Not sure?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a new GPX 4500. I got the 14" Elite mono coil with it. I put it together & tried it last night (in the vast expances of my lounge room :))...... The settings I used were those recommended by NuggetMagnet on a Youtube post. I put about 4 grams of gold in a small sample bottle on the carpet & it would not recognise it. Then I threw my wedding ring on the carpet & it blew my ear drums.
My question is ...... is it the settings or is the 4500+Elite not suitable for smaller/fine gold.
I've used my SDC for nearly 12 months now & I'm very confident in using it & I know the 4500 is a totally different beast but I don't want to lose that confidence 'cos I think thats where you can run in trouble when you start second guessing & doubting yourself/detector.
If it is a setting issue can someone suggest where I should start to look please. I know it won't be a trouble with the volume limit or the iron reject but I'm not sure which settings I should be looking at.
Any help please.
Rob.

G'day Rob,
If you want to familiarise yourself indoors with your settings (without testing). Unplug your coil... Nugget Magnets settings are ok, though I use fixed ground balance and recently I've had my gain as low as 8 depending on ground noise. You can keep you stabiliser close to gain like he say if you choose.

Lee :)

Thanks for that John.... I like the way you think..... only trouble is I'm working dawn till dark for the next 4 or 5 weeks & the nearest gold is about 5 or 6 hours away. :(
My trouble is I'm a typical bloke..... I've got a new toy & I just want to play with it. :D
When the 4500 didn't want to know about the small nugglets I thought the same as you..... the lounge room is not the place..... but then out of curiosity I put my wedding ring under the coil & BANG.
Anyway if you think its just because its in the lounge room I will do as you suggest & put it away until I have some time to get up to the GT.
Thanks for your advise.
Rob.
Thanks for your input Lee & John..... you posted while I was typing..... I've noted your suggestions Lee & I will print them on a laminated cheat sheet I can keep with me until I master the new machine.
The 4500 certainly makes the point & shoot SDC look simple.
Rob.

Hotrob said:
Thanks for that John.... I like the way you think..... only trouble is I'm working dawn till dark for the next 4 or 5 weeks & the nearest gold is about 5 or 6 hours away. :(
My trouble is I'm a typical bloke..... I've got a new toy & I just want to play with it. :D
When the 4500 didn't want to know about the small nugglets I thought the same as you..... the lounge room is not the place..... but then out of curiosity I put my wedding ring under the coil & BANG.
Anyway if you think its just because its in the lounge room I will do as you suggest & put it away until I have some time to get up to the GT.
Thanks for your advise.
Rob.

Rob when you get that thing Cooking the Gold will come out the Ground with It's hands Up,

My 3500 hated being indoors To so don't worry, coz you can't crank it up in the house enough to see smaller stuff, It has the power I promise you that and that is why it blasted you when you put the band under it because you did not have the power Blended right.

That A damn fine machine so Congrats and Don't forget to Fill out the Adoption Papers all Legal Like.

I now pronounce you Rob and Rob jr. lol

Good luck Mate,, john

Hotrob said:
Hahahaha...... I don't know what you're on John but I'll have some too please. :lol:
Thanks for your help mate.
Rob.

No worries mate your welcome

Don't forget to fill out the warranty Card ( Adoption Papers ) lol

john

Thanks for the encouragement NeoGeo.... I've never dug deeper than about 2 or 3 inches with the SDC..... looking back I wonder what I've walked away from down that little bit deeper hence the purchase of the 4500 (the special price didn't hurt either.......) I remember your story..... it was a great write up.

I'm hoping I can get away late November to the GT to try it out..... until then I'll just keep rereading the 4500 write ups & taking notes on prefered settings.

Thanks again.

Rob.

While you've got time and your dreaming of gold.

Don't forget to do your homework, settings are one thing. But Geovic and Google earth (to name a couple) are another "all important" and should become part of a healthy prospecting diet ;)

Mmmmmmmmmm OLD MAPS AND TROVE
1440559689_homer.jpg

[Insert gurgling noise here]

NeoGeo said:
G'day Rob,
If you want to familiarise yourself indoors with your settings (without testing). Unplug your coil... Nugget Magnets settings are ok, though I use fixed ground balance and recently I've had my gain as low as 8 depending on ground noise. You can keep you stabiliser close to gain like he say if you choose.

Lee :)

Just a caveat emptor here....DON'T disconnect the coil WHILE THE DETECTOR IS TURNED ON!!!!! (as per minelab warnings).

Also, i own the 4000 and i can find 0.02gm pieces, so have no fear about the 4500, it'll get it if ya walk over it and are tuned right to hear it. ;)

GGA

Latest posts