Nan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a call from mrs Chewy while I was away that my grandmother had taken a turn for the worse and didn't have long left. Today just before I left to come home, found out that early this morning she passed on. It was her grandfather who had the gold mine or was an investor or whatever that I posted about a while back. Anyway Nan was 101, and would have actually turned 102 on May 4th. So she had a very good innings. It was her time. But wow! What a life. The things that she would have seen. Over 100 years of a changing world. Good onya Nan, you'll be missed. 8.(

That generation is a goldmine in itself, all the experience's they endured and embraced and all the acquired knowledge and wisdom gained is wealth that cannot be measured.
Condolences Chewy to you and all who loved her.
Regards Steve

Sorry for your loss Chewy mate, I hope you had lots of good times and memories, the oldies have soo many great conversations in them, but with the young ones these days not everyone is a winner at times, my old granny cooked the best eggs on toast with the old coke stove, and was full of love. She went to 97 and still had all her children alive too. We all seem to get something extra out of life when the old ones go a good innings, even when they don't though there are still profound impacts ,.... my Dad lost his Mum when he was just 2, so was brought up by his granny through the depression years in the company of aged minds of wisdom, he I now miss too. 8.(
All the best with the time at hand mate, sometimes at the saddest of occasions we have the most fortuitous reunions.
Silver. :)

Goodonya Nan! She sure saw so many crucial world events, advances in tech, the population explode with new cultures etc.

So sorry to hear of your loss Chewy. She must have been a grand old lady. :)
The comment you made about coming from the horse and cart to man on
the moon is a very poignant one.
My Grandmother's both could easily remember the sinking of the Titanic, 3 World wars,
The evolution of the motor car and my Father's Mother, Electricity coming to their home.
My Mum's mother passed at 98 and my Fathers at 87.

Thanks everyone. Yeah she had a hell of a life. I remember she used to freak out if she saw a mouse. She explained that when she was a little girl she had lived through a mouse plague. She said the mice would be running over the ground everywhere and it was like a moving carpet of mice that would jump and run all over you with nowhere to escape them. She said laying in bed at night they would be running about all over you through the bed and up walls. She told me she hated Japanese. All "Japs" as she called them, because a Japanese sniper killed her brother in New Guinea in ww2. (We never took any of the Japanese exchange students we've had with us to meet her obviously) I used to think it was racist but I think it was more a case of it being personal. The sniper was killed by one of my great uncles mates who got him after 3 days of being pinned down not being able to move an inch. I asked her once what her best time ever memory was of. Nan was a WAAF in ww2. (Women's Australian Air Force) and she said her fave memory of her life was sneaking out with the RAAF piliots and them taking her for a thrill ride in a fighter. Not sure if it was a spitfire or a Hurricane. But she said she got the whole loop the loop and barrel rolls and low fly over like a rat out of an aqueduct. It occurred to me then she had seen the height of technology of the day progress to the Apollo missions and space shuttles. Unreal. It's a bit sad to know she's gone but I kinda feel I should be celebrating her for having such a long and interesting life. Yeah, I'm proud of her. :)

Very sorry for your loss Chewy........ seems a common comment that everyone nan was a sweety..... I know my nan (granny) was.
She's probably looking down reading your comments & smiling on you mate.
R.I.P. nan.
Rob.

Latest posts