My second coin find.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC75

Steveo
Reaction score
Found this coin/token out in the gold fields a couple of weeks ago.
I don't think it was minted in 1854 and i can't find the date when it was, does anyone have any idea?
1477728203_img_1978.jpg

1477728223_img_1979.jpg

Found these in the same location.
1477728268_img_1980.jpg

Awesome finds. The silver item is probably a Vesta case, ( early matches)> The token is an great find. Some info on it.....

James Nokes issued two halfpenny tokens in 1854. One of tokens is of particular significance because it captures the great excitement of the Victorian public at the arrival of the new Lieut. Governor, Sir Charles Hotham, KCB. Inscribed 'IN COMMEMORATION OF THE LANDING OF SIR CHARLES HOTHAM 22d JUNE 1854.' The token is a reminder that in the months before the Eureka Rebellion, Hotham enjoyed the support and affection of the Victorian public.

One of medallist W.J. Taylor's stock dies, the seated figure of Australia bearing an olive branch and a staff, was also used as a reverse for Nokes' tokens.

Nokes apparently came to Melbourne from Hobart, where he had run a grocery store, around 1852. This appears to be the case as his name does not appear in Commercial or other directories for the previous two years. In 1853, the year before issuing his tokens, 'James Nokes, Wholesale and Retail Grocer' was listed at 113 Swanston Street. Soon after issuing this token, Nokes sold his grocery business to T.W. Thomas & Co. Thomas took up the Bourke Street premises and the Lonsdale St. address was leased to J.G. Robinson, another grocer. Robinson left Victoria for England during the recession of 1855.

The final mention of Nokes' name is in the list of Insolvents appearing before the insolvents Commission on Monday 27 October 1856. He was appearing for a Special Certificate Meeting, one of the final stages of the insolvency process in force at the time. Gardner states that 'Prior to selling out [to Thomas] he appears to have got into monetary difficulties, and it is believed he returned to Tasmania' (1913, p.11). Judging by the report in the Argus, Nokes must have returned to Tasmania in late 1856 at the earliest.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2108

Yes thanks a lot Ramjet :) Interesting information you found there mate. Thanks again.

Thanks Sandta. I was pretty stoked when i found the coin. Can't wait to find my 3rd coin/token :D

Very nice find SC75, the vesta case is just as nice. If sterling silver, it may have hallmarks on top of the main body, around the rim. :)

Thanks Goldpick. I will give it a good scrub up when i knock off from work.

Thanks mate. I got a little lucky on that one. I was on the search for gold and found the coin in old workings.

:eek: hallmarks :D
Now do the research and find out who where and when it was made
.... then let us know ... of course ;)
Cleaned up quite well
Brilliant piece :) would be pride of place here

I still haven't forgotten about the Holloways ointment jar Sandta. I will find another one mate and will send it up ;) just might take me a little while.

SC75 said:
I still haven't forgotten about the Holloways ointment jar Sandta. I will find another one mate and will send it up ;) just might take me a little while.

Thats ok mate ... im not going anywhere ;) :lol:
Im stoked :cool:
Thanks again

Wally there is a S after the L but its really faint. Might need to zoom in with a iPhone.

Latest posts