NAPFA General News, Member Information & Updates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to join mainly in order to make a donation to a good cause but was just wondering are there any benefits with membership which are exclusive to those that join ?

Edit: Applied and paid but still curious to the above question

I don't know about any benefits, though I joined selfishly for a chance at winning a minelab GPX4500 for only $25 dollars and if my membership supports a cause for the hobby well all the better ;)
Boulders said:
I am going to join mainly in order to make a donation to a good cause but was just wondering are there any benefits with membership which are exclusive to those that join ?

Edit: Applied and paid but still curious to the above question

The biggest benifit would be the feeling that comes from supporting the group of dedicated people who have been fighting goverment idiocricy and BS red tape to keep the prospecting dream alive and they have been doing it much longer than i even new they existed.
Imo.
Plus not to mention the ladies and fanfare that plaques NAPHA members :D

greencheeks77 said:
I don't know about any benefits, though I joined selfishly for a chance at winning a minelab GPX4500 for only $25 dollars and if my membership supports a cause for the hobby well all the better ;)

$25 ticket to win a machine worth a few grand. I might sign up the whole family now. :D Is a 4 year old eligible also..... Lol

Not only do you have the chance of winning a detector,
You are adding to our voice to retain our rights to keep
enjoying our Hobby.
We need the numbers and the more members we have,
The louder we are.
Thank You for Joining up.

All fossickers interested in the Tibooburra Area please note that the Plan of Management for the Sturt National Park is being reviewed. You can have your say by 17 JULY.

While NAPFA will put in a submission, please consider having your own say to potentially get fossicking back onto areas where fossicking was allowed before it became national park.

As a rule of thumb, it looks to me like the area in the park south of the Gas Line could be carved out as a section of the park where fossicking could be permitted, with consent and with some park controls. That would take in areas close to Tibooburra but allow sufficient roaming space within the general area. This is a very small percentage probably less than 5% of the overall park which is about One Million Ha. I can stand corrected if someone wants to measure it up. It takes in the Whitta Brinnah range and known gold locations near Tibooburra.

The document says the last area of park was reserved after 2003 when mineral and mining interests expired on Whitta Brinnah, one of the old stations there.

GET BUSY FOLKS THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE HEARD.

Details below:

Cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Public exhibition of Sturt National Park Draft Plan of Management

The Sturt National Park Draft Plan of Management has been prepared and is being exhibited in accordance with the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974. Sturt National Park is located in the far north-west corner of New South Wales, approximately 330 kilometres north of Broken Hill and 400 kilometres west of Bourke. The park extends to the north, east and west of the town of Tibooburra and is bordered by Queensland to the north and South Australia to the west.
Sturt National Park is managed by NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS), part of Office of Environment and Heritage.
The draft plan of management can be viewed at https://engage.environment.nsw.gov.au/consult
You are invited to make a written submission on the draft plan of management.
Submissions need to be received by 17 July 2017. You can provide your written submission in one of the following ways:
i. use the online submission form at https://engage.environment.nsw.gov.au/consult
ii. email your submission to [email protected]
iii. post your submission to NPWS Planner, Sturt NP Draft PoM, NPWS, PO BOX 1049 Griffith NSW 2680

Your submission will be provided to a number of statutory advisory bodies as outlined above. Your comments on the draft plan may include personal information. OEH complies with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 which regulates the collection, storage, quality, use and disclosure of personal information. For details see OEH and your privacy. Information that in some way identifies you may be gathered when you use our website or send us an email.

Your submission, in whole or part, or as part of a summary, may be made publicly available on our website. If you object to such publication, please indicate that on your submission. Should an access application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 be received that requests access to your submission, your views about release will be sought, if you have indicated that you object to it being made public.

Yours sincerely

STEPHEN MOORE A/ TEAM LEADER
PARK MANAGEMENT PLANNING
NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
Contact officer: STEPHEN MOORE (02) 44222341

No I don't believe there is any connection. The Mt Sturt thing is one NAPFA has been watching for a while, and by coincidence the Plan of Management review has come up at the same time as the Fees on the Common issue. When you think about it, if the Fee had the impact of discouraging fossickers, then there would be little incentive to encourage them in any other way. Also the policy for Consent to fossick is still being drafted, and is not yet a reality, so would not be known by the parties concerned. So I don't consider there is any connection.

Hopefully the increased awareness raised by the Common issue might encourage more forum members to put their writing skills to good use with their own submissions, short and simple or long and complex depending on their level of enthusiasm and knowledge of the area and the importance of tourism there.

cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

If anyone is interested I am doing a radio interview with ABC 666 (Canberra) around 10.30 today. You can tune in locally or via the ABC local radio App. It is with Geneveive Jacobs on morning show. Will be talking about the new Eurobodalla Fossicking District and fossicking generally.

cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Latest posts