My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to have you along for the ride silver, I hope there are others who see value in my hunt posts... My intention was to record my learning experience from starting last October with the Ace and no experience or knowledge... It has been a huge journey!

Well, Saturday night and Team Bogan was ready and chomping at the bit for a low tide hunt ... And here are the treasures...

D48475FC-C0F9-49D4-9D74-535B349EE69E_zpsmmjhemrt.jpg

It was a relatively warm night and we really had some fun!

Let's start out with the coins ... 17 in total ... 11 pre-dec and 7 of them being silver ... 1 x Florin, 2 x shilling, 3 x 6p, and 1 x 3p. Some brown buggers and a fifty cent piece....

We also found lots of sinkers ... Which makes us happy because we know it means we are in the jewellery area...

4F51D044-34F0-40C6-8823-F34D45C7E245_zps0kebdhca.jpg

And we were not disappointed - 2 gold earrings, 1 silver ring, 1 silver earring or necklace fob, an old brooch and a bling earring

53CC0145-A571-42E2-B6A6-512F35AD047F_zpsmc5gcdpy.jpg

The CTX found one gold earring (18k) and the silver ring while the Sovereign GT found the 9k earring and the other pieces ... Even a lead monkey to add to the lead toy collection!

The gold ended up being weighty for a couple of earrings - GOLD BABY!

693E8199-5131-48AD-B15F-342D43075B9D_zpsu4webpqw.jpg

The CTX does it again

c549e3610b928d0658db685da7fe5f98_zps93d6d40a.jpg

The junk

33C903CE-970F-4751-9525-C510596B3172_zpssyobjixw.jpg

One discovery that is bothering me was as I was talking to Bogan he pointed out a target location and the GT could not detect the target - no signal at all ... While the CTX said silver 20cm down - and up comes a shilling - so I am concerned I am missing targets through no fault of my own... I can see a CTX in my future very shortly! :)

You guys are going gangbusters with your finds, good to see the gold becoming more consistent as of late as well. Nice little marcasite broach, the missus loves that older type of jewellery.

I thought the temptation of getting a CTX would be too much Paul, but like you mention, strange about the Sovereign not picking up on the silver. Could it have something to do with being a BBS unit vs an FBS one, maybe FBS hits a bit harder on silver with a broader range of frequencies? :)

Hey Paul, great stuff, I'm getting a CTX as soon as I can afford one, hopefully in a couple of months. The Shilling may have been vertically positioned in the sand, not enough surface area for the GT at that depth.

Heatho said:
Hey Paul, great stuff, I'm getting a CTX as soon as I can afford one, hopefully in a couple of months. The Shilling may have been vertically positioned in the sand, not enough surface area for the GT at that depth.

Thanks Heatho and Goldpick - probably was the way it was positioned but gives me the $@&! when you know it's there and yet can't detect it ... I am sure all it's gonna take is a couple pieces of gold jewellery that you find you would normally miss and it will pay for itself!

Ok - to finish the week with a Sunday night low tide hunt ... And Team Bogan put in their time again ... And here are the finds....

533DFE4D-6240-41EC-87A9-7847418D90DE_zpsnai6vkgs.jpg

24 coins - with most being either pre-dec copper, moderns and brown buggers ... But we did get three silvers - 1 x 6p and 2 x 3p...
Some ammo and empty shells, A SPOON (Surprise), a heart pendant and 2 x 18k gold bands!

F1D4D042-394B-4BC4-BBD2-9AB0A7EE7FDB_zps8mpp5hzn.jpg

4CAF2925-F5A9-450C-9AED-9D54BE00B82C_zps1wnwvuvh.jpg

GOLD BABY! (CTX does it again)

F62C906E-664B-4751-932C-517D8C1D009E_zpsepozkojw.jpg

CA448957-AC60-45DD-8D4D-8C91D0D435B0_zpsincoejgf.jpg

and the junk ... A boat full of sinkers this week!

C729B184-783B-4D26-8B2D-E8C7BD7214D0_zpsab3vnglo.jpg

A great time was had - and detector batteries on charge for the coming week! ;)

Congrats on the gold, were they down very deep, they don't look too old? Glad you got a spoon, I was getting worried for a while there. ;)

Hi Goldpick

Bogan found them in the water ... I know at least one was hiding under rocks - but they are both 18K and in very nice condition so I don't think they were swimming for too long... ;) And just when I thought we got all the spoons up comes another :D

Well done on your haul.

I must say I am loving my CTX, it is giving similar results but bigger quantities and deeper targets too, I also love the 17" coil you can cover so much area and I do use the gps to mark spots I want to revisit although the GPS only has an accuracy of +/- 10 meters to an exact location but good enough for me, may get better with the GPS with more practice.

Oh as an aside all the lead sinkers I have found a fishing club that will take them, so deposited two 2Lt ice cream containers full at the club house, wife is happy less "clutter".

Bob.

Hi Bob

We would surely like to see some of your finds with the CTX - I imagine Adelaide is much quieter than Sydney which may explain the fewer targets ... :) Also as Adelaide is located in a gulf (Gulf St Vincent) so we don't have the wave action that the eastern state beaches have meaning we have to wait a lot longer for the sea to deposit the treasure!

I watched a video on You Tube where the fellow collected all the lead, copper and brass he found and sorted it into buckets by metal type and then cashed it all in with the metal scrapper totalling $130 for a year's collection.

I looked up the price of lead... and there are places offering .40 cents to $1 a kilo - so with only collecting since March we have over 10 kilos so far ... I just may continue collecting them to see what extra $$ can be made from the junk targets I was previously throwing away... ;)

Here is what to do with all the buggered pennies, half pennies, one and two cent coins you find on the beach ....

Why Recycle Copper?

Recycled copper is worth up to 90 percent of the cost of the original copper. Copper also has the great benefit of often being cheap to recycle than to mine new copper. Recycling copper also saves a huge amount of energy, up to 10% to 15% of the energy required to mine new copper which means less CO2 emissions and ultimately a cleaner environment.

$5 a kilo is being paid ... I knew there was a reason to hang on to them!

Does get a bit worrying when we get the lead out of the ground only to have it thrown into the sea again as new sinkers.

silver said:
Does get a bit worrying when we get the lead out of the ground only to have it thrown into the sea again as new sinkers.

When I was in the USA in July I discovered that you can no longer buy sinkers that are made of lead. They have been banned from sale, and the stores offer a plastic alternative that probably has iron in the internal cavity instead of lead. When I think of how much lead we have pulled off the beach in the last 4 months and then multiply that by all the detectorists doing the same thing - that is a lot of lead and I am sure we are not even scratching the surface... no wonder our seas are dying and fish declining, we have turned it into a sewer of metals and junk! I consider it a public service to remove them and I am sure people would be shocked to see the mound I accumulate over the course of a year!

Same with my lead.
1407744822_lead1.jpg

Paulmarr said:
silver said:

When I was in the USA in July I discovered that you can no longer buy sinkers that are made of lead. They have been banned from sale, and the stores offer a plastic alternative that probably has iron in the internal cavity instead of lead. When I think of how much lead we have pulled off the beach in the last 4 months and then multiply that by all the detectorists doing the same thing - that is a lot of lead and I am sure we are not even scratching the surface... no wonder our seas are dying and fish declining, we have turned it into a sewer of metals and junk! I consider it a public service to remove them and I am sure people would be shocked to see the mound I accumulate over the course of a year!

I just love you blokes (not literally) most days I cannot wait to find out what items Team Bogan has found. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next edition.
Cheers
Mackka

Thank you for all the nice comments - we enjoy posting our hunts and telling our story and glad to read our members do too!

Episode #46 - The Monday Night hunt with Team Bogan

Didn't take much coaxing to get Bogan and the CTX out for another night hunt ... And here are the finds...

7b9c6174f55b6405a79f6fe55ecd22c4_zpsb38f7835.jpg

11 coins - 4 pre-dec - 2 silvers - a florin and a three pence ... a key, a couple of very small charms and ....

48D854BD-D5B2-4008-8F24-27E15A9EB18D_zpsvw9qumlm.jpg

GOLD BABY!

33195A41-DC00-4397-9347-C36D68BFA08A_zpsbngxhcx3.jpg

A nice ladies dress ring

0BD94F6A-91F1-4DC5-A590-5830A4D849D3_zpscehuqofl.jpg

Not sure of the composition of the ring at this stage but it is weighty and sure looks nice! A great way to start off the week and gold three nights in a row! Boy are we spoilt... :cool:

And here is Bogan's Monday Play of the Day...

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/5VBFcyw6OVE[/video]

Well done team bogan on your recent gold finds. You guys seem to find a lot of gold rings!! So tell me do you try and find the owners at all? As there is no better feeling than seeing the delight on an owners face when they get their jewellery back. :)
cheers Rob

Thanks Wolf and BDA

Yes we hope that one day we will also feel the joy of returning a lost jewellery item - looks very rewarding especially when it's a war medal like some of the members find!

I don't know about finding LOTS of rings but we have certainly hit a purple patch of late ... ;)

Latest posts