Morton National Park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Friday wife and I decided to go and have a look at an area in the Morton National Park. Fossicking is permitted in the Jerrawangala State Forest and the Yerriygong State Forest which seem to be a part of the Morton National Park. As we were not doing any detecting and were in an area where fossicking is not permitted in between the two State Forests mentioned, we were just looking, actually were trying out a new temperature gauge fitted to the Pajero and decided that some Highway and back roads would let us know what was going on as a climb up to George Boyd Lookout would give some idea, all was good.

We stopped at a gravel pit and decided to walk down to the creek along the Gold Mine Track. It was a walk of about 600 meters down a fairly steep slope at the end. Was disappointed to find the track has been torn out by 4wd in the past with some vehicle tracks now washed out to about 600mm deep on the steeper section, but the whole area is now being torn up by trail bike riders with large areas of the track now loose dirt that is going to was away in the next heavy rain and the process of erosion continues and we wonder why areas are being closed down at a rapid rate here in NSW.

At the creek, which was totally dry, it was apparent that people have been down there with high bankers as there were piles of wash all over the area and areas of rock exposed that looked like they should be not be exposed. The track continued across the creek and apparently comes out back onto the main track some distance up the road. As we are not the fittest we decided to go back the way we had come in and found a lot of old test holes along the side of the track and further down the slope and some old trenches. There is apparently an old mine further along the track, but is not going to be seen by us unless we can find the other end of the track and a bit fitter.

Overall we were disappointed that an area that we are not allowed to detect in is being torn up by trail bike riders who must only show up on the weekends knowing that the Rangers only work Monday to Friday. That is my bit of rant and this sort of action seems to be happening everywhere, gates across trails that we have used in the past. We have 4WD that is used as a tow vehicle and along legal tracks.

Graham

Latest posts