My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True mate! you gotta increase your chances by increasing your hours swinging + you gain valuable experience understanding the ground and how your machine works in it!

Nice work.

As any good detectorist does - we had to go back to ensure we got all the gold... And here are the finds...

563A15CB-CD68-4FBE-AED9-FE2D1B4BD275_zpsxayewmgf.jpg

As usual - we bagged a couple of silvers - a shilling, a six pence and a part of a six pence - some moderns - a whistle - a lead toy figure missing head and feet - and of course a silver plated shop with hallmarks but little remains of the spoon.

5410C77D-EAFD-429A-BA9F-C2750395508F_zps5vcqsxee.jpg

And a ton of junk of course.

All in all a quiet night but Team Bogan still riding high on Saturday nights finds! The piece I thought might be gold entombed in a rock conglomerate was the latch portion on an internal door mechanism. :(

The whistle is in really good condition, great for the relics collection - yet another spoon, more silver for the end of the year. :)

It was C-C COLD this evening but after looking forward all week to a hunt - Team Bogan braved the frigid temperatures (4 degrees) and had another productive and fun session - here are the finds ..

d84473a85570aecd61e8b916cb99100b_zpsee8ff266.jpg

Quite an array of treasures - 33 coins - 16 pre-decimals with 10 of them being silver - a few pieces of jewelry including a sterling silver half piece of bangle (8 grams) and an 18k gold ladies ring! Oh yeah - don't forget the spoon! :)

Here are the silvers - two florins, two shillings, three six pence and three three pence all needing a good clean

441d91f3e91331e72426fee5a4e33942_zpsfa32a44b.jpg

The silver bangle half needs cleaning but we can read Love, Greg 1971 inscribed on the inside - and love the horse pin

3cbb2e926d17bd6dd7dbd6295cc37732_zps2dcbcb91.jpg

And of course our favourite find

9EF6C1A9-EA77-4469-A521-6C6C575B99F6_zpszy7eywlj.jpg

The CTX was responsible for the ring - and here is an iPhone clip of the moment...

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/NoHybPN0lLk[/video]

Gotta love the winter storm stir up of the beach ... And tomorrow is another hunting day ;)

Lol, another spoon, good consistentcy on those! Another night of great finds I see, I was wondering what this weather might have turned up for you guys, certainly looks like it has proven good. Couldn't ask for a better mix of finds, and a gold ring to round off the hunt is always pleasing to see, well done - the florin looks like it would clean up nicely. :)

It was 2 degrees here last night, too cold for me. :eek:

Team Bogan out on a Saturday night hunt - didn't start til late due to late low tide ... And yes it was 3 degrees this evening in Adelaide but that's not cold to me after going through a blizzard at Christmas of -20 degrees Fahrenheit in. New York - you just gotta suck it in - But we performed well so here are the finds...

C453CFE1-33F3-4BE7-AFBF-69D1AD4DFB73_zps3wrtui0w.jpg

Again quite a cross section of treasures! Let's start out with 28 coins - 11 pre decimal with 9 silvers - 2 x Florins (we call em Florries) 2 x Shiilings (Shillies) 2x 6p and 3 x 3p. Lots of brown buggers with a couple of other moderns round out the coins.

Several lead toy figures tonight - a part of a motorcycle cop - a goat and a headless cowboy on a headless horse. Buttons, fishing lure body, a couple of earrings, and two rings - a very unusual silver (we think) ring that looks like a KKK hat, and the Sovereign GT bagged the 18k ring! Oh yeah, don't forget the spoons or what's left of them!

That is 19 silvers for the weekend and two gold rings for the second weekend in a row ... I think we are getting the hang of this hobby now.

548C659A-E44B-4B1A-863F-512B4BD910DC_zpsxd48kjea.jpg

9AED7E36-B966-47C6-8D20-36E4372E1948_zpsn2izxgsd.jpg

93E253A4-3B90-45CB-B6A8-3FED34A60452_zps9cgwcsg0.jpg

19E597AD-CBEE-4FAD-8459-B2945607BAE2_zpsi2ywujbg.jpg

31F4C3C6-7308-4694-BCA3-D2123C40CA3D_zpsmlhl6gd1.jpg

3442A6C6-BECA-4556-81F5-F40A254E9AC9_zpsvp2uhq8y.jpg

DA038AD4-C986-4851-801F-DC17F9F6A549_zpsuhny96fx.jpg

And here is the moment I enjoyed most tonight! ;)

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/I-D_yaPxB-w[/video]

The sovereign I doing well, good to see it is hitting on gold as well as the ctx, I bet you are stoked! Was the signal from the ring very jumpy due to the shape, or the way it was lying in the sand? I never made it to low tide last night, had to go home and defrost the hands. :D

Goldpick said:
The sovereign I doing well, good to see it is hitting on gold as well as the ctx, I bet you are stoked! Was the signal from the ring very jumpy due to the shape, or the way it was lying in the sand? I never made it to low tide last night, had to go home and defrost the hands. :D

Hi Goldpick

Yes the Sovereign really has performed well at the beach ... And on the surface has also been better on silvers than the CTX ... but in reality I think both detectors aren't going to let much slip past them - and it just comes down to who walked over it first. The signal wasn't jumpy - repeatable but just the tone was a lot like other rubbish targets - not a high sound of a silver or copper but a mid range tone that usually ends in either the sound nulling out after a layer of sand is removed (iron) or some minute piece of rivet or alloy trash. I dig everything now a days just on the off chance it is something better and glad I did - I was stoked and still on the high today :)

The last two days bring up an interesting thought about metal detecting and the social aspects of the hobby. I go out with my son detecting, and while we have a fun spirited competition between us - it really doesn't matter to me/us which guy finds the gold just as long as one of us does. Our detecting skills are about the same (Bogan will probably beg to differ) so it really is a case of the lucky one walking over it. If you were with let's say detecting acquaintances out for a hunt and one of the other guys finds the $5000 diamond ring because he was one meter to the left of you ... Would this bother you? Does greed get in the way of this hobby being more of a social activity? Interested in your thoughts...

And Goldpick you really need to dress for the winter hunts - we are bundled up to the point I am sweating on the beach so the cold is not a factor ... In fact I am hoping it keeps the other looters at home snug in bed so I can have the place to myself! ;)

No I don't think greed gets in the way of the hobby, at least for me it doesn't. In my view, it's just an activity to get me out of the house, and hopefully with a little reward at the end of the day to show for my efforts.

It is a good thing to have a detecting partner to sound off on, and to compare finds and settings/detecting methods. I think it is a bit shallow if you were to have the sort of attitude that areas like the beach can "belong" to yourself, or have your feathers ruffled if your detecting buddy had a good find metres from where you were detecting - you should be happy for them, and maybe even learn something in the process. Compare it to say fishing, you aren't going to diss your buddy if he pulls out a nice snapper metres from where you have cast your line, so once again, it is all about having some fun.

I had a few signals last night that were mid tones - low conductivity & low ferrous. Some were pull tabs, whilst many others were 5c coins, which is a good thing since gold will fall into that range. The other interesting signal is high ferrous/high conductivity on one swing, and low ferrous/high conductivity on the other swing of the coil. Some of these have been masked coins, some iron, but since then I have learnt that they can also be deeper coins that are simply too deep to get an accurate vdi on, so will be chasing those in future.

Last night I was wearing thermal pants, jeans, thermal top, t-shirt, jumper, raincoat, gloves and a beany. Any more than that and I would start resembling the michelin man, and will have trouble bending over. :D

Goldpick said:
It is a good thing to have a detecting partner to sound off on, and to compare finds and settings/detecting methods. I think it is a bit shallow if you were to have the sort of attitude that areas like the beach can "belong" to yourself, or have your feathers ruffled if your detecting buddy had a good find metres from where you were detecting - you should be happy for them, and maybe even learn something in the process. Compare it to say fishing, you aren't going to diss your buddy if he pulls out a nice snapper metres from where you have cast your line, so once again, it is all about having some fun.

That is sort of my point Goldpick - there are so many benefits of having a detecting mate(s) along for the ride that I was trying to work out why it seems there are not many "teams" out there. Then I thought it might be like "I'm not taking anyone to my patch" (especially good gold nugget producing areas) as the reason. I can tell you it's much more enjoyable detecting with another person then on your own - beside sounding off, security, assistance, and knowledge - ya got someone as a witness to the big find! ;)

It is no coincidence that I detect alone, it is more due to the fact that I really don't know anyone to go out with, probably should really join a club or something to find someone to go out with in a regular basis. 8.(

I can quite happily detect with or without a partner but it is more fun to have some-one to compare finds with & share ideas & spots.
Much better too to have some-one to have a rest & a bite with after all, we are sociable animals.

Keith said:
I can quite happily detect with or without a partner but it is more fun to have some-one to compare finds with & share ideas & spots.
Much better too to have some-one to have a rest & a bite with after all, we are sociable animals.

Better for night detecting too. some weirdos out there, come out at night. :eek:

Keith said:

Please don't call us "weirdos" SD - it is completely normal to be going to the beach at midnight in the winter... 8)

Paulmarr said:
Keith said:

Please don't call us "weirdos" SD - it is completely normal to be going to the beach at midnight in the winter... 8)

HAHAHA, I can dig it. perfectly understandable in this balmy weather. I used to do it all nighters in winter last year around the burbs but in the end it wasn't worth it. yeh, and it is amazing whose around in the early hours. you guys are doing well. keep ya powder dry. :D

Latest posts