Newcastle Beach Newb

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I thought i'd put a first post up to say Hi.
I've been considering metal detecting for what feels like years but it never got to the top of my toy list.
A couple of months back i decided to make it happen and started researching detectors, my anticipated destination was mainly going to be treasure hunting local beaches and i'd given myself a budget of $500. so the google and you tube searches began and of course the realisation that $500 was not much and beach detecting had additional challenges. That's when i found this forum and through following a few threads the "which beginner detector" posts which had previously been raised.
Although nudging my budget i settled on the Mine lab Equinox 600 due to all the great feedback on here and a 20% off deal at Anaconda two week ago saw me pick up my new toy for just shy of $800.
I hadn't anticipated that for a machine with so much automation there would be so many settings :eek: Well 2 days of reading and playing saw me hit the beach for the first time and i struck gold !!!! :p
Well a $2 gold coin anyway. :money: .. I'll put a separate post up about my first trip and how i found the Nox on its first outing.
Thanks for the forum and all the answers you guys have given previously to others which allowed me to research and finally get into the game.
Steve
:cool:

Welcome POE. I live in Charlestown and bought a 2nd hand Deus off a fellow member about six months ago. Due to house renovations and kids soccer I've only taken it out a couple of times for a total of a 1c coin and alot of rubbish :/ so you're already doing better than me. Looking forward to giving it a proper go soon. Good luck with it mate.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I didn't realise there would be so many locals (Maitland, Lake Mac, Charlestown.) I'm in Tingira Heights so will be aiming to try most of the beaches between Central Coast and Port Stephens. I'll start getting my post together for my first 4 outings.

Latest posts