Mt Crawford SA South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a look around and a pan around mt crawford found a nice creek with a big section of rock/quarts moved near half a tonne of dirt for nothing hopefully ill get a speck oneday just have to keep trying

GF, I haven't found any either but its there. This is a photo of finds by Nenad GF, from Mt Crawford. He has a 7000 I think.Its only for 2015 too.
1440846769_mt_crawford_gold_over_2015.jpg

Hi folks! How are we all? I'm New here and would just like to say this looks like a really good/friendly site and so far it has been really helpful anyway,, I have been to my Crawford a couple of times before (watts gully)in search of the yellow with only a little bit of luck, one small nugget (.1grm) with the xterra 705. However since than I have made up a couple of sluices and am going to be knocking up a bucket suive or 2 today and will be headed back up on the weekend! so I was wondering if inyone knows what gully has the most water running through? I know the stream at watts gully has a bit in there after the recent rains we have had but am yet to venture into the other gullys. Any help would be great and a massive time saver thanks and bring on the weekend! :D

Hi Shteevo I head up there every chance I get with a mate of mine and we have done most of the gullys up there and found more lead and rubbish but no small gold yet and I use the 705 and a SD2200 so well done on your find .I have found old buttons and a muscat ball .
Most of the gullys like whatts gully has alluvial in it any where that looks good just choose an area and take your own water just incase there is none up there but if you go in by rocky creek road there is a dam there and is now full after the rain we just had so all good for a quick test pan ,we will have to catch up one weekend and we can show you some areas if you want

Hi all, I am contemplating a detecting trip out to Mt. Crawford. I have not been there before so do not know what the terrain is like and the ground mineralisation. I use a ML5000 with either an 11" commander DD or mono or my 17x11 nuggetfinder mono. Any advice or suggestions on settings and if it is possible to swing my NF without to much difficulty would be appreciated. Cheers.

In the open/harvested areas you should be able to swing your 17e no problem. In the native vegetation (not much of it) go the 11" mono. Most of the fossicking area is medium to warm mineralisation with some very hot and quieter patches. Run Fine Gold, or Enhance for the hotter spots, or Sens Extra where possible.

Nearly every gully in the fossicking area has produced as well as most of the slopes coming off ridge road.

Good luck!

Yes I saw the report on TT and that is what has given me the urge to get out for a swing. I have been to Jupiter creek a few times but have only picked up rubbish. I will probably head out on Thursday as it looks good weather. I am more used to the open areas of the Pilbara around the Paraburdoo/Tom Price region. There are plenty of patches starting from the edge of the Paraburdoo townsite, but being based in S.A. it is harder to find gold areas. I am heading over to the Golden Triangle in October for the Laancoorie Bash which should be a great weekend with the caravan park full of prospectors. They tell me it is a great fun weekend and if you find the yellow that is a bonus. Cheers Randolph

Hi everyone,

I have been hitting Mt Crawford in SA pretty hard, been researching, finding old documents, records and maps. I have been swinging my GPX4500 with my 17x13 NF and cant seem to find anything other than junk. 4 trips in the last 5 days alone. Working old alluvials, shaft areas etc. Tried in Specks gully, Koloche old mine area, Watts gully, Blood and Thunder area. Anyone got any tips on what i may be doing wrong.. or if there areas im in are right? I was really hoping to find some birthday gold today... bugger

1538359101_20180930_084435-01-980x2016.jpg

1538359160_20180930_082921-01-2016x980.jpg

1538359192_20180930_082921-01-2016x980.jpg

1538359224_20180930_094558-980x2016.jpg

G'day Brad, I too tried the areas you mentioned in your post and never did any good either.That was about 8 odd years ago and even went out as far as Teetulpa and Waukaringa. Got 2 tiny bits at Teetulpa but the major lease holder was not very nice and absolutely hated prospectors, would call police on you and harass you so I was told. When I rang up the farmer to get permission they even warned you about him. Read a post somewhere about the new owners and they are the same. Had to camp at the old cemetery then, so the farmer knew where you were. Good luck in your search, but in SA it is very hard to find gold.

Latest posts