NSW local council bans detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason also why I like the Aldi for parks, minimal depth though quite functional anx not bad discrimination. They haven't banned it in my area yet and I'll continue to detect parks in a minimally damaging way until it is but seriously you'd never know I had even been there. I've been watched by Rangers before and they had no problem with my technique. It's a few rotten apple's causing problems like those idiot kids on youtube who film themselves wrecking parks.

Well my new spot has been smashed in the last 2 days. Someone has gone through cherry picking, then leaving their 10cm holes, cut swallow, just under the grass, not even bothering to cover them. They must be pretty good at identifying targets, just leaving me 2 goldies, and a ton of pulltabs. Thanks doofus lol

rocketaroo said:
Well my new spot has been smashed in the last 2 days. Someone has gone through cherry picking, then leaving their 10cm holes, cut swallow, just under the grass, not even bothering to cover them. They must be pretty good at identifying targets, just leaving me 2 goldies, and a ton of pulltabs. Thanks doofus lol
Its these arseholes that are gonna ruin it for us :mad:
Try to keep an eye on the spot to see if you can catch them... Bastards

I must admit I am starting to get peeved at the nanny type stance council/govt paid organisations are taking, and I am even having the same issues with policing as I work in hospitality eg...by selling alcohol i'm somehow responsible for idiots who get intoxicated. I'm the one who can cop a fine.

So as the rules change, we have to adapt to the rules and cover ourselves. Doesn't seem to do anyone any favours giving out info these days and one needs to be a bit savvy about dealing with situations such as the above mentioned "banning metal detecting". Play by the rules, but use the rules to your advantage seems to be how you can avoid an issue with a hot headed individual who is "just enforcing the rules".

......what detector its my walking stick.........I didn't do that, that bloke over there must be who ur looking for.....I was just on the ground praying......if you know a different language just start raving in that language........ive lost my contact lenses can you help me......call an ambulance the ground just exploded I think a meteor just hit me.....or even run Forrest RUN!!!

Lol im cracking myself up but it is a serious issue.....the whole "public liability" issue is absolute CRAP. I fell but its not my fault....who can I sue?

I was pretty crapped off after I heard this. It had me feeling, that it was the end of a hobby, that I just started, and love. I was eyeing-off an e-trac for later this year, but dunno now, dont want a to buy a dear machine, if I am restricted to the beach.

Greg just play by the rules and you will be ok doing what we all love doing. I've heard of no ban on metal detecting, no one being busted for picking up a $2 coin in a park and holding a metal detector. The questionable part is digging holes with that particular council in certain locations. Either avoid those locations or make sure you have your story all sorted out so the rules work in your favour!

I have / get permission. a hard copy of a code of conduct and always keep the management of the land/facility informed...

But it does not stop night hawkers and or others digging "PLUGS" and leaving a mess.

The trick is to have enough trust and respect that those I have dealt with; realise it is not me and others that may be causing the problem... But it does not mean that the Cricket or Footy field people are totally happy... As it does not matter that I may do the right thing, it only takes one fool to dig a big plug on the grass cricket pitch to spoil it for all.

Yes, Hockey sticks and all the boot tags, might cause some damage, but nothing like Mr Plod with the Garret Digger who then also leaves the scrap and the hole un filled...

So do not blame the Council as they will be responding to those that lease and or manage many of the parks.

Around here there are the odd special parks that were established as part of the repatriation of returned diggers from WW11 - Yep more than a few nighthawks keep hitting the place looking to find pre dec's etc... Absolutely no respect for the diggers and the effort some take to keep the place neat and tidy.

Someone needs to set up some hidden night cameras and then post on a special Name and Shame FB page. Self regulation...

Hey hang on fellas. Seems you're all focusing on what you want OUT of the detect. What's wrong with showing all the crap we find and then tell whoever speaks to you that you are cleaning up other people's crap.......keeping the park clean of glass, cans, nails, jagged ring pulls, sharps, bongs, [anything else anyone has found] They could hardly comedown on you if you were actually helping to keep the park clean of offending and potentially injury causing stuff.

The thing is Tassie, most of us do that as standard...

It is the small minority that cause the problems and the the rules are introduced.. And it will still only impact the good people as the others do not care anyway.

I will continue to try to do teh right thing, and I will report / document those that I see doing the wrong thing.....

AngerManagement said:
The thing is Tassie, most of us do that as standard...

It is the small minority that cause the problems and the the rules are introduced.. And it will still only impact the good people as the others do not care anyway.

I will continue to try to do teh right thing, and I will report / document those that I see doing the wrong thing.....

Thats exactly right AM
Rules are only upheld a abided by by honest people
These scumbags dont care for anyone else but themselves let alone rules
They will continue to do what they want where they want
I suppose the 'ignorant do gooders' on the council have to do something to show face... But their stance will have little effect on the ground(pun)
We will suffer for the actions of both
Im not sure about the politics of it all, but have heard the following ....
TOGETHER WE STAND .... DIVIDED WE FALL
We will be much stronger in a fight(when the time comes) as a group united

I had a first the other night, I was detecting not far from some parked cars in a toffee nosed area and a gentleman of Japanese decent approached me, thought 'here we go'.

In his best English and with a little bow he said 'thank you for making safe for my children' a couple of times

It is good to know that there are some people out there that appreciate you efforts guys.

AngerManagement, the only real way to have any freedom is to fight for our freedoms, NOT DOB on people, as it brings attention to the rest of us, and our hobby.

They wont us to fight with ourselves and be dibby dobbers, the more fines that they issue, the MORE of an issue it becomes and the MORE inforcement is put in place.

Having said that if you wish to give a quick clip around the ears to a fellow for f#$king it up for the rest of us, please you have my permission.

Ryan

Ryan1981 said:
if you wish to give a quick clip around the ears to a fellow for f#$king it up for the rest of us, please you have my permission.

Ryan
Alternatively... Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - just ring 3624364 :lol: :lol: And get the job done properly

While reporting some one is an option, there is also the matter of "To WHOM" they are reported.

The best we can do for the moment is to keep pushing via Forums and FB groups; the preferred way to do things.

A: Many U-tube examples where some one cuts a deep plug and pulls it back to find a coin - is not the best way. In most of the parks I have done; the soil and grass type does not support this...

But many see and do without understanding. Hence many places have many clumps of dead grass and it sticks out like a sign post.

B: Permission, so many just assume that unless there is an explicit sign that says "No Detecting" then a property is fair game.

Churches, school grounds, leased property, sporting grounds, cemeteries to name a few.... And for what, a few pre decs...

Getting permission is not that hard, but you may get a lot of "NO" but once you get a "Yes" or two and you can use as a reference; many of the NO's can become YES.

I always leave feedback with the owner/management, pick up extra rubbish and show what I have found and sometimes hand over interesting items. They then feel a part of the process and you can be surprised at what can come from it.

Hey! Sorry to bump a VERY old thread, but I ended up here after I Googled "Lake Macquarie Council metal detecting".

Can anyone confirm that what the op states is correct as of today? Has anyone actually read that this is true on the Lake Macquarie Council website? What I'm really wondering is if anyone has actually read the bylaw that states that this is a rule and not just what someone said.

AngerManagement said:
While reporting some one is an option, there is also the matter of "To WHOM" they are reported.

The best we can do for the moment is to keep pushing via Forums and FB groups; the preferred way to do things.

A: Many U-tube examples where some one cuts a deep plug and pulls it back to find a coin - is not the best way. In most of the parks I have done; the soil and grass type does not support this...

But many see and do without understanding. Hence many places have many clumps of dead grass and it sticks out like a sign post.

B: Permission, so many just assume that unless there is an explicit sign that says "No Detecting" then a property is fair game.

Churches, school grounds, leased property, sporting grounds, cemeteries to name a few.... And for what, a few pre decs...

Getting permission is not that hard, but you may get a lot of "NO" but once you get a "Yes" or two and you can use as a reference; many of the NO's can become YES.

I always leave feedback with the owner/management, pick up extra rubbish and show what I have found and sometimes hand over interesting items. They then feel a part of the process and you can be surprised at what can come from it.

AngerManagement, good post mate! Lots of good info :Y:

Homer
I live with in the shire of Lake Macquarie and detect parks in my area.
I have never had any issues, even had council workers doing ground maintainence while detecting different places .
Been asked once by a cop what I was doing , when told him I was detecting - treasure hunting he just asked so have you found anything yet ..

Edgworth , Morisset, Wangi Wangi ,Spears point ,Rathmines Belmont Toronto etc

It may be on the books but in my experience , council workers either are unaware or dont know or care
As long as you are not digging up the cricket pitch and use common sense picking the parts of fields to dig with good plug technique, you shouldnt have a problem.
If you are approached just engage with a friendly smile and show them what you are doing and how you are doing it .

I have found people are curious but once they see for them selves , a plug when replaced is almost invisible, they become more interested in what you have found and leave you to go about your business.
Had that with a lady walking her dog one day..she asked why are you digging up the grass ..just said hunting for coins and showed her what I had found and how .. we spoke for a while and she went on her way, she just waves or says gday now, if I see her walking her dog down the park .
I guess she thinks no problem I know him, he is Just looking for coins in the grass.

If a council worker or even a member of the public approaches you be polite and friendly like I said, most people are just curious as to what you are doing and if the council worker asks you to leave , just stay friendly say no problem and walk away.
:Y:

Thanks for your reply, everything you said makes a lot of sense!

So far with my very limited experience, people I've come across have been fine with what I'm doing. I had one guy the other day stop and talk for ages because he himself is a local and told me how he had found heaps of old stuff on his backyard when he was renovating. By the way, that was at Minmi.

Anyways, as of today I have to put this hobby on hold for a while... Yesterday I went looking for stuff and when I got home I mowed the lawn, then as I was finishing up I had a fall and I've ruptured my Achilles Tendon :( hopefully I'll be able to get a wheelchair from somewhere and then I'll recruit a few more of my kids to help me out, and then I'll be back into it!!

Latest posts