Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I enjoy getting out and about and looking for gems in the New England.
Diamonds have been an interest for a while but have looked for sapphires many times.
I am starting to develop an interest in precious metals.
So I thought I might hop on board on learn something new. :pickshovel: :gemstone:
MB

Thanks Jaros
I have already found some useful information and made a few posts. I was disturbed to find out State Parks & Wildlife were planning on banning fossicking in some areas around my home town. I have already alerted our MP

MBsearch said:
Thanks Jaros
I have already found some useful information and made a few posts. I was disturbed to find out State Parks & Wildlife were planning on banning fossicking in some areas around my home town. I have already alerted our MP
In general in NSW fossicking is not allowed in National Parks which includes State Conservation Areas, Wildlife areas, Karst areas etc. Basically anything under NPWS management.
The only areas it is allowed is in the Torrington State Conservation Area & a small area of Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve.
More info here: https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/...-and-protected-areas/park-policies/fossicking
You can apply for a permit but I'm yet to hear of anyone having one granted.
There may have been some other "local" areas where it was probably tolerated but not formally allowed. I doubt they ever will be.

There are designated fossicking areas like Staggy Creek and Nullamanna.
Copeton foreshore and surrounding hills are fossicking areas when I last looked on Minview
Let me know if I can help. I am mainly interested in my local district.
For info I am 30yr resource industry vet.

Those areas don't appear to be in NPWS areas?
Even if a NPWS area is in a fossicking district you cannot fossick there without their permission as per NSW resource legislation:
"Within a fossicking district, a person can go onto an exploration licence for the purpose of fossicking without the licence holder's consent, provided they have the permission of the landholder. A fossicking district may cover a small area, or an entire Local Government Area (LGA)."

Yes agree

Its a pity fossicking is so restricted.

I have asked the question about Tingha Plateau and will wait to see if I get a reply from NPWS.

Mining was a common occupation in our local area. Small family mining operations have now become a thing of the past because of onerous regulations and conditions.

Latest posts