Nerrigundah

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
Has anyone tried their luck in Nerrigundah and if so, what did you find?

DD is spot on with the leaches......also had to remove 3 ticks on my last visit :eek: and swore that those hills are only for the young and the keen. The gold is up there, but you earn every bit you get.

Cheers Wal.

Oh ok. I have been talking to some aboriginal elders who have lived there in the past and they said there is some good gold there and might show me where.

Worth the look mate, but very hostile environment, and only worth a look during the winter months. Leave your big coils at home as there's plenty of undergrowth between the nuggets.

Good luck up there and hope you "Ping" a few.

Cheers Wal.

Hopefully I will be having a look down there at the end of the month, weather permitting. A lot of the fire trails out there get very slippery after rain.

kleinman98 said:
Has anyone tried their luck in Nerrigundah and if so, what did you find?

G'day John. It was over twenty years ago, we were coming back from Nerrigundah towards the coast (memory is a bit foggy as to actually where). We'd been detecting here and there on a very hot day with no luck. Along the road above the creek we saw a lot of diggings in amongst the trees and we decided to have a quick run around just for fun before it got too dark.

I wandered up amongst the heaps and about five minutes after starting, got a good signal. I dug down near the side of an ants nest and had to fend them off all the time while digging, but the signal was too good to let go so I persevered with them biting. At about six inches or so deep I noticed the glint of gold as a lump slid back into the hole I was digging. A beautiful clean teardrop shaped nugget of half an ounce was won. Must have been fool's luck. I've always wanted to go back there one day - and I will.

Gday Walnliz,

My brother and I have been doing some research on the nerrigundah area, and it seems a lot of the area is gold ore, is it still worth detecting around these areas?

I'm not after your spot, but can you suggest areas worth trying? or even advise on places not to go.

We are focusing on areas between coman n cadgee, hoping to find maybe a few chunks with gp xtreme's.

Just a newbie here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Gp xtreme team :D

P.s Thanks to Kleinman98 for asking the question!! That popped up on my google search. and thank you all for your suggestions and advice. :)

Cheerz.

gpxtrmeteam

The whole field was quite productive and take no notice of anything you read on being a gold ore area only. Many nuggets in the area and the gully's are the place to concentrate on. Keep to coils 11" and smaller.

The nuggets aren't big but we've got plenty between the one and six gram mark. Plenty of ticks and leaches as well and winter is by far the best time to explore it.

Cheers Wal.

I am currently exploring the Nerrigundah area. I have not taken the detector out there yet though. I am just trying to sample all the creeks to make myself a bit of a sample map outlining what creeks are holding gold and what ones are not. I am hoping this will eventually give me a good map for what areas to run the detector over. I know many people talk about Gulph Creek as being OK, but I have it on good faith that there are a lot better creeks up there to get gold. I know this is going to take me a while but I think the end result will be well worth it. After that I will start with the detector and do the same.

So far I have only come across three leeches (on the ground, not on me) and no ticks. Maybe this was only luck, but in saying this, the area has been very very dry.

Just for your info, there are some good size nuggets still floating around up in them there hills of Nerrigundah. Although I have yet to find any, I have seen them, and they are worth putting the hard yards in for.

gpxtrmeteam, are you local to the area?

Thanks Wal, inspiring info cheers! I've heard of a few accounts of nuggets, but its always reassuring when you speak to the source. :)

G'day Willo1, Sounds like youve taken on quite the challenge there... but its always better with a solid map. We have been using DIGS to get all our basic knowledge, history and maps...
Thanks also for the reassurance! Nothing better than hearing positive feedback and info on the area youve been researching... And As they say, 'youve just gotta walk over it....!' so bring on a free weekend...

No leeches as yet, but a few ticks, but they have been from working in the garden down the coast...

My brother is in Bodalla, and i'm in Canberra

Hi my name is Cindy and my husband and I only started prospecting today. I know the original post was for Nerrigindah but was doing some research about it earlier and when I saw your post I thought it might be worth asking a few questions. We spent a few hours at Oallen today just pottering around trying to get used to our new detector. We are keen to find some other locations around the South Coast. Can anyone give us a bit of advice

I have done most of my detecting on the beaches but I am sure that you will find someone here that could help. I will be at Oallen for the next two days.

Good luck John we tried the left hand side coming from Nerriga found lots of tin cans seems people can bring their rubbish but not take it home very frustrating. Did find a 20 cent piece though lol was quite deep so surprised by that only $999.80 to go before it pays for it's self......

kora said:
Hi my name is Cindy and my husband and I only started prospecting today. I know the original post was for Nerrigindah but was doing some research about it earlier and when I saw your post I thought it might be worth asking a few questions. We spent a few hours at Oallen today just pottering around trying to get used to our new detector. We are keen to find some other locations around the South Coast. Can anyone give us a bit of advice

Narooma has some nice nuggets. Some big nuggets around mogo. It's possible to jag a few at Bermagui too. Try these three places. Most of the scrub is thick like Nerrigundah , but no leaches :)

DD

Latest posts