Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the same thing when I first used mine.

Now if the SDC gets a tad unstable on a section of ground I press the green button, pump the coil and as soon as there is a stable threshold I release the button. I imagine that there is a concentration of iron stone, hot rocks or perhaps flakes of gold causing the disturbance to threshold sound?

You will have more issues if you are running in on Level 5 as well depending on the ground.

RS

Partnered up with a bloke that was advertising, on Gumtree, for someone to share the deal with him.
Got the 5000/2300 package for $7500. So he got a new 5k for $4500 and my SDC cost me $3k.
Gotta be happy with that :)

Hi Everyone,

Im new to detecting and have a few questions about prospecting with my SDC2300.

Iv had the detector for 4 months and found a total of 28g after around 20 outings. I find gold every time i got out and am thoroughly enjoying my new hobby.

The largest nugget iv found is 6.3g but my next largest is only 0.68g. and then about 80 nuggets smaller then that. All my outings have been in the golden triangle.

On a good day ill find around 2g and a not so good day ill get about 0.5g.

All the nuggets i find are around 1-4 inches down. I can't find anything deeper nor can i find anything larger then that 0.68g piece. Is this a limitation of my detector? Am i doing it wrong? Are there not may larger nuggets left and I'm just mopping up the small nuggets the 5000's have missed? Perhaps a combination of all 3??? Should i be happy with the amount of gold I'm getting per outing? Is that considered a good haul? Either way I'm loving getting out there and digging around, so i guess thats all that counts, but i just want to maximise my yields. Thanks.

Fixed 8" coil on them is the key. Minelabs own advertising blurb gives an 8" mono only one star for large deep nuggets with 5 stars for an 18".

http://www.minelab.com/aus/gold-mining/detectors/coil-comparison-charts

They are a mid-range detector, good (in fact very good) for what they are designed to do. They will never match or beat bigger coils on deeper ground for the very reason of the coil size. This is simply because of the coils detecting depth range. Its the reason you will see say 15 x 12 patch hunting coils (four stars). On testing I have seen the 8" push the envelope for depth and clarity but at depth - just don't cut it. Good coil on a good machine - just has some limits.

There are two ways to approach this - patch hunt with another machine and work your way back with smaller coils or an SDC once on a patch to find the smaller nuggets or start with an SDC and work your way up to find deeper gold with another detector.

You will find more small nuggets and fine-threaded specimen gold in mineralised soils with
the SDC 2300 than any other gold detector, including the GPX 5000.
- Bruce Candy [Chief Scientist Minelab Electronics, GPX & SDC Inventor]

Hey Jay

Your SDC2300 is more than capable of finding larger nuggets than the ones you have mentioned, you have not swung over any yet that your detector could see, I have seen a 29g speciman dug from 12" & I have personally dug 10 nuggets out of one hole down to 14" they just kept coming, your success so far is something to take great joy in, the secret is to try to find gold bearing ground that has not been worked so much, but in saying that whenever you find an area where there has been some digging work it over to see if any have been left.
cheers
Lee

Who removed the 2 post's?? I think there is an apology due to the OP for the comment.
Personally when things are removed a short explanation would be good.

Not criticising just an opinion.
Lee

JayMowgrass said:
Hi Everyone,

Im new to detecting and have a few questions about prospecting with my SDC2300.

Iv had the detector for 4 months and found a total of 28g after around 20 outings. I find gold every time i got out and am thoroughly enjoying my new hobby.

The largest nugget iv found is 6.3g but my next largest is only 0.68g. and then about 80 nuggets smaller then that. All my outings have been in the golden triangle.

On a good day ill find around 2g and a not so good day ill get about 0.5g.

All the nuggets i find are around 1-4 inches down. I can't find anything deeper nor can i find anything larger then that 0.68g piece. Is this a limitation of my detector? Am i doing it wrong? Are there not may larger nuggets left and I'm just mopping up the small nuggets the 5000's have missed? Perhaps a combination of all 3??? Should i be happy with the amount of gold I'm getting per outing? Is that considered a good haul? Either way I'm loving getting out there and digging around, so i guess thats all that counts, but i just want to maximise my yields. Thanks.

Found more than I have mate and that's in probably 50 outings with the GPX4500. I'd be pretty stoked coming home with gold every time!

28gs......? Man I would be totally stoked with that effort...your nearing the magical ounce mate..

In your 4 months detecting you have 10 x more gold than me....don't worry, be happy :D

rc62burke said:
Who removed the 2 post's?? I think there is an apology due to the OP for the comment.

Lee

Sorry, I removed the concerned posts in the interest of forum harmony. I didn't want another topic heading south full of explanations, justifications, apologies over comments that may not directly contribute to the topic at hand, even if they were maybe made in jest or taken out of context. It is better off to edit such posts early on vs waiting down the track when things get out of hand or way off the original topic.

Quite frankly, if it were my personal topic, I'd be rather annoyed to see things go off at a tangent only after the 3rd or 4th post, cheers. :)

Goldpick said:
rc62burke said:

Lee

Sorry, I removed the concerned posts in the interest of forum harmony. I didn't want another topic heading south full of explanations, justifications, apologies over comments that may not directly contribute to the topic at hand, even if they were maybe made in jest or taken out of context. It is better off to edit such posts early on vs waiting down the track when things get out of hand or way off the original topic.

Quite frankly, if it were my personal topic, I'd be rather annoyed to see things go off at a tangent only after the 3rd or 4th post, cheers. :)

Hey Goldpick
No worries mate, I understand that.
I will PM you so as to make no more comment here.
cheers
Lee

JayMowgrass said:

I would guess that you are on ground that has been well hammered by previous machines, and you are picking up the bits the other detectors have struggled to see. Just keep at it, you will soon get some gram plus bits to add to your 6.3 grammer which is a great piece by anyone's standards!

Nenad

OK great! Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I really do love getting out there and i guess i just wanted make sure that i was maximising the use of my time and the machine. Its kinda hard to get feedback caus i don't know anyone who detects. Ill just keep it up hopefully swing over the big one!! Thanks and good luck.

Just wondering since there are more sdc2300 owners can anyone else chime in?

Even some depth tests using a variety of different sized sinkers would be cool.

Thanks

Iv used a SDC a few times... Tried many settings... Even tho everything anyone has ever complained about with this machine Pi$$t me off as well I'd still consider one S/H for myself.

.003 g @ 1/2"
.006 g @ 1.5"
.1.1 g @ 4'

The last time I used the SDC I found a .18 gram at 50mm and even tho it was a nice solid chunk it was only a "just" on setting 3.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Iv used a SDC a few times... Tried many settings... Even tho everything anyone has ever complained about with this machine Pi$$t me off as well I'd still consider one S/H for myself.

.003 g @ 1/2"
.006 g @ 1.5"
.1.1 g @ 4'

The last time I used the SDC I found a .18 gram at 50mm and even tho it was a nice solid chunk it was only a "just" on setting 3.

I am contemplating selling all of my gear and just getting a good 2nd sdc2300. There is a way of making the unit lighter.

The sdc2300 I think is suited for many areas around the Vic Triangle since lots of gold is found within the 8" or so mark.

The good thing is just switch it on and off you go and no debaiting which coil and no heavy bag of goodies to carry with you.

Wolfau said:

Thanks

I waved mine over a Sardine can some litterbug left behing while out detecting the other day and it picked it up from well over 2 feet.

Can someone please do a depth test on a 60 gram nugget or similar size piece of lead as I would be really interested to see maximum air depth it can achieve.

Cheers.

Heatho said:
Wolfau said:

Thanks

I waved mine over a Sardine can some litterbug left behing while out detecting the other day and it picked it up from well over 2 feet.

Its an old prank from someone who most likely scored a good nugget, Ive seen some videos of people doing that :mad:

Latest posts