Mt Crawford SA South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah knew those bloody rangers were up to no good when i was up there the other week they said they were remaking the camp ground but i reckon they were rubbing out all the xs hope OzzieAu can put you onto some
Pagan P

pagan prospector said:
yeah knew those bloody rangers were up to no good when i was up there the other week they said they were remaking the camp ground but i reckon they were rubbing out all the xs hope OzzieAu can put you onto some
Pagan P

Oh boy, rubbing out the xs ? what area was this, you mean X's or excess?

Went for a day to said place, and was shocked at all the locked gates, gives u the feeling that we are not wanted( gold detectorist`s), if u cant tell people to stay the f... out, we`ll just p... em off by shutting em out as much as we can, sly greeny bastards.
I needed to get that off my chest, even though it won`t matter, coz S.A. is just full of controlling greeny bastards and there`s probably nothing that we can do to rid them off, now to the point of the post, was around Watts gully area, saw no more than 2 test holes from old timers, where are the digging`s or am i missing something?
Dead horse gully, i entered this gully from the Watts gully end, and detected probably upto 300m up this gully, did not see a single hole, reading the history it says the diggers dug down to 18 feet and some holes were around 4-6 feet, are these diggings further up the gully or was i in the wrong place?
I hope someone can clear this up for me, and just got to say again, S.A. what a bloody disappointment as far as detecting for gold goes, so much potential yet completely restricted by government or locked up as private ground.

I think alot of the best ground is either on private land or locked up by the state water people. Also alot of that land has been churned up with the pine plantation. Maybe worth a days drive to Vic ?

its been turned over a thousand times by the forrestry planting pine trees, no gold in watts anyway, check any of the other gullies out there, they all contain gold. i put a pa member onto a certain gully out there last week and he found his first ever bit, all be it only match head size, still gold. everyone thinks watts gully is the only thing out there, definately not the case. try and get a copy of goldfields of sa, has got maps of all the gullies where its found out there. good luck anyway. :Y:

18 0zs were found in another gully out there, was big write up in gold gem and treasure mag i n the early 00s. i got it here some where il see if i can find it over xmas :Y:

Gday ironrock,
If you purchase a yearly permit ($50) you will get access to the combination lock on Ridge rd. gate. Once inside this gate you can drive to any of the gullies that run off of Ridge rd. including the top end of Watts Gully.
Permits available from the Rangers headquarters.
There are plenty of diggings in Watts, so you may have been in another spot.
Cheers.

Wishfull said:
Could be locked up because of the fire restrictions in place this time of the year.
Gates are locked permanently mate... to keep the yahoos out that flog around on the tracks.
Genuine detectorists with a permit are given access. Since having mine I have always been able to acquire the combination to the lock.

wat happens if you only want the 5.00 daily permit, do they give you the code ? that also included camping over night in the many designated areas, sailor camp ground ect. :Y: used to be lots of familys out there every weekend 10 yrs ago, everything from motocross to bird watching, thats about how long since ive been there, have access to loads of private proprty in the mid north region so havnt had the need to go back there. :)

grumpygold said:
wat happens if you only want the 5.00 daily permit, do they give you the code ? that also included camping over night in the many designated areas, sailor camp ground ect. :Y: used to be lots of familys out there every weekend 10 yrs ago, everything from motocross to bird watching, thats about how long since ive been there, have access to loads of private proprty in the mid north region so havnt had the need to go back there. :)
No mate, the $5 daily fee wont get you past the locked gates... you need the yearly permit, a new policy by the park authorities which has been in force for 6 months or more.... sad but true.

OzzieAu said:
grumpygold said:
No mate, the $5 daily fee wont get you past the locked gates... you need the yearly permit, a new policy by the park authorities which has been in force for 6 months or more.... sad but true.
very very sad, so have they done the same thing with jupiters as well do you know. ]:D

Plenty of diggings if you follow this track in from the car park on the corner.
Not much gold though
1545304597_20181220_214428.jpg

grumpygold said:
OzzieAu said:
grumpygold said:
very very sad, so have they done the same thing with jupiters as well do you know. ]:D
No, Jupiters is free and accessible, but its so overgrown there now its mostly a waste of time in my opinion.

Both Jupiter Creek and Chappell Hill are free to enter. Although not on their website, I believe the Annual $50 fee for Mt Crawford is only $30 if you are a concession card holder.

Camping at Mt Crawford - there are 2 campgrounds also @ $5 night and both suitable for caravans, however from 1Dec - 31 Mar there is no camping due to fire danger.
Also no gennys allowed.

Detecting at Mt Crawford is $5/day or $50 for an annual pass. The daily pass does not get you the code for the padlock, the annual pass does. On days of total fire ban in the Mt Lofty area nobody is allowed in at all.

There are a few remnants of old diggings as forestry have been there a long time.

I for one would not detect at either Jupiter or Chappell at this time of year, both are very overgrown and the risk of a snake bite is very real.

Check the Forestry website

https://www.forestrysa.com.au/recreation/mount-crawford-kuitpo/

https://www.forestrysa.com.au/accommodation/rockypaddock/

Latest posts