New to metal detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm lukaz and I'm new to detecting , my wife got me one for Christmas it's a nice cheap one from eBay but hey its my first and I'm stoked to have one .
Ok as I'm just starting out I need some tips and tricks to where to go and signs of where potential may lay in waiting, I'm not expecting to find huge jackpots at all I just wanna have fun and learn as much as I can .
Thanks lukaz

Hi Lukas. Welcome to PA. Plenty of good reading and tips for you here.
Basically you want to detect where people gather. Parks, beaches, sports fields. Never dig on playing surfaces. Stick around the edges and under trees where people sit in the shade. Research really is the key. Watch some youtubes etc for good recovery techniques.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ramjet

Hey mate, im pretty new at it myself. The thing ive found, is just get out there, any where any time you can, and use your machine, the more you use it, the better you get at understanding it. Like ramjet said, u tube is handy, go to places where crowds geto or used to gather, plces like weekend markets, then hit that place on a monday arvo etc, somewhere where they have a once year boat and camping show for example. Addictive hobby , enjoy!

GPX5000, SDC2300, GPZ7000 comparison on Pilbara Gold Finds.

hi All,

just putting together some info i have complied from my experiences as a newbie to gold detecting here in the Pilbara, the results speak for themselves i feel.

in short if you have the experience with the GPX series and it works for you great if you are a newbie like myself i would suggest buy the latest technology that your budget can afford either the SDC2300 or the GPZ7000. i have both and for different reasons.
1451783854_gold_2015_minelab_v2.jpg

G'day Urks,
You might be finding gold and based on your findings but this advice you are giving is not correct as every persons situation is different to your own.

hi Bob,

yes absolutely correct in what you are saying, lots of different soil types and conditions, coils, detectors and information, sometimes this can be overwhelming with to many choices is what i found.
eg the GPX 5000 , i had 4 different coils, tried 754000 different settings and 2 plus years with a gazillion flies for that return of 1.1g which was a bonus.

i put it down to inexperience and more likely operator error on most occasions of zero finds and seems for me that sometimes less choices is better.

cheers :lol:

Welcome Lukaz enjoy.

Lots of good tips and info for the novice on this site don't forget to use the search feature.

Cheers and good luck.

Macca :D

Urks said:
GPX5000, SDC2300, GPZ7000 comparison on Pilbara Gold Finds.

hi All,

just putting together some info i have complied from my experiences as a newbie to gold detecting here in the Pilbara, the results speak for themselves i feel.

in short if you have the experience with the GPX series and it works for you great if you are a newbie like myself i would suggest buy the latest technology that your budget can afford either the SDC2300 or the GPZ7000. i have both and for different reasons.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6659/1451783854_gold_2015_minelab_v2.jpg

You sure have had to struggle with your gpx 5000 for 2+ years for only 1.1grams. :eek:
But your determination has kept you going so it seems you have gained some knowledge of where to detect and not just swing your gpx 5000 detector endlessly. You sure did something wrong or were in the wrong places. I've seen people have their coils too high off the ground, too fast swing speed, wrong settings...... Ect. If you know what I mean. I guess you pulled through all that so good on you for sticking with it, well done.
Remember it's the person using the detector that gets the results and the detector is just a tool.Even the old SD 2000 will still find gold in the right hands :cool:

yes Bob operator error i would say for most of the time i can only assume as the gold that i have found with the other detectors has come from the same places i visited with the 5000 so for me less options was more beneficial.
if it had not been for a work colleague wanting to buy my 5000 and advising me of the 7000 i would still have the 5000 so i have to thank him for that. He finds gold with it however he previously had the 3500 so was more experienced with them and the settings, options etc.

yes you are correct it is just a tool and can provide lots of brain teasing to optimize and get to understand which i find provides half the fun.

cheers and good hunting :)

Its a bit like lure fishing, I know a good barra fisherman who catches 90% of all his barra on gold bomber lures. Of course, he uses gold bomber lures 90% of the time.
Doesn, t matter what lure you use if you are casting it at the wrong spot, the result will be no barra.
Like gold hunting, if you are at a spot with no, or not much gold, it wont matter how good the detector is.

Latest posts