ML 4800 vs 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Wolfau said:
Price difference is only $700 between both as I checked ebay.

Well the prices I quoted are Direct from the Minelab Dealers over here.

http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-gpx4800-metal-detector

http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/MINELAB-GPX-5000

and the SDC = $6301.09 AUD or 3299.00.
http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-sdc2300- metal-detector

John

Ok Then. Which Country are you in?

You know the 5000 offers an edge with its fine gold timings over the 4500 and 4800 so you might just ping more tiddlers at depth. In any case until you become a professional with either a 4500,4800 or 5000 the thing that'll determine how much gold you find will be operator skill level more so than the detector itself. I bought my 4500 used from a retired couple who'd travelled to the WA goldfields for 6 months. The ladies husband had the 5000 and she the 4500. She'd found more than twice the amount of gold he did with his 5000 in the time they were there. If she didn't have to give up the game for a double knee reconstruction and the 5000 wasn't near new I'd have had a hard time talking her into the sale.

The detecting side of it I don't have a problem with so really I would need to know more about knowing what to look for,

john

nuggetino said:
You know the 5000 offers an edge with its fine gold timings over the 4500 and 4800 so you might just ping more tiddlers at depth. In any case until you become a professional with either a 4500,4800 or 5000 the thing that'll determine how much gold you find will be operator skill level more so than the detector itself. I bought my 4500 used from a retired couple who'd travelled to the WA goldfields for 6 months. The ladies husband had the 5000 and she the 4500. She'd found more than twice the amount of gold he did with his 5000 in the time they were there. If she didn't have to give up the game for a double knee reconstruction and the 5000 wasn't near new I'd have had a hard time talking her into the sale.

The 4500 could be my next machine. Awesome piece of technology and in todays market you may pick up a bargain 2nd hand.

I was bamboozled on how quiet it was when I hired one out for the day.

Wolfau said:
nuggetino said:

The 4500 could be my next machine. Awesome piece of technology and in todays market you may pick up a bargain 2nd hand.

I was bamboozled on how quiet it was when I hired one out for the day.

I still think the GPX series' has one heck of a lot to offer,

20xwater said:
i have a question..

say you find yaself a little patch and decide to grid/chain it and work it as thoroughly as possible with a 5000,

do you not only work it with different coils but also work it with all the appropriate timings on each coil as well?

Pretty much yes. You may be restricted on how many timings you can use depending on the ground conditions, but having a variety of coils allows you to play around. This is where a log book is necessary so you can record all your data and finds. Say you get a few bits with the 11" Mono running Fine Gold. You may then get more with a 15x12 mono running Enhance, 18"DD in Normal etc. If the nuggets are quite prickly or in ironstone then you'd definitly want to try get Sens Extra to work. This is all the fun part - finding the little patch in the first place is the harder part.

PhaseTech said:
20xwater said:
i have a question..

say you find yaself a little patch and decide to grid/chain it and work it as thoroughly as possible with a 5000,

do you not only work it with different coils but also work it with all the appropriate timings on each coil as well?

Pretty much yes. You may be restricted on how many timings you can use depending on the ground conditions, but having a variety of coils allows you to play around. This is where a log book is necessary so you can record all your data and finds. Say you get a few bits with the 11" Mono running Fine Gold. You may then get more with a 15x12 mono running Enhance, 18"DD in Normal etc. If the nuggets are quite prickly or in ironstone then you'd definitly want to try get Sens Extra to work. This is all the fun part - finding the little patch in the first place is the harder part.

thanks for your answer mate

all of the above plus all the variables of all the other machine settings and the ear of the operator...

sounds like there really is no such thing as 'flogged' ey :cool:

I just read that Minelab will no longer supply parts/repairs? for the GPX series?? Surely that Can't be right because they are still selling them in the Shops, So how would new owners have Access to warranty Claims etc??

Ridge Runner said:
I just read that Minelab will no longer supply parts/repairs? for the GPX series?? Surely that Can't be right because they are still selling them in the Shops, So how would new owners have Access to warranty Claims etc??

Bollox mate - plus you can still get SDs and GPs serviced and repaired. Unless of course they have been modified/altered.

Mind you, try getting a Holden brand new spare 10 years from now???? :lol:

loamer said:
Ridge Runner said:

Bollox mate - plus you can still get SDs and GPs serviced and repaired. Unless of course they have been modified/altered.

Mind you, try getting a Holden brand new spare 10 years from now???? :lol:

How Eloquently Put, But Of Coarse your Right,

Yeah, I thought it didn't ring true because I have never had A Problem getting minelab parts

John

nuggetino said:

Bingo! Put the hours behind the machine and learn its language and you will be rewarded, the extra timings do not make gold you have to learn where to apply those timings and why one timing is beneficial over the other in the environment your in.

I also once considered buying a 4800 as I knew someone selling it very cheaply and I know they're a very capable gold finding machine and to be quite honest I rarely use boost audio and I'm certain I could go without sensitive smooth.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.

Hi folks, as a new member and relatively new to prospecting I am also keen on the GPX 4800 as it fits my budget (just). Problem is it seems to have fallen out of discussion because of the popularity of the GPX 5000 and the price difference?

Thanks heaps for all your views on this machine it makes novices like me understand this hobby that little bit easier.

GoldPies said:
Hi folks, as a new member and relatively new to prospecting I am also keen on the GPX 4800 as it fits my budget (just). Problem is it seems to have fallen out of discussion because of the popularity of the GPX 5000 and the price difference?

Thanks heaps for all your views on this machine it makes novices like me understand this hobby that little bit easier.

Mate the 4800 never really took off here as it was released at the same time as the 5000 & most went that way.
Lee

Ridge Runner said:
Can someone tell me what the difference is between these two machine and what are the benefits of one over the other,

Thanks, John

On top of what the gents have mentioned above the 4800 also lacks the boost audio function which can be beneficial in conjunction with the enhance timing or just general deep searching. If you are on Facebook or have access to it there is a 4800 listed for sale on Ballarat gold seekers page for $3500 looks like it hasn't been taken out of the box. Otherwise 4500's at the moment are an absolute steal and well worth considering. The later would be my personal choice.

Cheers,
James.

PhaseTech said:
20xwater said:
i have a question..

I Guess what I am Bothered about is?? Is Buying the 4800 NEW A wise Move, And would you be happy with one when you go off for a couple of weeks Nugget Hunting, Would you Use it??
My GP 3500 left me always wondering about what it could Do, As It always seemed Lacking In Pure Grunt/Depth and it never did earn its Keep and I just don't Want this to be the same experience, With my other Machine that I have now It has Raw Power which is usable And I want that same sort of thing with the 4800, Only deeper.

Ridge Runner said:
I just read that Minelab will no longer supply parts/repairs? for the GPX series??

Where?

If you are going to say things like that provide a link / source / bibliography.

otherwise the statement, and you, have no credibility whatsoever.

The fact you can probably pick up a GPX5000 with 4 or more coils for the same price as a new 4800, it is hard to recommend the 4800, unless you just don't like buying 2nd hand. I'd definitely do my homework though and not hand over any cash until I've checked the sn: and tested the unit myself.

PhaseTech said:
The fact you can probably pick up a GPX5000 with 4 or more coils for the same price as a new 4800, it is hard to recommend the 4800, unless you just don't like buying 2nd hand. I'd definitely do my homework though and not hand over any cash until I've checked the sn: and tested the unit myself.

Your spot on Nenad.

Have been looking, it may seem at present best deals
Are with the 5000 not 4500.

There is no comparison either between a 3500 and
4500 as i have used both.

First time i used a 4500 i was gobsmacked it was so
Quiet. Im told the 5000 is more quieter. Just need to
Offload some gear before I make a purchase. Have
Seen 2 5000's for less than $5k under 3 months old.

SHREEVE said:
Ridge Runner said:
Can someone tell me what the difference is between these two machine and what are the benefits of one over the other,

Thanks, John

On top of what the gents have mentioned above the 4800 also lacks the boost audio function which can be beneficial in conjunction with the enhance timing or just general deep searching. If you are on Facebook or have access to it there is a 4800 listed for sale on Ballarat gold seekers page for $3500 looks like it hasn't been taken out of the box. Otherwise 4500's at the moment are an absolute steal and well worth considering. The later would be my personal choice.

Cheers,
James.

The best deals so far is with the 5000.

The 4500 are holding their ground in most
Instances price wise.

Latest posts