Must have coils for the gpx4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently have the following coils for my gpx 4500
Commander 11" mono
Commander 11" dd
Coiltek elite 14" mono
Nugget finder Sadie 8x6 mono
Detech 8" mono
Coiltek goldstalker 18" mono
Nugget finder evo 17x13 mono

Not sure if I have covered all bases with the coils I have, wouldn't mind people's opinions on must have coils for gpx4500 in the golden triangle.
I have it In my head that I need a nugget finder 12" evo to complete the list. Cheers

Mate,
You have a very good selection but there is a missing element
that you are going to have to ponder. :8
Sorry, :cool:
Nugget Finder EVO 15" spoked.
Then don't buy any thing else. :Y: :Y: :Y:

I think your right bjay, but if you can cover all bases for most situations I reckon it would be good. From the list I have got, I've found gold with all of them besides the 11" dd that I have never used since new and the 18" that I rarely use. ?

As per your question Jarrod84, the 15" evo might have a slight edge over the 14" elite for depth possibly

Looking at your list a 12 inch evo would complement it nicely. If youve already got a 14 elite I think it will do everything the 15 evo will. Then again the 17/13 evo pretty much the same again. Very slight differences between them. My choice , 12 evo plus 15 evo thats only cause its what Ive got. My experiences are that 12 will find anything that my Sadie ever did with more ground coverage.

Commander 11" mono - Use as a back up.
Commander 11" dd - leave it in the box.
Coiltek elite 14" mono - Good going by review's
Nugget finder Sadie 8x6 mono - Sell unless used in really rocky area's
Detech 8" mono - Sell unless used in really rocky area's
Coiltek goldstalker 18" mono - sell replace with EVO 19"
Nugget finder evo 17x13 mono

I would get a 12" EVO & hardly take it off.

cheers
Lee

Bjay said:
I do beleive too many coils can be a bad thing. I know they all have there place but its better to know a couple well than many a little.
Spot on I reckon Bjay.

Foal, what area are you detecting, this may influence coil selection?
I would say with your NF & Coiltek selection you have a great spread.
17x13" 14" and 8x6" :Y:
Leave on the 14" unless ground and gold dictate one of the others.

I spent almost all last year using the 14" Elite with great results but it's heavy. This year I went armed with a 19" Evo to get those deep ones I couldn't reach last time. All I found with it was 1x0.13g and 1x0.4g. Two nuggets for $600 but it is a nice coil to swing and no heavier than the 14" Elite.

Then I purchased the 11" Detech Ultra mono for the little stuff and light weight to get Mrs M into swinging to 4500. A very expensive coil for very little return. There's nothing about this coil I like. It will be going up for sale real soon.

I had never used the 11" Commander mono until this trip. Now it's the best coil I've got. I'm not knocking the 14" Elite because it is a great coil but perhaps I'm getting too old to swing 1.1kg on the end of a stick all day.

There were times when I wanted someting small to compare with the SDC. Some patches only have tiny gold but lots of it and with the coils I have it's out of my reach. I thought perhaps the little Sadie was the way to go?

Don't forget most coils abilities over lap the next size up or down. I'd have one main one, the 14" elite and only take it off if you want to go really small or really big on the odd occasion.
I feel it would be much better to perfect the settings with one coil. The 14" elite doesn't miss much. The only reason you might get a 12" evo, 11" elite or 15" spoke evo is the big difference in weight.

I think you've got all bases covered already Foal. Anything inbetween what you already have is splitting hairs. You'll probably get more return putting the money toward and extra trip out to the goldfields

Moneybox said:
I spent almost all last year using the 14" Elite with great results but it's heavy. This year I went armed with a 19" Evo to get those deep ones I couldn't reach last time. All I found with it was 1x0.13g and 1x0.4g. Two nuggets for $600 but it is a nice coil to swing and no heavier than the 14" Elite.

Then I purchased the 11" Detech Ultra mono for the little stuff and light weight to get Mrs M into swinging to 4500. A very expensive coil for very little return. There's nothing about this coil I like. It will be going up for sale real soon.

I had never used the 11" Commander mono until this trip. Now it's the best coil I've got. I'm not knocking the 14" Elite because it is a great coil but perhaps I'm getting too old to swing 1.1kg on the end of a stick all day.

There were times when I wanted someting small to compare with the SDC. Some patches only have tiny gold but lots of it and with the coils I have it's out of my reach. I thought perhaps the little Sadie was the way to go?
Im pretty happy using an 8" commander mono.. seems to run a bit quiter then a sadie but perhaps not as sensitive but pretty dam good just the same :Y:

Although I run a 5000 your coil list is fairly similar to mine.
Like you I also have:
commander 11" mono-haven't used much
commander 11" DD- haven't used much
coiltek elite 14" mono- used a lot, till I got the 17x13 evo
nugget finder sadie 8x6 mono- main small coil
coiltek goldstalker 18" mono- don't really use much due to lack of big deep nuggets
nugget finder evo 17x13 mono spoked- current go to main coil
I don't have the detech 8" mono- yet. The other coils I have are the 15x12" commander mono that came with the pro pack and a coiltek 14" AI.
I used a borrowed commander 8" mono for a while and it was good, might get one one day- although it would be similar to the sadie.
Other coils I'd consider would be the 12" evo or the smaller eliptical evos- can't remember the sizes, think it's 14x9 and some other one.

Ni
22shells said:
Although I run a 5000 your coil list is fairly similar to mine.
Like you I also have:
commander 11" mono-haven't used much
commander 11" DD- haven't used much
coiltek elite 14" mono- used a lot, till I got the 17x13 evo
nugget finder sadie 8x6 mono- main small coil
coiltek goldstalker 18" mono- don't really use much due to lack of big deep nuggets
nugget finder evo 17x13 mono spoked- current go to main coil
I don't have the detech 8" mono- yet. The other coils I have are the 15x12" commander mono that came with the pro pack and a coiltek 14" AI.
I used a borrowed commander 8" mono for a while and it was good, might get one one day- although it would be similar to the sadie.
Other coils I'd consider would be the 12" evo or the smaller eliptical evos- can't remember the sizes, think it's 14x9 and some other one.

Yes, well that's somthing I often think about. Perhaps there is a lack of big deep nuggets because we're not swinging the big mono ]:D ]:D

I'm detecting in the Bendigo area, I have found that the Sadie is very noisy in my current detecting area so it may be for sale. The only thing I find with the 14" elite is that it's quite heavy when swinging all day, so maybe if I get a 15" evo and a 12" evo I shouldn't need anymore.

I've been threatening for a while to take off my Evo 14*9 and 17*13 coils for a while, and going back to the Commander 11" Mono.
I used to find bigger gold (less sensitive maybe, so I missed digging the smallest of bird shot which I'm tired of), and less sensitive to hot ground.
My average find was above 1g per target with the Commander, but with the Evos, it dropped rapidly.
My advice:
Don't give up your Commander 11" mono.
Get your Commander 11" DD out of the box and use it nasty EMI spots that would put off other detectorists.

BigWave said:
I've been threatening for a while to take off my Evo 14*9 and 17*13 coils for a while, and going back to the Commander 11" Mono.
I used to find bigger gold (less sensitive maybe, so I missed digging the smallest of bird shot which I'm tired of), and less sensitive to hot ground.
My average find was above 1g per target with the Commander, but with the Evos, it dropped rapidly.
My advice:
Don't give up your Commander 11" mono.
Get your Commander 11" DD out of the box and use it nasty EMI spots that would put off other detectorists.

Yes BW, that's exactly what I found on this trip out. The new highly sensitive coils can be like trying to detect under a tree of budgerigars while the Commander can be nearly a quiet a swinging the Garrett ATX. It make detecting much more pleasant avoiding most hotrocks and false signals. I spent quite a bit of time testing on signals before they were dug and the results were surprising.

The expensive coil failed badly. It gives a very sharp signal on even the tinniest nugget and will also go deep but that's about all it does well. The Commander gives a range of sounds often indicating quite accurately what is under the ground. The signal is never as sharp and can be missed but because it runs so smoothly more genuine targets are found. The new spiral would coil is like swinging an 8" coil in an 11" housing. Most of the unwanted chatter on the spiral wound coil can be eliminated if you reduce the gain far enough but then the outer perimeter of the coil does nothing. The coil has almost no lateral detection so any chance of detecting near a tree or under grass is lost. When you swing over a target the Commander gives a double 'blip' due to both sides of the coil emitting a signal but the spiral wound coil gives a single 'blip' sounding just like any false signal.

I chose the 11" Commander as my everyday go-to coil with good results on anything over 0.15g. With good head phones that can be improved further on the Commander but can further exaggerate the chatter from the noisy coil.

Latest posts