Mornington Peninsula Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to my neck of the woods! :D

Unfortunately I've had very little luck myself on the Peninsula though I haven't done too much detecting. I've tried a few beaches including Shoreham, the beaches along Mornington to Mt Martha and Frankston. All resulting in more beer cans, pull tabs and a shoe buckle. Odd 20 cent - 50 cent coin has been found but all from 2000 - 2005 so nothing too old...

I've tried a railway only in one location which failed to find anything at all though it started to rain so I'm going to try again hopefully this weekend a little further up.

I'm yet to try any parks / reserves as I'm still trying to work out where it's legal to dig. Unfortunately the information on the Parks Vic page is slightly out dated with Mornington Peninsula Park being for licenced gem stone companies fossicking only. We're only permitted to detect on the beaches on the out skirts of the park according to an email I'd received from them.

I too am still starting out though, so as I find out more I'll try and update how I go :)

Some great parks on the peninsula, were I closer I'd be hitting them daily.

Beaches are probably best left for summer, unless you notice major erosion due to a storm.

TheSilentBugler said:
Some great parks on the peninsula, were I closer I'd be hitting them daily..

I know of some parks / reserves that I'd love to go to but I have a feeling the ones I want to go to are probably listed as being banned for MD and relic hunting for the reason of heritage or fauna preservation.

But there are other parks that I've been researching but I'm still trying to look at how friendly wildlife wise... I don't have snake guards as yet so I'm wanting to try before the warmer weather.

Cool, bit of a drive, but I reackon Ballam park might be a real winner early of a monday morning. Moderns mainly though.

Or hit the grassed areas of the marina/foreshore.

Yeah marina/foreshore was on my list this weekend as it's quite a large area and well known for people with dogs to walk / job through.
Ballam was also a place to try but I wanted to wait till I get a day off for it seeing weekends is always packed! But I suppose come the nicer weather I'd even try an early test :)

Olddigger said:
Hi has anyone info on detecting this area please as I am just starting out
Thankyou all for your response I am new at thi s ,I bought a jack Lang detector special I think that's what it is . Has anyone used these ??? I live in dromana and I am looking for some creeks or land near me to give it a go when it arrives I live near hillview quarries I look forward to your info thankyou

hi folks,

anyone know of any areas for gold in the mornington peninsular areas and around the surf coast around anglesea.

I find there are not many gold detecting areas close to the coast if any.

hope you all well yellowmellow

Definitely none at Anglesea. Tiny areas on Mornington Peninsula, all on private farm land and not really worth the effort even with permission. There is a reason for the lack of gold on the coast - the rocks are younger than the gold deposits, and those rivers inland have to carry the gold too far to survive to the coast. This only changes significantly around Bairnsdale and eastwards. Even then, there is little right on the coast until the east side of Mallacoota Inlet. Then again around Eden and northwards to around Mogo.

Why the coast - so many good areas a little further inland?

Latest posts