Harness problems.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm on my third detector now, SDC, GPX4500 & now GPZ7000 and I've had a common problem with all three using the PRO swing harness. The J struts on all three harnesses pull apart after a few minutes use.
I take the harness off & push the two pieces together as tightly as possible & then give it a test tug to make sure it's firmly joined. Put the harness back on & start swinging again but within 10 minutes it's apart again.
I don't know if this is a common problem or I've got a weird body shape that is putting pressure on the struts. I am fairly big in the shoulders/chest/gut area😀 but I've seen a lot bigger blokes wearing the PRO swings.
I've actually considered gluing or screwing the two pieces together but I'm not sure if this will effect the movement & support that the strut is supposed to provide. I assume that there is a reason they can come apart.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Rob.

G'day Rob...I haven't used a Minelab harness since SD2100 days...they just dont work for me....try a 'day pack' back pack...get a comfy one that doesn't cut into the back of your neck and see how ya go.

Used the struts once, felt like a gorilla swinging the GPZ. Removed struts & cups attached a 1.5 litre camel back and the harness has served me well.
Also have a loop attached to both shoulder "D" rings, the bungee is anchored in centre of chest.
When setting up, position bungee on stem so if you pick machine up with bungee it hangs in swing position.
Weight of machine now not a problem.

Dislike the harness immensely, I only use camelbak backpack & a hipstick from "gold seekr" (ball doesn't keep popping out like others). With the camelbak make sure it has the D rings on the shoulder straps (most don't) get a 3lt one if you intend to be out and away from the car all day so you have plenty of water & put huge ice blocks in for a mid afternoon brain freeze in the bush.

started looking at camelbacks with the d ,s them small water bottles fit in them fully frozen
Use cylindrical food containers to make huge ice blocks, they fit in the bladder filler. 2 will be enough to keep the water frosty all day (as long as you fill with ice cold water as well) Ice production becomes a morning ritual as it takes about 24 hours to freeze that volume, I put a couple of ice cubes in the container before putting back in the freezer for the next day just to make sure they're fully frozen.

Use cylindrical food containers to make huge ice blocks, they fit in the bladder filler. 2 will be enough to keep the water frosty all day (as long as you fill with ice cold water as well) Ice production becomes a morning ritual as it takes about 24 hours to freeze that volume, I put a couple of ice cubes in the container before putting back in the freezer for the next day just to make sure they're fully frozen.
Only liquid I enjoy cold is beer.
Water for camel back is from tank before heading off. Thirst seems to be quenched better this way. Partner fills her camel with icy water twice a day compared to my once.

The only issue I have with the harness is it literally falls apart - stitching. Apparently Double D Leather have a new harness out that's a ripper, just awaiting it as I type. That will not fall apart I can bet.
Regards water? Find the same NJ with water, to cold can only take a mouthful at a time, where as with not so chilled can basically skull it. Never far from quad so carry a hip flask gave the camel backs away as the 2 or 3 kg was making me feel like a camel by days end. The legs at night let me know if I have consumed enough during the day, no cramps all good leg cramps, I need to drink more.

Latest posts