Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a newbie, I don’t have a metal detector as of yet, I’m currently just trying to gather as much info as I can before I make a purchase and spots to start searching , I figure it will be a good hobby and nice way for me and the wife to go for walks and see the beautiful places and nature Victoria has on offer. And there’s always the bonus of finding something of value.

Hi Madfish. Welcome.
Sounds like you would like to take up prospecting as much for the experience as anything.
So I would hold off buying a detector for a bit until you have a little more information and decide how much time and energy you would like to put into the hobby.
People on this forum would be only too willing to give you advice, but there is nothing like actually meeting someone with experience to have an more detailed and lengthy conversation with.
My first recommendation would be to contact a prospecting club near you. You would have an opportunity to meet and talk to the people you need to. Clubs often organise group excursions and camps where you would be able to see how and with what other people do their prospecting. Many people are happy with panning and gem fossicking.
So have a talk with one and organise to go along and meet with other members and after that I am sure you will have a much better idea as to how involved you want to get in the hobby and many more questions that you would be welcome to ask here.
If you scroll down the home page, you will see a topic for some prospecting clubs in Victoria. Also just google prospecting clubs.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Latest posts