Minelab SD2000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's a power problem, one of the voltage regulators or fets is overheating..

You said the volume has halved, which means either a big issue with blown capacitors, or as above, fet/ or regulators.
If it were mine, I'd point a FLIR (forward looking inferred at the PCB look for hot spots.. As its not, I'd say hit up Woody maybe? he's pricey though..

When my SD2000 had the same sort of issue, basically i lost threshold tone and audio response, it was a voltage regulator overheating due to failure.

Woody has said it will only be $100 to fix those 2 fets plus post.
But if it was anything more it would be charged at an hourly rate

I have access to a FLIR camera at work, but would get in trouble for taking my detector into the tool store to test it lol so that's out.

haha, I can imagine..

Well If woody can do it for $100.. I'd ship that thing off tomorrow.. I couldn't do it for that price, though i suspect he knows exactly what it is, and I'm sure he has parts on hand and ready to go.

Agree downhalo, 100 bucks bargain- however seeing the photo ,shows that someone had a go at it without success. Fets generally don't blow on their own there is most likely other components that will require replacing. Sorry to hear that Joe and hope you get it sorted mate.

Yeah me too, my problem now is how to spend the money without the missus finding out lol

Know I see why I got such a great deal on this detector :mad:

Guess in the mean time I'll have to concentrate on walbanker and dry blowing

Hey Joe didn't you owe me $100 that needed to be paid back for something or another..... ;)
You would just be paying a mate back, nothing to do with the metal detector, she can't argue with that one. :D

Yeah, that mod is super dodgy..

That extra Pot looks like its connected to the audio circuit.. would love to take a look at that PCB up close.

Well this is fucked.
Opened it up and found what looks like burning where the resister was put on the cap, as well as my balance selector switch only has the common wire left connected to it.
definitely looks like who ever did the mod to it was a backyard job

a07vj5.jpg

2146qs7.jpg

25r1d2u.jpg

206ncbn.jpg

What in hell..

the person who did this is clearly challenged..

2 things i notice right away, they used lead free solder cause its rusted... morons.
they have attempted a Frequency mod, and failed..

Not sure what in the hell they've done where that burn mark is, looks like they tried to solder between the diode and
the black toroid...

Yep and now I'm the sucker who has to pay to get it fixed.

I'm going to call another mod guy I have been recommended here in Qld who used to work with Woody who will do the full extra balance mods for half the price of woody and ishmeal
Will talk to him tomorrow about getting him to look at it

Well he's in for a fun time.. but just from looking at it, if he has parts it should be no problem.. Oh and maybe he can re-install the crystal the modder removed for unknown reasons...

downhalo said:
What in hell..

the person who did this is clearly challenged..

2 things i notice right away, they used lead free solder cause its rusted... morons.
they have attempted a Frequency mod, and failed..

Not sure what in the hell they've done where that burn mark is, looks like they tried to solder between the diode and
the black toroid...

Where i said Toroid, I meant "High frequency ferrite choke"

Yep, how am I gonna explain this to the missus lol
I'll never hear the end of "wasting money on gold stuff" "wasting my time and fuel to drive to mackay to pick it up" "wasting time going to clermont on the weekends" "wasting time doing anything remotely fun"

That missing crystal, in the under side of the pcb is a resistor but it seems to be soldered across the terminals of the other crystal there

Well found a guy who's willing to repair it and do a couple of proper mods to it for a very fine price that I can afford.
And he said it is a 2000, just with an upgraded 2100 case and end plates, which would explain why there are no stickers or labels on the case if it was purchased as a blank case

500th Post :cool:

I kept looking at the board, thinking (some idiots removed the extra crystal and jumpers) turns out they did, also who puts an SD 2000 in a 2100 case? man people do weird crap..

Benefit of the 2100 case is my knobs and switches are all recessed inside the lip on the extended case so they don't get bumped like the original 2000 case where they are flush with the end of the case.

That's true, never was much internal real estate in the SD 2000.. my 2200D was the same, so many switches and knobs. made it hard to mod, still managed though..

Latest posts