New to Detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ET Digger

Andrew
Reaction score
Hello fellow detectors, I have been doing some scratching around in rivers and creeks with my sluice box and pans for a while now and am thinking of having a crack at a detector.

I was hoping for some thoughts from you guys who have been doing this for a while so feel free to put in your two cents to these thoughts....

I would like to get into detecting with a detector and was thinking of trying before buying... I'm thinking of hiring a GPX 5000 for two days and heading out to Tuena creek, (as I live in Sydney) and just having a run along the river banks. Was planning on staying at the local caravan park overnight.

As for detectors, zero knowledge for 'gold' detectors, I have experience with F3 Minelabs but that was not looking for gold.........

There are so many out there, entry level the Eureka Gold sounds like it has good features but most reviews class this as an outdated machine. Then the other end of the spectrum would be the GPX 5000... Big dollars to spend but would hate to walk great distances with a poor machine to miss some good targets that I could have picked up with something a bit more quality...

GPX 4500???

Just some thoughts going through my head as I would like to expand my skills in this very interesting hobby :) :)

Mate, I think your idea of hiring a GPX5000 sounds like a good idea. I would also recommend that you also find tuition from someone on how to use it properly, good luck. :)

I'm in the same boat ET, i know i want to get a 5000 now - but cant. I will settle for a mid range/entry level detector for now while i save for the 5000, so i can just get out there - & hit the beaches & parks to calm the bug while i save.

I cant decide:

AT Gold
XTerra 705 Gold
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Eureka Gold....

Would love the forum community to take a vote on what they would buy out of anything around this range based on their knowledge and/or experience with these few...

Does minelab do certegy? (hahaha)

I have searched but not really a definitive answer, i lean toward the AT Gold but not sure why. If 80% members said 'Fisher' thats where i'd head, as everyone straight out says '5000' at the top range scale...

Goldbug Pro would also be a good all-rounder for goldfields, coins and jewellery - might be worth considering.

Latest posts