ML 4800 vs 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sensitive Smooth is for extreme mineralisation and difficult EMI situations, Fine Gold you can use in medium type mineralistion and it will detect small say .5g Gold nuggets reasonably deep.

Heatho said:
Sensitive Smooth is for extreme mineralisation and difficult EMI situations, Fine Gold you can use in medium type mineralistion and it will detect small say .5g Gold nuggets reasonably deep.

Thanks Mate, and are those mode used a lot? Or can you get by with the 4800,??

John

Do a Google search, GPX4800 v GPX5000, have a look at several Youtube vids on both, then make up your own mind how much you want to spend.

Salt Gold is not generally used in the Australian goldfields. The 5000 users often use "Fine Gold", 4800 users use "Sensitive Extra" as their equivalent.

You will find gold with either. If you are on a budget, the 4800 is still a very good option.

Also download the manual from Minelabs site, it's the same manual for both detectors, where they differ the manual explains the difference. You will find that in most of the settings they are the same.

Redfin said:
Heatho said:
Sensitive Smooth is for extreme mineralisation and difficult EMI situations

which just about sums up the goldfields in Australia.

A few places I go I run in Enhance but have never needed to use Sens Smooth as yet. Do you use it often Redfin?

Think of the 4800 as a detector running on the newer 5000 platform, but it uses simplified 4500 settings.
It is harder to mess up, as several of the rarely used "special situation" settings are not there.

Performance wise though, the 5000 wins, as Fine-Gold definitely has a slight edge in sensitivity and depth, and Salt Gold will come in handy on the beaches, salt lakes, and in certain goldfields when the soil gets waterlogged. In very mild ground (and low EMI), Boost audio on the 5000 (and 4500) can help to bring out the faint targets.

As for Sensitive Smooth, I have been to only two places where I have had to use it if I wanted to stick to a Mono coil. Everywhere else Enhance with a drop in Gain has handled the bad patches - so the 4800 not having Sens Smooth isn't a big loss.

Sen Smooth is seldom used here, when she gets a good target, she tries different combinations before the dig.

i have a question..

say you find yaself a little patch and decide to grid/chain it and work it as thoroughly as possible with a 5000,

do you not only work it with different coils but also work it with all the appropriate timings on each coil as well?

mbasko said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1423654004_gpx-4500-vs-gpx-5000.pdf

I know it's company advertising but the charts are good for explaining the soil timings, uses & more suitable coil configuration (DD or mono) for use with them.

I reckon there's a lot of use in trying the different "suitable for location" timings on a patch & matching coils to suit i.e. not much use running your sadie in sharp or a 20" in sensitive smooth.

awsome thanx for that mate..explains it pretty good ey.

time to invent a timing loop feature so you can assign/select multiple timings, 1 pulse from each timing, like auto tracking :lol:

so much to learn ey :cool:

PhaseTech said:
Think of the 4800 as a detector running on the newer 5000 platform, but it uses simplified 4500 settings.
It is harder to mess up, as several of the rarely used "special situation" settings are not there.

Performance wise though, the 5000 wins, as Fine-Gold definitely has a slight edge in sensitivity and depth, and Salt Gold will come in handy on the beaches, salt lakes, and in certain goldfields when the soil gets waterlogged. In very mild ground (and low EMI), Boost audio on the 5000 (and 4500) can help to bring out the faint targets.

As for Sensitive Smooth, I have been to only two places where I have had to use it if I wanted to stick to a Mono coil. Everywhere else Enhance with a drop in Gain has handled the bad patches - so the 4800 not having Sens Smooth isn't a big loss.

So the 4500 and the 5000 have Boost Audio and the 4800 does Not, is that right???

Is the 4800 worth getting as I have seen the 4800 for 2799.00 / $5346.09 AUD and the 5000 for 3999.00 / $7638.09 AUD, So is the 5000 worth the Extra $2292.00 Dollars,

Thanks Mate, john

Hi John

I purchased a new 4800 after much debate and forum input, which nearly headed me to a second hand 4500

After much thought and a run down from a mine-lab guy who certainly did not knock the 4500 he said the most important thing in the 4800 and 5000 compared to the 4500 is the ground balance in the two machines they are identical.

Now I purchased my 4800 with easy swing harness and a 14x9 nugget finder coil for $5,000.00 all new My 4800 is as quiet as a mouse and I have picked up 2 nuggets very small in worked area would I trade my 4800 for a 5000 no way My husband runs a 5000 so I am aware of what it can do.

Our last trip I got 2 he got nil

Margaret

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi John

I purchased a new 4800 after much debate and forum input, which nearly headed me to a second hand 4500

After much thought and a run down from a mine-lab guy who certainly did not knock the 4500 he said the most important thing in the 4800 and 5000 compared to the 4500 is the ground balance in the two machines they are identical.

Now I purchased my 4800 with easy swing harness and a 14x9 nugget finder coil for $5,000.00 all new My 4800 is as quiet as a mouse and I have picked up 2 nuggets very small in worked area would I trade my 4800 for a 5000 no way My husband runs a 5000 so I am aware of what it can do.

Our last trip I got 2 he got nil

Margaret

Thank you Margaret, I see the differences didn't hold you back, well done, I was hoping to hear about peoples success with the 4800,

Thanks again, and Good Luck when you get back out there,

John

Wolfau said:
Price difference is only $700 between both as I checked ebay.

Well the prices I quoted are Direct from the Minelab Dealers over here.

http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-gpx4800-metal-detector

http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/MINELAB-GPX-5000

and the SDC = $6301.09 AUD or 3299.00.
http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-sdc2300- metal-detector

For $6301.09AUD I can fly to OZ buy the SDC and still come back with A $1000 change in my Pocket, and the thought of that is Utterly Stupid.

I would hate to think what they will charge for the GPZ 7000 over here when it comes out, and they will be lucky if they manage to sell 6 on them over here, when I bought my GP3500 I never saw another person with any of the GP/X series machine and I have never seen one since apart from One in the Dealers in the Past 10 years.

John

Latest posts