My first find with a Pointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadelaidean

Debra and Daryl
Reaction score
1388117743_pointers_first_find-747421605.jpg

Today I used my Garrett Pro Pointer which I bought From Detect A Den. The pointer worked great and I didnt expect it to be so powerful. I found some wire but I was so excited to find anything. Maybe next time I might find some coins or maybe the
Big One...LOL...I also learned from this forum how to connect the pointer to a stick so that I cound walk around using it. I had a good time and cant wait to go out again......Cheers Debra

is this for real? you will be out there all day with this! i have heard of attaching it to the detector to hold it but not using it as the detector????

aadelaidean said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../1388117743_pointers_first_find-747421605.jpg
Today I used my Garrett Pro Pointer which I bought From Detect A Den. The pointer worked great and I didnt expect it to be so powerful. I found some wire but I was so excited to find anything. Maybe next time I might find some coins or maybe the
Big One...LOL...I also learned from this forum how to connect the pointer to a stick so that I cound walk around using it. I had a good time and cant wait to go out again......Cheers Debra

If you want to increase the depth that it will detect down to, try this. Get a piece of metal, say a 5 cent coin. With your pro pointer out of it's very sophisticated handle assembly (gold star award, by the way!), turn it on and starting at the battery end, slide the coin down the length until it starts to be detected. Back the coin towards the battery end until the detection ceases, then stop. Fix the coin there with some insulation tape (or use a strong elastic band). You will now have roughly twice the sensitivity that you had before. There are some YouTube demo's of this

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...hv0xC_HiuHk4O3S8Q&sig2=RpOdDJvA64J9YoQrJDYUjw

THANKS I need all the help I can get. I will do what you said and see how it goes.
TTKooAu said:
aadelaidean said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../1388117743_pointers_first_find-747421605.jpg

If you want to increase the depth that it will detect down to, try this. Get a piece of metal, say a 5 cent coin. With your pro pointer out of it's very sophisticated handle assembly (gold star award, by the way!), turn it on and starting at the battery end, slide the coin down the length until it starts to be detected. Back the coin towards the battery end until the detection ceases, then stop. Fix the coin there with some insulation tape (or use a strong elastic band). You will now have roughly twice the sensitivity that you had before. There are some YouTube demo's of this

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...hv0xC_HiuHk4O3S8Q&sig2=RpOdDJvA64J9YoQrJDYUjw

Wow, never seen a setup like that before, will probably be limited to the first inch or so into the sand, but you never know what's lying around near the surface. Check on the beach to see if there are any marks left behind from people lying on their towels, you never know what might drop out of their pockets. :)

Also see that your hubby works at the Granites, I used to work up there in Exploration for 12 years at Ivy camp and DBS. ;)

LOL, I'm with you Sa_bogan, WTF!

SF

Sa_bogan said:
is this for real? you will be out there all day with this! i have heard of attaching it to the detector to hold it but not using it as the detector????

OMG you poor thing. :( This is the second case like this I have heard of this month. Its a pity you live so far away, I could have lent you my Ace to try and quell your addiction. Maybe we should start a detector relief fund or something ;)

the ace 150 is around the same price as the pro pointer - maybe someone will trade them for it?

Thanks for the positive reply. I realise that my set up is strange but I have never done this before and I had a good time hunting none the less. Hubby worked at the Granites driving a crane and works all over mainly in Adelaide. I cant wait to use my "detector" again and hope to find interesting things. Cheers Debra
Goldpick said:
Wow, never seen a setup like that before, will probably be limited to the first inch or so into the sand, but you never know what's lying around near the surface. Check on the beach to see if there are any marks left behind from people lying on their towels, you never know what might drop out of their pockets. :)

Also see that your hubby works at the Granites, I used to work up there in Exploration for 12 years at Ivy camp and DBS. ;)

LOL just you wait and see ME find a big NUGGET!!!!
Pete_The_Prospector said:
OMG you poor thing. :( This is the second case like this I have heard of this month. Its a pity you live so far away, I could have lent you my Ace to try and quell your addiction. Maybe we should start a detector relief fund or something ;)

One uses what one has :)
Sa_bogan said:

If a pinpointer is all you have maybe a better strategy is to get down to a creek and stick it down some crevices.
If you get a signal dig it up and pan away :)
You might not find the big one but you might at least get some nice sized pickers.
Regards Greg

Thanks Greg I hope to get to a creek but in the meantime I will try the local oval where they have fetes and hopefully people have dropped a few coins......Cheers Debra
Greglz86 said:
If a pinpointer is all you have maybe a better strategy is to get down to a creek and stick it down some crevices.
If you get a signal dig it up and pan away :)
You might not find the big one but you might at least get some nice sized pickers.
Regards Greg

Latest posts