My mini highbanker build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It had crossed my mind when I seen some at the recovery yard the other day but they use them for storing stuff. I think I'll end up with expanded metal though. In the meantime, I might drag one of the old wooden drop riffle sluice boxes out and see how they go with a pump... they definitely work well in a flowing creek. My first one worked the best but I left it on a creek bank - planned on going back the next morning - and it flooded overnight so, it's somewhere between Mia Mia and Lake Eppalock. lol

Just of rohs rd next to the storage centre and Hunters they build commer,ial walkways (their name escapes me). Anyway i didn't get there today, maybe not till Friday. If your chasing a breadcrate again send a holler can get them any day. I've got a spare I'm about to cut down that will have plenty left over i only need a 20cm width from it. Is good to try a few different things when you have a custom build sorting out pitch and flow etc, you can never have too many options or surfaces for trapping. I spend more time testing things than i do getting colours i feel sometimes. Spent 4 hours for about thirty decent specks and 2 pickers today crevicing and trying a new sluice. If i just pulled out three banker could have got anything up to and over a gram but first you need confidence in the equipment, then the gold, them its a case of going until it runs out, at least that's the way i like to do it. Good luck again tuz

Thanks Goldtarget. I'll keep that in mind. I most definitely spend more time testing things and researching areas than I do in the field. Looking to change that! I've got a good quiet area to go to that I've already plucked nearly a gram out of (from 2 crevices - just panning).. just need some equipment on the go. Half thinking about making a smaller sluice with just ribbed matting in it, classifying down to 1/4 inch and running it through.. might be slow but beats panning. Already exceeded my budget on this thing. I'm really just all over the place at the moment.. need to make up my mind and stick to it but there's just so many options.

Bought a (very) used petrol powered pump on eBay for a whopping $45 today. I'm yet to pick it up and basically the only details I have thus far about it is it runs and it's a Honda engine. From the pics it looks to be about 2" but may be bigger. It should do the job I need it to. Also bought classifiers at Aussie Disposals.. they're on sale at the moment for $39.95 (normally $10 more). Had to buy a bucket to suit from Bunnings though - the classifiers are a little wider than the average 20L bucket and biggest I could find was 13L. Should be good enough. Will hopefully be out prospecting on the weekend. :D

I see i made a blunder. Between rodwells and storage. Martin is the owner. Was hoping to get there tom or Friday. Hope the pump is a winner. If you have the time i have an am grubsteak if you feel the need. It's not the"fit" in my prospecting kit i had hoped for, it sure does the job at 1/4 inch, but not really needed. First thing i ever purchased that i couldn't really see me using over the long haul so prob end up giving it to the nephew eventually, small and easy to use, but your welcome to borrow it even just to see what it's like and run some material through. Down side prob need to pan out but will catch it all, did solid testing.

Cool. Might take you up on that offer if things don't work out as planned. Thanks GT.

Plans for the weekend are shot to hell already. Went out to the creek I planned on digging up and there's not a drop of water in sight. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Have you considered running the pump with full voltage for efficiency and plumbing the excess back to the sump via a flow control valve. Easier to get consistency in flow unless you have very good voltage control.

For 6" wide sluice a 2000 gph pump from Super Cheap for 50 bucks and you should be ready to roll.
On a full charge 100Amp deep cycle will get in easily one day of running no problems.
If no water then take a heap of 15ltr buckets and fill them up and then go to the nearest creek to wash, that's what I have been doing and it pays of sometimes.
Good luck, the sluice is a little ripper, just make sure the riffles are down tight on the matting.
Cheers
Brad.

Goldtarget, you are spot on for the catwalk, I bought some yesterday from that new metal/commercial walkway place. As far as I can work it out they stock the same catwalk that Wal recommends for his highbanker. I have looked all over Bendigo and other towns then walked into the store, I could not believe my eyes so bought enough for my Walbanker. Cheers Max

Highway1 said:
Goldtarget, you are spot on for the catwalk, I bought some yesterday from that new metal/commercial walkway place. As far as I can work it out they stock the same catwalk that Wal recommends for his highbanker. I have looked all over Bendigo and other towns then walked into the store, I could not believe my eyes so bought enough for my Walbanker. Cheers Max

No worries mate, happy to point someone in the right direction.

elrodeo said:
Pretty sure they are NFT gullies used for Hydroponic farming and can be purchased in all sorts of lengths and widths.
I have no idea why i know this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tuz said:
I had a couple of old PVC planter boxes and square PVC tubing lying around and decided to put them to good use. The highbanker is not yet completed but it's quite close now. The sluice is 6 inches wide, 2.5 inches deep and 4 foot long. Feed section is same width and depth but 21 inches long. The screen is 1/2 inch gal mesh. There's V matting in the top section of the sluice and I am yet to make the bottom section of riffles. I've got an 800gph bilge pump to run it and have made a control box (on/off and speed control - with fuse) for the bilge pump to control the water flow. The pics pretty much tell the rest of the story.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658087_photo0174.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658121_photo0175.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658148_photo0176.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658172_photo0177.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658196_photo0178.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2488/1394658265_photo0179.jpg

neat build mate :cool:

Latest posts