My mini highbanker build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Tuz, what's the pump ur using and the electrics system. I have made my HB but haven't yet sourced a pump cause I don't know what to get.

Hi Daz. I've got a 2000gph bilge pump on it's way. Not too sure if it will be good enough though. If it's not, I may attempt to run the 800gph pump in unison with it. I will be looking at getting a small petrol powered pump or a decent 240 volt aquarium pump (already have a generator) soon. Just need to get my funds up a bit first.

It's really going to depend on the size of your highbanker as to what size pump you need.
As for the electrical box I've made, it's just a 10 amp fuse, an on/off switch and a car instrument panel illumination dimmer switch (cost about $15 to make - on/off switch, fuse holder and the black box purchased from Jaycar and dimmer switch from local auto wrecker).

Basically, like this: power in---fuse---on/off---dimmer---power out to pump

If you can find a cheap 12v LED dimmer, that will work much better or, if you're any good with a soldering iron, you can purchase a 12v motor speed controller kit from Jaycar for under $30. I would say, no doubt, I won't need to use it with my set up after all the trouble of making it. Would be more useful for a 3700gph+ set up, I think.

I will let everyone know how the new pump goes when I get a chance to test it out.

Tuz said:
Hi Daz. I've got a 2000gph bilge pump on it's way. Not too sure if it will be good enough though. If it's not, I may attempt to run the 800gph pump in unison with it. I will be looking at getting a small petrol powered pump or a decent 240 volt aquarium pump (already have a generator) soon. Just need to get my funds up a bit first.

It's really going to depend on the size of your highbanker as to what size pump you need.
As for the electrical box I've made, it's just a 10 amp fuse, an on/off switch and a car instrument panel illumination dimmer switch (cost about $15 to make - on/off switch, fuse holder and the black box purchased from Jaycar and dimmer switch from local auto wrecker).

Basically, like this: power in---fuse---on/off---dimmer---power out to pump

If you can find a cheap 12v LED dimmer, that will work much better or, if you're any good with a soldering iron, you can purchase a 12v motor speed controller kit from Jaycar for under $30. I would say, no doubt, I won't need to use it with my set up after all the trouble of making it. Would be more useful for a 3700gph+ set up, I think.

I will let everyone know how the new pump goes when I get a chance to test it out.

a light dimmer for a cheap speed controller....awesome idea! :cool:

There's a few other things you can also use as a speed controller.. a volume controller out of an old stereo system, slot car controller (use a zip tie on the trigger to get your correct speed or remove the return spring then you can just set it), old train set speed controller just to name a few.

20xwater said:
Tuz said:
Sure have, 20xwater. Gold basically travels in a straight line through a creek anyway.. dropping out where the water slows (i.e. inside bends, behind larger rocks and crevices in bedrock) so, technically, that kind of sluice is completely unnecessary, in my opinion, as, in a straight sluice, you have the riffles to slow the flow and allow the gold to drop behind them. I like that someone was creative enough to come up with it. It's always nice to see fresh ideas to get your own creative juices flowing. I have a couple of designs of my own for classifying material right down until you only have concentrates left, but don't currently have the equipment or materials required to build them.

I agree with unnecessary but I like to do things my own way ;) ...I came across a pic of the side-winder sluice 2 nights ago and found myself mesmerised and stared at it for HOURS. a small pvc prototype is on its way just cause I can lol

I reckon the spiral riffle sections cut from a turbo pan would be an interesting possible upgrade to any sluice...?

scott :cool:

.... I have an idea to build a cascade using cut own garrett super sluices but it'd be an expensive experiment :/

casper

casper said:
20xwater said:
Tuz said:
Sure have, 20xwater. Gold basically travels in a straight line through a creek anyway.. dropping out where the water slows (i.e. inside bends, behind larger rocks and crevices in bedrock) so, technically, that kind of sluice is completely unnecessary, in my opinion, as, in a straight sluice, you have the riffles to slow the flow and allow the gold to drop behind them. I like that someone was creative enough to come up with it. It's always nice to see fresh ideas to get your own creative juices flowing. I have a couple of designs of my own for classifying material right down until you only have concentrates left, but don't currently have the equipment or materials required to build them.

I agree with unnecessary but I like to do things my own way ;) ...I came across a pic of the side-winder sluice 2 nights ago and found myself mesmerised and stared at it for HOURS. a small pvc prototype is on its way just cause I can lol

I reckon the spiral riffle sections cut from a turbo pan would be an interesting possible upgrade to any sluice...?

.... I have an idea to build a cascade using cut own garrett super sluices but it'd be an expensive experiment :/

casper

hi casper,

its good to know that someone is on the same page as far as experiments go, I have no need or use for the idea's ive shared so far because as I dig deeper into research I'm realising there are far more important things I need to do first. particularly in the last week from morning to late at night I am either reading and trying to learn structural geology and or watching videos of anything accosiated that may help in understanding whats below in the area I have chosen.

the only reason I have actually chosen an area is cause its close to home,legaly accessable and prospectable. the problem is on one side of a fence is elevated and I have to pay $22 a day but that allows me to do what I NEED to do with my selection of QUEENSLAND PROSPECTING HAND TOOLS lol, the other side of the fence is free for all, flatter and lower in elevation(topography maps).

from observations on the ground and from zoomed out a bit in google earth ive confirmed the shear or foliation direction. up the top the rock is cracked perpendicular to the shear but im guessing this has happened after the rock selitification and might explain why ive been told (blayke) that the gold is in the wash below amongst a blue clay and patchy. I think the term lensed describes this,im yet to research what creates lenses in sedimentary wash.

the separating cracks I think gives a clue to what is going on below when I zoom out, the same rock of lower elevation is more intact.

1395631157_loam_eg.jpg

eg...this is what I'm trying to learn...each yellow dot is where a peg with a tag and the amount of colours written on it will be (probly lots of zero's) lol...the grid reference to loaming is a surface scratching drilling rig!! lol

elrodeo said:
Pretty sure they are NFT gullies used for Hydroponic farming and can be purchased in all sorts of lengths and widths.
I have no idea why i know this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I got my new pump today, done a quick test on the highbanker and.. still not enough flow. Sick of playing around with these bilge pumps! Petrol power it shall be.
I put some chunks of lead in some dirt to test it and it is catching the lead in the top section and blowing the light stuff further down but it's packing up behind the riffles. I have no doubt some of the flaws are in the design so, I might do another design of the sluice section and see if I can get any sort of improvement. Although, at this point, I'm losing motivation along with money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Sounds interesting Casper.. depending on how many you plan on using, it might be a little on the expensive side. Might pay to have a look around and see if you can find some cheaper alternatives or, as tone said, make a mold.

Bit off topic there, Scott but it looks like some good ground to sample. You can never over-research.

Takes a bit of time and testing and tearing up a few bucks to get what you want mate. Domt give up just use what you have increase your angle and start getting some gold. Once you have enough sell it and spend some more on your next improvement. That way gold pays for gold :)

I'm going to make a few adjustments tomorrow. If I can get it to work 10-15% better, it might be sufficient. Hope I have enough tricks up my sleeve.

Just remember your using lazy l riffles and they need a significant angle. Assuming you have twp bilge pumps now try hooking them up in sync to get the flow you want. Good luck

Hey Goldigg
Things are not looking good for dryblowing,rain by the end of the week,but lets hope it drys out a bit,after that.

Regards Digger

Trying the two pumps was part of the plan. Other part was taking a trip to the local aluminium place to see what else they have that may be better for riffles.. I'll play around with the angle before doing so, though. Thanks.

Your not wrong digger im just starting to really enjoy drywashing been able to work/sample so many hills around ballarat this past week. At least if we get some rain we can get the highbankers out

Tuz said:
Trying the two pumps was part of the plan. Other part was taking a trip to the local aluminium place to see what else they have that may be better for riffles.. I'll play around with the angle before doing so, though. Thanks.

Expanded metal mesh is cheap and efficient mate

G0lddigg@ said:
Tuz said:

Expanded metal mesh is cheap and efficient mate

X2 on this one. Been meaning to try the walkway guys here in town, might be with the trip in, did some work for them a couple on months back didn't think to ask at the time. I use a steel version (old Telstra pay phone) works great, cheap, easy and effective, just back it with some matting in part of the sluice and bam you're away and catching the colours. I was heading down to the irrigation joint in the morn for a 12 volt bilge, if yours needs a new home send us a pm, Id take it of your hands at cost.

No go with adjusting angles and running both pumps, unfortunately. Might sit this highbanker aside for a little while and make something smaller. Need to wait on water levels to increase in the creek I go to anyway. The trommel I had planned can go on the back burner for a bit.
Think I'll hold onto the pumps for the next project, Goldtarget. BCF has an OK range of bilge pumps at reasonable prices. What's the walkway guys? I was going to go to the Bendigo aluminium centre in Maynard Dve, Epsom but that's on hold too now until I figure out what I am doing next..

Obviously. lol. Just can't get enough flow over the riffles.

Latest posts