Nuggets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
We haven't been into prospecting for very long & haven't had the chance to see much in the way of gold & haven't found anything ourselves yet either, but on the weekend we (brother & myself) decided to go for a quick drive up to Dunolly, Maryborough etc just for a look around but didn't do any detecting.
We wanted to check out some gold maps & was lucky enough to be shown 3 nice nuggets by the owner, an 8oz, 4oz & 3.5oz, for newbies to prospecting it was good to be able to hold & feel them & its surprising just how much a little nugget actually weighs. I thought it was pretty good of the owner to let us have a look & hold them considering they would of been worth probably close to 25k & he didn't know us, but for a couple of newbies it also made us want to get out even more & try to find our own little nuggets, so hopefully one day we will find some, maybe not like them ones but even little stuff would be good.

There are some genuine nice people out there OZZiii,.... woulda been a moment in time when time stood still for yas all. :D

I once held two large Nescafe Coffee jars full to the top.. I was never told the weight

There's many friendly people along the way the further you journey :)

Good luck on the hunting..won't be long until you dig something amazing

Yes have met so good people & its great to know there are some good people involved in this hobby & it also good to know there are people around willing to help out newbies to the hobby as well.

To think how long these nuggets had been in the ground & how many people had walked over them, including the minors from back in the day, goes to show there's still plenty around.

2 large Nescafe jars, now that would be nice to see & hold, would of been a few kilo's there I reckon. Lucky fella who owned all that, obviously a very good prospector as well.

Your time will come Ozziii.........time on the ground swinging that coil is key.

Keep researching, study your basic geology so you can learn to read the ground you intend working. Vegitation and the lay of the land are very important in puting the odds in your favour.

To catch a fish you must think like a fish......same for gold.

Target the contact zones along fault lines, use Geovic and then read the signs when you land at your chosen spot.

Your here at PA mate, so your on the right path to glory.
Keep reading and soak it all up like a sponge.

Good luck dude, now go fill that backpack. ;)

Thanks Meta, I'll definitely be studying a bit about geology, vegetation & fault lines etc & I do use GeoVic a little so hopefully I'll learn more about it all & find a few nuggets, time will tell.
Already learnt a bit just from reading info here on PA so I'm glad I joined, people here have been a big help.
Not sure if I'll ever fill a backpack though, a large Nescafe jar would be nice though.

Thank.
Paul.

Keep at it ozziii I've only been at it for 8 months now but have plenty of littleys. Always brings a smile no matter how big. I'd like to say its easy but you've got to put in the time to get results. More time on the ground means more finds , just like fishing

Will do Bjay, specially now the weather is warming up & tracks drying out, been a few places I would like to check out but only having a 2wd car restricts us from going into some areas, that will change now though.
Part of the fun is just getting out bush so even without finding nuggets its still good to go out detecting, finding gold is the bonus, wouldn't mind finding some old relics & coins either.

Latest posts