oil in the pump :( lesson learned don't leave things after rain cause it might just flood :lol: pics to come.. Cheers

Mis-adventure usually results in campfire stories that outlast decades of good times and can often create more laughter and rekindle fond memories

"remember the time we went to Nundle and is rained so hard that...........( insert embellished story with ample amounts of bullshit here)........

Already I am dreaming about the best two clean ups in living history and a pan full of gold :cool: .... and nuggets bigger than the yabbie that ran up your shorts while trying to retrieve the suction hose :D :lol: :D

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

lol, yeah reminds me of when i borrowed a mates 14ft tinny in Darwin and left it tied up to Stokes Hill Warf for an hour ,went back after 2 hours and it was no where to be seen, then i noticed the rope stretched tight that id used, with 7 metre tides id left plenty of length but rope had caught on warf and held it tight while the tide came up over the boat, lost all my mates lures and two rods and all the safety gear plus had to fully flush and change oil in leg plus plugs for engine,

Lol yeah guy's it was a little funny running around hunting for gear down the river, will remeber this trip for a while. Hopefully the pump survives and we can get back out there somewhere :D Here are some photo's of our trip. :p Cheers
1454201399_2016-01-30_17.41.12.jpg

1454201425_2016-01-31_11.25.48.jpg
1454201623_2016-01-31_11.52.12.jpg
1454201681_2016-01-31_11.28.41.jpg
1454201701_2016-01-31_11.30.55.jpg
1454201811_2016-01-31_11.55.46.jpg
1454201909_2016-01-31_11.57.32.jpg

I think i recognise that stretch of the creek. If its where i think it is then its a nice area.
Its just a shame that nundle is closed to using a pump on the rest of the creek open to public access.
:(
Looks like you guys had a good time.

Yeah not to bad apart from the rain and rising water, spewing we couldn't keep it going for another day :( Our friend said use the pump but who knows, out of site out of trouble I guess :D
nucopia said:
I think i recognise that stretch of the creek. If its where i think it is then its a nice area.
Its just a shame that nundle is closed to using a pump on the rest of the creek open to public access.
:(
Looks like you guys had a good time.

Yeah I know what you mean with your mate.
My wife and I met another couple who were running a river sliuce near where we were paning just past swamp creek.
They also own a property in Nundle but it does not have The creek running throughit. He also said to me , whats the problem with running a pump ...lots of properties use pumps to along the creek to pump water up to fill water tanks.
Makes you wonder whats the problem.

Nice stuff mate looks like you had a bit of fun :)
I have been reading a lot about using pumps and moving water from 1 point to another. 8)
I think there is a lot of intentional misdirection and people trying to tell prospectors that they are doing something wrong.
From my understanding you can use pumps - just as long as you are processing the dirt with your hands as long as you are shoveling you are good.
I believe that the prospecting rules and regulations (and water conservation act) say dont use machines to presses the dirt but nothing about pumping water in to your sluice, bucket or washing your horse with it - which actually would be worse for the environment then sluicing.
Just my thoughts \please let me know what you think and if i am mistaken.

Sluicing Stan said:
Nice stuff mate looks like you had a bit of fun :)
I have been reading a lot about using pumps and moving water from 1 point to another. 8)
I think there is a lot of intentional misdirection and people trying to tell prospectors that they are doing something wrong.
From my understanding you can use pumps - just as long as you are processing the dirt with your hands as long as you are shoveling you are good.
I believe that the prospecting rules and regulations (and water conservation act) say dont use machines to presses the dirt but nothing about pumping water in to your sluice, bucket or washing your horse with it - which actually would be worse for the environment then sluicing.
Just my thoughts \please let me know what you think and if i am mistaken.
Yeah thanks Stan i think your right as long as your not digging in excess and using machinery to do so, using the sluice and re-circulating the water shouldn't be a problem. But some local councils as we know them can be a bit of a party pooper and put stupid regulations against these sort of things. :rolleyes:

nucopia said:
Yeah I know what you mean with your mate.
My wife and I met another couple who were running a river sliuce near where we were paning just past swamp creek.
They also own a property in Nundle but it does not have The creek running throughit. He also said to me , whats the problem with running a pump ...lots of properties use pumps to along the creek to pump water up to fill water tanks.
Makes you wonder whats the problem.
I know my mates boss has a big water pump down the river which was going all day, thinking of building a big ass sluice for it :lol:

nicko61 said:
lol, yeah reminds me of when i borrowed a mates 14ft tinny in Darwin and left it tied up to Stokes Hill Warf for an hour ,went back after 2 hours and it was no where to be seen, then i noticed the rope stretched tight that id used, with 7 metre tides id left plenty of length but rope had caught on warf and held it tight while the tide came up over the boat, lost all my mates lures and two rods and all the safety gear plus had to fully flush and change oil in leg plus plugs for engine,

LOL.... good story.! The tides are huge there.
Takes me back, I did 6 months work at the Stokes Hill Power Station about 6 months after Cyclone Tracy.

The mrs and I are heading out to Nundle tomorrow after lunch.
We will probably stay at the Bowling Alley camp grounds this trip and We dont have a river sluice so will just pan along the creek.

Be there till sunday. :)

Latest posts