Nice old coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A citric acid bath might be the go with a light rub with bicarb. I have found some of my 1800s very hard to clean and needed multiple treatments. The results have been satisfying as a clean silver looks awesome.

With a few coins I have had no success completely removing a caked on black layer, suspect that is due to bushfires and a reaction to the 7.5% alloy in the coin. I have not treated them with stronger acids for fear of damaging them but I understand all silversmiths pickle their Stirling silver in acid to remove surface impurities prior to polishing, so I guess there would be a method that removes the black layer without too much damage.

Thanks Wally its having a bath as we speak. I will post more pics of the final result.

I am not sure on the dollar value Scrounger but I am also interested even though it will stay in the cupboard for one of the kids.

Cheers

Its actually a 1829 not a 1828 as I previously thought. Cleaning up nicely.

1532774285_2018-07-28_20.35.23.jpg

You must be happy with that result :party:

Fantastic coin :Y:

P.S. not too late for the coin of the month competition,hard to be for the chocolates :p

cracker of a coin . love it . you gotta wonder how long it is since a human held it the hand or cast eyes on it as with all the older ones .
johno

Very nice coin. I can't help myself either. I just have to see them shiny even if it devalues them a bit!

Latest posts