Myrtleford, Bright area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I'm going to Bright this weekend with my son as he races down hill push bikes. (crazy sport).
Can anyone point me in a direction where you can detect up there. PM me if you don't want everyone to know ;)
Thanks in advance

G,Day JR. I dont know of any nuggets being found but you could try in the pines on the RH side of the wandiligong Rd between Bright and Wandiligong. There are plenty of diggings that have been partially filled between the road and Morses creek. Dont forget a pan either. ;)

Had you thought of morning detecting followed by arvo panning, or even taking some 20lt buckets to bring the best looking wash home for processing?

fft..

Gypsy

Thanks for the info guys.
I ended up driving around for a couple of hours and saw a few mines into the side of the hills. Took my daughter with me. Overall I ended up just watching the young bloke racing and helping out with them. It does get very busy.
As a dad i feel very in touch with the young fellas and love spending time with them.
Consequently i didn't get any prospecting in but had a great weekend. Took all of the gear for nothing but as a dad i loved what i did.
Maybe next time.
Thanks agian

jarrahrules said:
Thanks for the info guys.
I ended up driving around for a couple of hours and saw a few mines into the side of the hills. Took my daughter with me. Overall I ended up just watching the young bloke racing and helping out with them. It does get very busy.
As a dad i feel very in touch with the young fellas and love spending time with them.
Consequently i didn't get any prospecting in but had a great weekend. Took all of the gear for nothing but as a dad i loved what i did.
Maybe next time.
Thanks agian

That happens all the time for me, kids won't let me do anything without them and I'm terrified they will fall down an old shaft.

Just to be clear is metal detecting allowed in Bright Vic ? as were heading that way in the Sept school holidays.

Gday jarrarules,
It sounds like you had a great time with the kids and that's gold in itself..
You have invested in there future while securing hot own.
Great stuff.
Cheers Steve :D

Thanks steve.
Yep they grow up so quick. He will have his license in a coupe of months then we'll never see him.
All good though he said I can still go the races with him.

ok i have been trying to research and collect information about the bright harrietville goldfields area and cannot find hardly any information i know there was a huge dredge up there but cant find much more than that if anyone could recommend a good book or link a website i would be very great-full !

I can't help you regarding a book, but I do remember watching the dredge in operation late 40's early 50's, it was quite a noisy operation and we would go for a family drive up that way on a regular basis. The few little dredge buckets that you see around town today are not from the big dredge as they were monsters. The dredge was the largest in the southern hemisphere at the time and was eventually dismantled and sent to Malaysia.

There was also a large water wheel at Wandiligong used for crushing, up from Bright and there is a digging reserve there.

My first school teacher had came from Porpunkah and he his own gold mine up the head waters of the Buckland river somewhere, but I don't know where. He would bring quartz to school and have us use his motar and pestle to smash it up, but I never saw any gold from that effort. He retired in the early 50's and spent most of his time playing around at his mine.

You can find some information via the Web, using a range of different queries.

Rob.

PabloP said:
I can't help you regarding a book, but I do remember watching the dredge in operation late 40's early 50's, it was quite a noisy operation and we would go for a family drive up that way on a regular basis. The few little dredge buckets that you see around town today are not from the big dredge as they were monsters. The dredge was the largest in the southern hemisphere at the time and was eventually dismantled and sent to Malaysia.

There was also a large water wheel at Wandiligong used for crushing, up from Bright and there is a digging reserve there.

My first school teacher had came from Porpunkah and he his own gold mine up the head waters of the Buckland river somewhere, but I don't know where. He would bring quartz to school and have us use his motar and pestle to smash it up, but I never saw any gold from that effort. He retired in the early 50's and spent most of his time playing around at his mine.

You can find some information via the Web, using a range of different queries.

Rob.

i think the mine you would be talking about would be red robin mine which is up above the kiewa west river in the his if so that mine is still being worked !

Hi Gappa
I have a shack at Mt Beauty & chase gold all through the Bright area on a regular basis

Firstly all the major rivers & creeks are all on the banned list
However the locals dont seem to mind as i often see people panning & sluicing in Morses Creek right in Bright
When confronting them about the possibility of a fine, they claim the local rangers couldnt care less as long as it is only panning & sluicing
I personally wouldnt risk it

I have done the Eldorado thing & though i got lots of gold it is fine with heaps of black sand. I like chunky gold

My next adventure will be over to Stanley & some of the small creeks in that area

The Red Robin mine is now closed for the lack of a permit to continue

There is gold all through the area but make sure you do research. Google is your friend

Regards

Dirty Harry

dirtyharry said:
Hi Gappa
I have a shack at Mt Beauty & chase gold all through the Bright area on a regular basis

Firstly all the major rivers & creeks are all on the banned list
However the locals dont seem to mind as i often see people panning & sluicing in Morses Creek right in Bright
When confronting them about the possibility of a fine, they claim the local rangers couldnt care less as long as it is only panning & sluicing
I personally wouldnt risk it

I have done the Eldorado thing & though i got lots of gold it is fine with heaps of black sand. I like chunky gold

My next adventure will be over to Stanley & some of the small creeks in that area

The Red Robin mine is now closed for the lack of a permit to continue

There is gold all through the area but make sure you do research. Google is your friend

Regards

Dirty Harry

if you have a shack in mt beauty then surely you know the town of dederang ! its my hometown !!!

and the bright ranger is a top bloke wouldnt fine you unless you were really doing a big no no like dredging or something i know him personally drank many of stubbies with him :D
let me know if you would like to meet up oneday!! i and buy a sdc2300 in a few weeks so if your chasing chunky gold i mite be able to help with the sdc2300 !

All I know of the area is it was heavily worked by an influx looking for alluvial gold. There was a big problem between the Chinese and white miners, which culminated in the Bucland river riots. I think two Chinese were killed, but the number is suspected to be a lot higher, as bodies turned up afterwards.

yeah I have found a lot of information on the riots but that doesn't tell me where the yellow is ;)

Gappa44 said:
i think the mine you would be talking about would be red robin mine which is up above the kiewa west river in the his if so that mine is still being worked !

The Buckland river runs into the Ovens near Bright. I would think that the Kiewa West River would be in the Kiewa valley. I think his spot was way south down the Buckland valley towards Mt Selwyn, near the group of reefs such as Miners Right Reef.

Rob

Latest posts