New Minelab Detector - any time soon?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:) Hi peeps, just wondering peoples thoughts on when minelab are going to bring out the next model after the GPX 5000?
The GPX 5000 came out in August 2010. So surely the next one wouldn't be too far away. I'm desperate to buy a 5000
but reckon id be disapointed if a new model comes out a few months after id bought it. Cheers Shane :)

Minelab have gone on the record saying that the 5000 will be the headline model for a time yet. It's fun to speculate but holding out in hope may see someone else put a coil over gold that you may have!

Talked to one of their technicians not too long ago and he said the same....They've spent all their time on the 3030 and to make a significant improvement on the 5000 will take quite some time. ;) When the new model eventually does come out it may have some gimmicks like an inbuilt GPS and another $1000 price tag but I can't see it being dramatically better than the current model. :/ ..Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks for the reply fellas! Another question does the GPX 5000's have a date issued on them for when they were built?Like Car engines?

And is there any Dvd's of significance worth watching before I go & spend my hard earned cash. Ive done the one training day with a Gold Detecting Company. But keen to learn a lot more. Cheers Shane

I've watched all of Jonathon Porters videos relating to GP and GPX machines and they were ALL well worth watching.

My 5000 doesn't have a date on it anywhere that I can see.

Is there someone, that knows someone, that knows something... comment on some sort of serial number thing?
ie, do the serial numbers tell a story as to when the machine was built?
I mean there obviously is in ML's systems, but is there a consumer database or similar?

Hello,
I agree with Wal on this one, I purchased a 5k last year, after using a XT17000 for the 15 + years. I am very happy with the new machine as it just gets better and better with every outing. I dont think that Minelab can really make many changes, I have been picking up sub gram nuggets at great depth (less than .1gm @ 8 + inches).
And Shane if you read this post and your budget will stretch, get a 5k, you will still have to walk over nuggets but you will do a lot less walking.

Cheers
Steve

I just got the go ahead from the Missus that I can upgrade my 4500 to the latest GPX or what ever they call it when they are released - Yeah!!!

Just wondering if anyone on the grape vine has heard of a possible release Month/Date? year? Releases in the past were approximately 2006 for the gpx4000, April(ish) 2008 for the gpx4500, August(ish) 2010 for the gpx5000, that would make the next one pretty much overdue?

I had heard that the sales of the GPX 5000 were still so strong that a new model was still not planned for anytime soon.

So many of the GPX 5000 are going into Africa.

The new 3030 with the colour display was the newest release and the suggestion is that there may be a version of the 5000 released with the new display graphics before any totally new model is released.

Still all of these are rumours ...albeit from knowledgeable people.

regards

I was told they were going to bring out a detector specifically for going real deep but no good on small/shallow, to complement the 5000 which excels at small shallow stuff.
Good way to get more money by making us buy two detectors! But that same person also told me it would be released by now :rolleyes: They are a Minelab dealer so might be some truth to it.
Also heard the 5k was getting pimped with wireless audio, coil cable in the shaft and a few other things from the 3030.
Who knows could all be BS.

DD

I don't think it is all BS but they are becoming smarter with their marketing and they know that a second hand unit holds its value so anyone that is really keen will keep on buying the next one and selling off their old ones.

I was under the impression that the 5000 was better for deep traces than the 4500 rather than shallow???

regards

Diggerdude said:
Also heard the 5k was getting pimped with wireless audio, coil cable in the shaft and a few other things from the 3030.
Who knows could all be BS.

DD
Keep hearing & reading similar - that the next GPX will be a 5000 with the 3030 bells & whistles. Some good bells & whistles on the 3030 too but wonder what the price jump would be with them?

I emailed minelab and asked the question, their official line is:

"Hi Chris

You may have to wait quite awhile yet as there is not a new GPX5000 on the horizon. The current model is still a great performer and if you have to wait then you may be missing out on the big one

Regards PXX" :|

The following information was passed onto me to post for someone who wishes not to be named.

NEW MACHINE RUMOURS

During the recent Codan AGM, it was announced that Minelab are working on some new detectors. Yes, of course this is true!, but some have erroneously assumed that this meant that a new high-end gold machine will be released within the next 12 months.The fact of the matter is that Minelab are looking into new technologies in gold detection, but a new top end product release certainly significantly further than 12 months away.

In the mean time, the GPX5000 remains our flagship gold detector, and will be so for the foreseeable future.

The GPX 5000 continues to be king of the goldfields, with many new and significant gold nugget finds in recent times. Check the Minelab Success Stories page and Minelab Times newsletter for the latest lucky strikes.

Jeff Nicotra
Australian & New Zealand BDM

that info was released before the meeting, so your source has no reason to hide his identity.
at the meeting minelab announced that three detectors will be released,
the high end gold detector is not due to be released in the next twelve months and will be a whole new platform never seen before. it has been tested in our ground.
the other two will be an entry level and a mid level. I believe these two will be released earlier and
are based on the current platform.
no secrets here, all has been announced already.
regards trashmagnet

Latest posts