Mogo area N.S.W. information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diggin, send me a message if you are staying overnight. Let me know where you have been looking today and I will see if I can get you into some better ground. The Doug Stone book (which I also have) only covered the basic and well known areas in Mogo/Batemans Bay. I went for a drive up to Mogo today to see if I could track you down but I couldn't find you. Maybe next time.

Today's tally is 22 bits of lead 11, .22 casings,2 shotgun shell ends 1 30 30 Winchester shell and 2 x 223 shells
0 gold but a day in the bush beats a day in the big smoke any day.
Even added a new battle wound to the tail gate of the hilux and a few extra bush pin stripes for good measure ;)

Hi Guys,
Just after a little help on finding the old gold workings sites / mines in and around Mogo.
Took a drive down there last week to have a look around but couldn't seem to find anything, any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Guys,
Just after a little help on finding the old gold workings sites / mines in and around Mogo.
Took a drive down there last week to have a look around but couldn't seem to find anything, any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Guys,
Thanks

Just out of town past the school there is a dirt road on your right.
Travel up the road until you cross a small culvert then go up a hill.
Any where past that for about 5 kilometers.
On the Eastern side of town almost right to the coast.
There are some big mines in there.
Big Area but Mogo Creek has been completely vacuumed out by Dredging. :mad:
Mainly the inland side of the Highway.
Big Area that was used as a practice ground by the Army.
You are better to go the sea side and there is a good bit of color around.

Mogo has plenty of old diggings. Depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for areas where a bit of surface work was done then have a look along Ross Ridge Road which runs off Runnyford Road. If you are looking for shafts and the like there are heaps on the western side of the highway behind the village. Try going along Buckenboura Rd. There are plenty of tracks that run off it. You can also look along B-Tree Road which runs off the end of Church Street. Further south you can have a look around Misons Road. Bimbimbie Mine is off there and there are also number of other mines around the area as well.
On the eastern side of the highway off Dog Trap road there are a few mines. The eastern side of the highway does not get as much attention as the western side but can produce some nice finds.
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works Tathra but there is still plenty of nice colour in Mogo Creek.
Hope this helps a little. If you see a green Pajero out and about behind Mogo, feel free to say hello.
oooh, and keep a close eye on your tailing if you are panning. There are some nice sapphires around Mogo.... :cool:

Mate, I did a few exercises there when I was in the Army.
There are old mines everywhere and from mrmory they were marked on the topo maps we used.
Failing that, If you took the dirt road beside (behind) the pub,( memory going back to the 90,s), and drove the dirt road up, long and winding road, then just started walking through the bush, you would stumble accross one, and if you didnt, you would sytill be in gold country.
Useing a detector in the bush there would be a challenge to say the least. It is very dense bush, lots of bracken on the ground.

Hey Schmick.

Wrote a very detailed post but it timed out and lost it all.

In summary: Take the Runnyford Rd off the Princes Hwy. Go for a few K's and take any track left. Big diggings off to the right about 2 k's along runnyford. Big walk into the overgrown bush but they are there. But I wouldn't bother prospecting there.

Best advice is to get that Doug Stone gold map book for NSW. It has Mogo in it and will tell you where the diggings are. And if you have a HEMA sat nav it will have the diggings on it too.

My mate found a beautiful 4 gram speci and a couple of other bits. And we found what looks like platinum.

And I have never had such interference with my detector as down there.

Best of luck mate.

Hey Schmick. replied to your post in Unanswered topics.

wrote this:
Hey Schmick.

Wrote a very detailed post but it timed out and lost it all.

In summary: Take the Runnyford Rd off the Princes Hwy. Go for a few K's and take any track left. Big diggings off to the right about 2 k's along runnyford. Big walk into the overgrown bush but they are there. But I wouldn't bother prospecting there.

Best advice is to get that Doug Stone gold map book for NSW. It has Mogo in it and will tell you where the diggings are. And if you have a HEMA sat nav it will have the diggings on it too.

My mate found a beautiful 4 gram speci and a couple of other bits. And we found what looks like platinum.

And I have never had such interference with my detector as down there.

Best of luck mate.

Hi guys new to the forum and would anyone know of an old boiler or gold trommel which is lying near one of the tracks in the goldfield down at mogo area. Cheers

Hi southenone, i havent seen them myself but there is some winching gear near kellys creek mine and there is the front wheels from a relocatable boiler as well but of the top of my head i cant remember where that is right now.
Are you from down that way? if you dont mind me asking
cheers
Jamie

Thanks guys, sorry for late reply but been away in victoria gold prospecting. It might have been a steam engine my source is very vague.
But is was near atrack on one of those around mogo or the hills at the back of moruya.cheers southenone

Hi all

Saw a thread on here doing google search re mogo area. Can anyone help out with a contact to get permits required and how long they take to get, cost etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Latest posts