Monkey Creek -- Western Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a look in or around the Oaks or Oakdale, Western Sydney? Wondering if there is gold bearing creeks around there or if anyone has tried anywhere around that area and had success?

Cheers,
Hamish

I read a report recently from somewhere I can't remember (Trove maybe) that a lot of sandstone around Sydney does actually contain tiny quantities of Gold, when I say tiny I mean extremely tiny. 1ppm equals 1 gram per tonne, we are talking about less than 1 part per billion. The sandstone on the ridges allong the Grose River actually have about the same amounts. I have heard of people sluicing in different spots and getting the tiniest show of dust but to be honest it's probably a waste of time Hamish. From the report it said a Geologist or Chemist did a heap leaching experiment after crushing Sandstone from the site of a Sydney university in the early days and actually recovered extremely small amounts of Gold.

My cousin owns a decent sized property right on the Nepean River at Camden and it has a rounded Ironstone pebble layer on an area of the property from I'd say a 1 in 10,000 year flood event, I have seen this material myself there. I'm going to get a few buckets of it next time I'm there and see if there is anything in it at all like small gemstones or micro amounts of Gold just out of interest. The upper Nepean does have both from reports so who knows what's in it??

Only way to find out is by panning a few buckets off from different places for a look at what's in it.

As for payable Gold in the Sydney basin it's not likely. I did read another report once that stated there "should" be alluvial Diamonds and maybe Zircons in waterways around Sydney as there were quite a few Volcanic events in the Sydney basin but....... I don't think any have been found in the past. One report says a Diatreme in North Western Sydney had a Diamond found by the property owner but it was never proven to be one, though there is a road leading to it called Diamond Hill Rd, it's all private property and National Park nearby though.

Latest posts