New bridge for Oallen Forde NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in a nut shell , at the new bridge at oallen ford are we able to fossick? Seems confusing to me plus with the added map which I have no idea of where it is does it mean its off limits?

Danielkrupski said:
So in a nut shell , at the new bridge at oallen ford are we able to fossick? Seems confusing to me plus with the added map which I have no idea of where it is does it mean its off limits?

The crown lands boundaries do not include the riverbed and up to the high flood mark - no problem with fossicking , with the new bridge and approach earthworks it is unknown at this point whether we can drive onto the gravel bar that extends 300meters or so downstream of the bridge. someone needs to go and have a look (I may do that on Friday 11th sept if time permits).

Cheers
Barry

Woohoo at Last - the new Oallen bridge has opened , going for a drive today to see how access to the river has altered with the earthworks, attached is a pic someone took yesterday just before it was opened.

Cheers

Barry

1441927237_11954722_1639712266314736_1371496991338420758_n.jpg

Hi All, I headed out to Oallen today to have a look at the finished bridge, I am pleased to say that access to the gravel bar downstream of the bridge will be ok, it would appear that a track on the western side has been made to allow access under the bridge and downstream onto the long gravel bar. However all former vehicular access via the eastern side (downstream side) is gone. After talking with the construction guys today the new track of crushed rock was provided for the Rural Fire Service and other authorities to access the river for water.

Looking at it today I could see a problem if the river suddenly rises - one could have the only way out blocked by floodwater.

All photos were taken from the south (Nerriga) side.

rgds
Barry

1441959913_oallen_004.jpg

1441959913_oallen_001.jpg

1441959913_oallen_002.jpg

1441959913_oallen_003.jpg

Nice pick's there Barry.
The new bridge looks great, they have done an excellent job but I'll miss the old rattly one.
And no graffiti yet!
Did you by any chance get to go under the bridge and have a look?

Had a bit of a test pan nothing jumped out at me. As far as driving further down on the gravel bar I didn't have my 4WD with me.

backcreek said:
Nice pick's there Barry.
The new bridge looks great, they have done an excellent job but I'll miss the old rattly one.
And no graffiti yet!
Did you by any chance get to go under the bridge and have a look?

Thanks for checking that out and the report!

Hopefully there will no problems into the future in getting under the bridge. I'll miss stopping on the old one for a quick look at what's happening but the new bridge will be good for locals and people passing through. cheers.

If heading out this way soon please be careful.
The new road is deteriorating badly. A motorcyclist died there on the weekend after hitting a pothole.
From all reports there were some prospectors there on the day who offered valuable assistance.

I was out there on the weekend, I was able to drive down stream from bridge still on the gravel bar. I did notice people have already driven over and through barriers preventing erosion wash down into the river, and the usual picking up everyone else's rubbish left behind. It won't be long if the area is off limits to everyone

Off memory wasnt the bridge put off for a while or moved because the land actually belongs to the aboriginals? So wouldnt that make part of the area not saying all of the area, under their durisdiction not the actual counsil?

Pawny said:
Off memory wasnt the bridge put off for a while or moved because the land actually belongs to the aboriginals? So wouldnt that make part of the area not saying all of the area, under their durisdiction not the actual counsil?

Hi Pawny, I believe it is a land claim only - no decision yet.
Cheers
Barry

Hi,
I've never been to Oallen but I am dying to explore the area.
Me and my better half are only new to prospecting,having caught the bug in Bendigo
We're hooked.
Just want to know if there are any other places to do some Highbanking other then near the bridge? Is there any places in between Oallen Bridge and Nerriga that we can use the Highbanker? We have a good 4wd!!!

Thanks Guys!! :)

The area is great for panning greenhorn . Although the gold is very fine it is very wide spread and colour is very easy to find. One of the best spots I know for beginners to find gold :)

Gaz

Latest posts