North Queensland Gold Panning Championships

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day All,

Had a day out with my wife to the panning championships up at Mareeba, this is an annual event run by the NQMA. Well I entered the Novice and the Skilled Mens, The adrenalin was pumping and all the processes you follow down at the creek go out the window when the judge yells GO! I came a close fourth in the Novice and well behind the winner of the Skilled. An old friend from from the Forum, Gold Miner came second in the Skilled.. time of 2:16 with 8 out of 10 found, the winner found 9 out of 10 well done and congrats mate!

The competition consists of a bucket of sand that has been laced with a number of gold pieces anywhere between 3 - 12 pieces. All competitors take a bucket containing the same amount of gold pieces and a small vial, the objective is to pan out the bucket and get as much of the gold in the vial in the fastest time. In the Novice there were 8 pieces, I found 6 pieces in a time of 4:16, fastest time, I missed two pieces.. 6 min penalty to me...

Great day and some great fun in the big tanks of water with a great bunch of people.

The inventor of the Turbo pan, Kim Hillier, was at the event and I had the opportunity to purchase one and get some personal tuition and pointers, as well as a bit of a chat with the inventor, thanks Kim! Bit of a change in techniques from a traditional pan but it seems the goods, we were pulling the sand out of the bottom of the competition troughs and picking up a few stray flakes from the competitors over exuberant panning..

All in all a great day out with my lady.

G'day Tone,

Sounds like a great day! Good to hear you got in there and gave it a good go, along with GM.

Boy, they certainly know how to lay on the punishment for those missed pieces! I would've thought around thirty seconds would be plenty for a missed piece given the speed at which you guys can finish a pan?

Best of luck if you go in it next time round!
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Latest posts