Mogo area N.S.W. information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool.

Yeah. I have had mine for a few months now but yet to actually go into a state forest.

Handy to have just in case though.

That's a bloody fantastic price. Over here in South Australia cost $50 for a 12 month permit and now you can't even drive in the forest at Mt Crawford to get to your destination. And this permit is only for two areas in which you can prospect in South Australia. How rude :mad:

G'day folks, my names Craig and just new to the forum. I am heading to Mogo this weekend on my maiden detecting voyage for gold. I do a lot of beach and parks but would love to do more frequent gold runs.
I would love some Mogo pointers, inboxed or shared, I'm a solo swinger so any pointers will be kept in highest confidence.
I still have a trusty 705 and not sure if it's up the job but we will swing till success lol. I have got my permit and my 6 year daughters permission. So I'm right to go.

welcome mate i am sure some of the local area guys and girls will jump on when they can and help you out
i myself havent been down there yet but it is on my bucket list
1511475821_18.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum Craig
Firstly I will touch on the safety side of things with Mogo and not to scare you but just so you are prepared more so

Some parts of Mogo are full of old deep mine shafts, some are fenced but 99% of them are not, I know it seems like common sense but dont walk backwards in mogo! (any gold field really), a few spots are so overgrown you basically cant see the opening of a shaft till you have stepped into it so please take your time

Plenty of snakes around there so take your first aid kit with snake bite preps with you, if you dont have one let us know when you find a good deal on them when you pick one up before you get there.

Take water cause despite the shade of the lovely state forest and proximity of the coast it gets hot there and it is meant to be fairly hot this weekend as far as I heard, drink plenty rest often

Now the good stuff you want to know, there is plenty of gold in Mogo it just makes you work for it, mostly it is smaller gold but the old nice one comes up now and then, if you go in on runnyford Rd and take the left onto Ross ridge Rd (first major left really) then a few hundred meters on your right you will start to see a few little tracks, most of them will lead you to the old diggings on that side, that is a good place to start, swing low and slow, dig everything and double check your holes (before filling them back over), if you were local to me (Shellharbour) I would of lent you a really good map of Mogo I have
I get down as often as I can so maybe next time we can explore some more and there is a few of us that regularly are out there so you may run into one of us out there on the weekend
Best of luck and happy hunting
Cheers
Jamie

Cheers Jamie, I'm at Kanahooka, not too far. Thanks for your advice, I'm looking forward to start my gold journey. Got the snake bite gear and a bit of optimism ready to go.
Be nice to organise a trip in future
Much appreciated
Craig
I hope the 705 is up for job lol. I hope it can pay for a upgrade one day.

Well as you are local to me you are welcome to meet up and have a look at the map if you like when time suits, runnyford Rd is about 5 mins north of the actual township of Mogo on your right

@ Mackka Outdoor theatre?

Hey Jamie, no yellow unfortunately. Heaps of old shells and a $1 coin lol. Would love to catch up and pick your brain some time. Or tag along at some stage.
I did he'd out between Saltwater and humbug valley's but it was getting late and the mozzie population was fierce. Looked good up there with less cartridges.
Thanks too you and @lesgold for your help.

Thanks again
Craig

The yellow will come mate, just takes time and like I said Mogo makes you work for it
Would be great to meet up and chat all things Mogo and gold and am sure we can organise a tag along sooner rather than later
Cheers
Jamie

Hey Jamie, I might be heading down on the weekend, would love some pointers if you could spare sometime
Cheers Craig

I was thinking of going down this weekend but looks like work is going to stop me now
What did you need to know about Mogo mate, see how I can help out hey
Cheers
Jamie

hi all,
i am new to this site and prospecting, can anyone point me in the right direction for panning in or around the Mogo region, only have a pan...

Hi jagking,

Welcome to the forum. Try Mogo Creek up past the Ryans Creek junction. Heavily worked but theres still good gold in that area. Take Buckenbowra Rd and try any of the rough bush tracks to the right. They all end up close to the creek. If you can dig down and find areas of grey clay or bedrock, the gold will be sitting on top. Good luck.

Cheers

Les
1519952793_6e368752-449b-4b73-8060-54ee783b220d.jpg

I'm heading to Batemans Bay on the weekend to go fishing but will have Saturday afternoon free for a bit of prospecting. Is it worth taking a pan and sluice or is it more of a detecting area?

Hi mate I've been to Mogo a bit. Very hard to detect there. To much overburden. Take your pan, the creeks should have enough water. Try both sides of the hwy.

Hi DG,

Have a look in Mogo creek with a pan. Youll find a few puddles of water to play in. Try about 1km west of Mogo. You should be able to find a bit of colour if you are prepared to have a bit of a look around. Bit to hot for the detector at the moment.

Cheers

Les

Latest posts