NAPFA General News, Member Information & Updates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feedback; I've checked the interview. It starts at 1.30:25 and runs for about 10 minutes. That is a generous length of time for such an interview, so I think the ABC, and Genevieve for it.

I had fun and hopefully it portrays us in a good light!

cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Good stuff Stephen

LOL at the comment that 2.5 oz was not a big nugget. I suspect I and many others would be still drooling!

Thanks for continuing your and NAPFA efforts for increasing access.

I have made this submission to the Mt Sturt National Park plan review. Hopefully someone reads it there.

Having been an avid gold prospector in the Tibooburra Mount Brown region since 1990 I know the area well. The town does very well out of people detecting for gold on the common and various stations in the area. Without gold prospectors the town will suffer a great deal. Many of us stay for weeks at a time. Our stay last visit was for 7 weeks when we stayed in the caravan park and detected the town common and other areas. We ate in the hotels many times as well as the roadhouse. We shopped at both the roadhouse and the Corner Country Store. Our trip before that was for three weeks when we followed the same procedure. I am also a freelance journalist and have written many articles on the Corner Country goldfields that have attracted thousands of prospectors over the years. Flyspeck Hill was one of our best finds in 1992 with people finding gold there even today. I have written a guide book on prospecting Tibooburra (Tibooburra Gold) and sold 100's of copies, some through the Corner Country Store. I do know one thing, the gold on the common is still readily found using a Minelab SDC2300 gold detector but it won't last forever. If more ground isn't opened up in the Sturt National Park and the Common remains open for visiting prospectors then the town will die a painful death. Tibooburra and surrounding goldfields has always been a poor man's goldfield and remains so today. The gold found around Tibooburra is typically very small, sometimes so small it will take 16 or 17 bits to make a gram. No one is going to make money detecting at Tibooburra. It is the avid detectorist who is simply a hobbiest that detects around Tibooburra. Mostly we love the area, the scenery and the isolation the gold is simply very thin icing on the cake. To open some area of the Sturt National Park will give new life to Tibooburra but until that happens it is vital the Town Common remains open

Best regards, Jim Foster.

There is one Victorian prospecting club that is going there this year ,they normally stay in the caravan park and detect local ,they are looking at staying out off town this year Tibooburra's lose regards john :)

Latest posts