Newbie Eldorado 6 day trip advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I have been waiting for this for a long time the plan for late next week is one week of sluice/gold panning in Eldorado/nearby staying in a camp ground nearby.
Staying alone 6 full days alone gold hunting and will be driving over from S.A yea im nuts but this has been a long time coming and 1st week off work in 3 years some piece and quiet away from everything is my idea of fun.

I would love some general advice on gear to take - 2 gold pans ,DIY sluice box ,buckets and shovel all i need to get me going? Is there enough water there around this time for a sluice box to function correctly?
Any tips tricks or anything will be greatly appreciated so i dont look like a total idiot haha.

Cheers :lol:

I did 3 trips up there this summer but water was fast becoming an issue but I think they had some rain this week, There was zero flow last time I went towards the end of January. Plenty of good spots thru there. Have fun. Balx

Balx said:
I did 3 trips up there this summer but water was fast becoming an issue but I think they had some rain this week, There was zero flow last time I went towards the end of January. Plenty of good spots thru there. Have fun. Balx

Thanks for the info mate!

First week off in three years?! I thought i was bad. I did a run up to Eldorado after Xmas. Take some crevicing tools. I knocked up a crevicing brush out of a old parts cleaning brush then modified it to get in deep for submerged crevices. Worked a treat!

Miteymuz said:
First week off in three years?! I thought i was bad. I did a run up to Eldorado after Xmas. Take some crevicing tools. I knocked up a crevicing brush out of a old parts cleaning brush then modified it to get in deep for submerged crevices. Worked a treat!

Crevicing sounds promising :D Ill have plenty of time to try my hand at it thankfully :D

That sounds unreal, my kind of a holiday. Let us know how you go, I'm taking the family for a holiday to Beechworth in July and plan to do the odd pan here and there along the creek.

Best of luck

Cheers,
Matt

Its been a very dry February also, only got a sprinkle of rain the other day, not much water anywhere in Vic at the moment.

V_8 said:
Its been a very dry February also, only got a sprinkle of rain the other day, not much water anywhere in Vic at the moment.

So im thinking I should have no need for a sluice then? Bummer!

milotl11 said:
V_8 said:

Take it cause you never know, Yackandanda is only around the corner it might be handy there. Only takes one decent storm to get the creek flowing. Cheers Balx

Balx said:
milotl11 said:
V_8 said:

Take it cause you never know, Yackandanda is only around the corner it might be handy there. Only takes one decent storm to get the creek flowing. Cheers Balx

Is there any flowing gold bearing creeks around to handle working a small sluice with flow at the moment or worth my time panning besides those two? i have some idea from scatterd info from this forum but never been.

:D Cheers mate

milotl11 said:
Balx said:
milotl11 said:
V_8 said:

Is there any flowing gold bearing creeks around to handle working a small sluice with flow at the moment or worth my time panning besides those two? i have some idea from scatterd info from this forum but never been.

:D Cheers mate
Mate I stuck with reedy so im not sure about the others, take it and see, doesnt take much rain to get a small flow going.

Mate i was in the area earlier in week there was a little trickle in the creeks will be plenty enough for what your up too. I did see a couple of people on both days on the creeks. I was getting a feel for my 5000 for the first time, clearing a spot of all its bullets and rusty nails lol

Between beechworth,yackandandah & eldorado there will be the perfict spot for you to run a sluice. Lots of area still around eldorado along reedy creek producing nice gold.
The caravan park at eldorado would make a great spot to park up for a few days to get your bearings also short drive anywhere for supplies.

I was on Reedy Creek last weekend when it rained, the water came up probably 8 inches from Friday night to Saturday Arvo (it stopped raining about 11:00ish Saturday morning) but after that it dropped pretty quick and by Sunday morning the water was back it its "normal" summer level and still dropping.

A mate of mine was out there today sluicing and took a photo of our regular spot and the water is even lower again, probably the lowest I've seen it this summer, having said that there is still going to be plenty of spots along the creek that you can dam up a few rocks and push some flow through your sluice as my mate did today.

There is good gold to be had out there still, lots of flood gold but if you can get deep there is a chance at some nice coarse gold too.

Good luck, be great to hear how you go.

Adam

milotl11 said:
1 quick question. Are you allowed to set ap a swag right next to reedy creek?
Yes mate heaps of camping grounds along the road, around the chinese gardens is pretty good, You will see the signs, They are posted just after the blue reflector poles. I think the official rule is 20 m from the creek bed.

If you cross the kangaroo crossing in on your right has a few nice camping spots for the next 3-4km you should find flowing water along there for the sluice.

One dollar mock yabbe pump haha could work?

261yr9w.jpg

Latest posts