My first nugget! - Day out detecting in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiKaren

Karen
Reaction score
So last Thursday I dragged my husband out to Ballarat and booked a day out on the goldfields with Gold and Relics.

To start with Darren drove us around and told us some of the history of the area and explained what we were looking at.
We then got to play with the detectors! I cant remember what brand/model we were using but I found a gold nugget in less that five minutes! It took me a bit longer than that to pin point it and dig it up but I was over the moon! Darren thought I was joking when I yelled out that I had 'got one!'.

The rest of the day I just dug up bullets, foil, rusty nails and bits of metal but I am so happy I found one! I was really hoping Rory would find something so that he would catch the fossicking/prospecting bug but he wasnt as lucky.

1415878559_photo_2_2_medium.jpg

1415878578_photo_3_medium.jpg

1415878599_photo_1_medium.jpg

1415878615_photo_1_3c_medium.jpg

1415878682_photo_2_medium.jpg

1415878707_photo_2_3_medium.jpg

1415878724_photo15_medium.jpg

Am REALLY happy with my nugget but when I saw the replica of the Welcome Stranger and read that it was only 2.5 CENTIMETERS deep...... Well. I have now set my sights on finding something bigger :lol:

Karen well done, thats a very nice piece to open your account. More to come I think Ian

Well done, when we first started I wanted hubby to find lots, now I have my own detector I'm on a mission to out do him.

I don't mind if he finds nothing, as long as I do.

So far I'm 2 up on him, and hope to keep it that way. I reckon the girls are better at detecting we listen better, and are more patient.

Now you fellas out there no bad comments let the girls have a say and a win.

Great to see girls are finding gold too. :D
Margaret

Well done Karen but in reality you girls are just amateurs, my wife can find gold without a detector. :)

Wow very cool. that's going to look great hanging around your neck , perfect size for a necklace. What a way to open your gold account.
Top stuff.

Tim

Hi km,
I think you should stop biting your nails,
I know detecting can bring on anxiety but WOW,
That's a lot of band aids.
Cheers Steve. :eek: :lol:
Ps; congrats on your find

Wow. Thanks guys! Been thinking that since it is my first nugget I should keep it as a display piece but my next one can be a pendant - if it is big enough of course!

Kim-Margaret - I totally get the competitive aspect but I need to get him hooked first! THEN I will start the count and the taunting - glad you are ahead at the mo in your comp! ;)

Magilla - I work in the jewellery trade so get to play with gold all the time. The difference being I dont get to keep those bits!

TTKooAu/stoyve - lol. I dont normally rock the bandaid look but just finished chemo in Sept and my fingernails are barely attached! They have been driving me mad and stopping me doing a lot of things. I wasnt going to miss out on detecting so I tapped the little buggers down! Think I will get some waterproof gloves though so I can go out to my lapidary club soon. :D

Next is trying panning with a friend who lives out Daylesford way. Will be reading the posts in here to get ideas of where to go.

Hope everyone has had/having a good weekend! :)

Latest posts