Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the design was made so that when you find a target and want to dig it you can disconnect the headphones and listen through the speaker to avoid ripping out the speaker socket? In reality no one did that they just ripped out the socket anyway, so a longer extension was made by phasetech, problem solved. So there you go, the difference between theory and reality. :lol:

I have found that to some power lines set detectors off and others are not a problem as well. Good info heatho i never did extra noise cancels on the SDC when i was trying it out. :)

Has anyone had any experience with the SDC on the beach using both the salt and normal timings. I was very happy with the SPP on the beach and how deep it detected targets, but i couldn't go in the water. I would use the machine 10% beach and 90% prospecting.

Heatho said:
Sometimes you need to do multiple noice cancels I've found if the EMI is really bad, sometimes it just does not get it perfect on the first go.

Yes same here. Best method I have found is to do the usual 180 deg scan to see where the loudest point is coming from, then lower your coil parallel and about 30 cm from the ground. Do your Noise Cancel and then drop your coil on the ground and listen. If the stability hasn't improved do it again.

On bad days (hot/windy) I just use the B&Z and external speaker, as the sound isn't directly on your ears, you can handle a bit of instability.

Oh how I wish it had a manual noise cancel!

PhaseTech said:
Oh how I wish it had a manual noise cancel!

Hi Nenand, if the timing clock generator works on the same principle as it's predecessors, you can have manual tune. But, it will cost you your warranty and ability to ever have it serviced or repaired by Minelab. Perhaps they could get into modifying their own detectors?! :D

AuMan

Interference can be a major PITA in the adelaide hills goldfields at times with any of the Minelab PI's. Which is why, back in the day, the SD2100v2 and GP3500 were so awesome having the external manual tune control. But back on topic, I have found that small power lines don't affect the SDC, can get within 15m of some of them, whereas the GPX's are still squaking 40m away. But the SDC seems more affected by light aircraft than the GPX5000.

Nenad

PhaseTech said:
Interference can be a major PITA in the adelaide hills goldfields at times with any of the Minelab PI's. Which is why, back in the day, the SD2100v2 and GP3500 were so awesome having the external manual tune control. But back on topic, I have found that small power lines don't affect the SDC, can get within 15m of some of them, whereas the GPX's are still squaking 40m away. But the SDC seems more affected by light aircraft than the GPX5000.

Nenad

I've found pretty much the same also Nenad, XPT train can give some major EMI and an excavator about 1km away made it a bit noisy too one time.

The time I had to do multiple noise cancels I don't know what it was but the SDC sounded like a bit like a siren, took 3 noise cancels to sort it out and a 4th about 15 mins later, then it ran great for the whole rest of the trip, with no extra cancels needed.

External tune would be nice for fine tuning quickly.

Hey Roscoe, the SDC works great on the beach in normal or salt for me, no discrimination makes for a lot of junk though. Give it a hose off after being in or near the salt water, feels so weird to do that. :D

Yep works great at the beach. You will be digging bobby pins at 12 inches!

Seriously work great at the beach but no discrimination means dig everything!

Cheers

Thanks for that info Heatho and retirement stone. If i could use the SDC for both then that makes it a very versatile machine. At what point does the sdc go from high tone to low tone on our Aussie coins and does that change between salt and normal timings?

Heatho said:
The time I had to do multiple noise cancels I don't know what it was but the SDC sounded like a bit like a siren, took 3 noise cancels to sort it out and a 4th about 15 mins later, then it ran great for the whole rest of the trip, with no extra cancels needed.

Is it possible that it could have been interference from your pinpointer? I know the SDC hates Deteknix Xpointers - mine goes crazy whenever it's switched on nearby. There's an example of an SDC going crazy in this Bearkat pinpoiter comparo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLIsGRTUhw

I saw that video. Seriously who keeps their coil up in the air like that and finds stuff in the air with their pin-pointer!?? Pretty pointless demonstration.

Regarding the tones on modern coins, here's the results:

Normal 1

5c - high
10c - low
20c - low
50c - low
$1 - high
$2 - low

Salt 1

5c - low
10c - low
20c - low
50c - low
$1 - high
$2 - high

grubstake said:
Heatho said:

Is it possible that it could have been interference from your pinpointer? I know the SDC hates Deteknix Xpointers - mine goes crazy whenever it's switched on nearby. There's an example of an SDC going crazy in this Bearkat pinpoiter comparo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLIsGRTUhw

No mate was not the pinpointer, it was off. Was some really bad EMI, only affected my machine, there were 2 others running SDC's also and they were not picking it up, mine must have just been on a channel which was picking it up.

Thanks for that Phasetech. Now that is very interesting indeed. It just goes to show that there is more in minelabs SDC then just fast pulse timing. The salt timing is what i would normally expect but inverted, but the normal timing is out of sequence. I found this was the case with the GPX5000 as well, maybe something for another discussion one day. Phasetech, I appreciate your time in testing those coins for me. I like the idea of the salt timing on the beach as it gives one a bit of feed back on the conductivity of the target under coil. :)

No probs. In that thread link I posted, I talk about the tones on various jewellery.

Nenad