Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoldProspector said:
I played with the gpz19 coil yesterday at the Perth 4WD show. bit heavier than the gpz13. guy at the stand was concerned with the gpz19's ability to detect the smaller nuggets. time will tell. not long to go now. :lol:
You don't really lug a 19" coil around to find smaller nuggets. 0.1gram would be plenty small enough for me:

When using Normal Ground Type (in milder soils) Ive actually been able to run a higher Sensitivity setting. I just couldnt believe how smooth it was running for such a big coil, and I blooded the coil with its first piece after a short time, a very small flat piece of about 0.1g which proved that the big coil hasnt given up much sensitivity."

Nenad Lonic - Phase Technical Metal Detection & Technical Services, Australia

PhaseTech said:
Araratgold said:
Ridge Runner,

I have personally found some porous type nuggets that the ZED will see at 6 inches in air testing, but the best I could get with a GPX was 2 inches ! That is 3 times the depth, much more than Minelab have ever claimed.

Another porous nugget the ZED could air test at 2 inches, and the GPX even with a Sadie coil had to be rubbed on the nugget to get even a murmur, no matter what settings I used !

I have at least 500 hours under my belt with the ZED in real goldfield conditions, and can tell you that the machine rocks on numerous types of gold. The only gold that I have found it to have little advantage on is solid blob type nuggets.

Anything with a bit of ironstone / quartz through it, or porous or crystalline, or nuggets standing on edge, the ZED will smash the GPX. :)

Rick

Rick, you are spot on. I've found gold with the Zed at about 9 inches, that barely registers on the GPX rubbing the coil. How much % improvement is that?

Yes the GPX loves the more solid gold, and in different areas GPX's can and are still doing very nicely.

John, the initial 40% was compared to a 15x12" Commander coil. The new 30% increase is Z19 vs Z14 coils which is pretty much what you'd expect comparing a 19" vs 14" coil, with obviously a slight drop on very small stuff.

What I'm keen to see is how the settings will differ, and how the coil behaves in the different Gold Mode/Ground Type combos. The fun will begin all over again.
I think you'll find that the original claim of an extra 40% depth on the 14" Z was as compared to the 11" Commander NOT the 15x12.
It is important to get facts correct.
Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
I think you'll find that the original claim of an extra 40% depth on the 14" Z was as compared to the 11" Commander NOT the 15x12.
It is important to get facts correct.
Cheers

When I changed from a 10" on one of my machine to a 15" Coil that gave me about a 29+% minimum boost in depth depending on the target, So taking in to account the ZEDs technology that 40% sounds very achievable, The 15x12 is equal to a 13.5" round Coil.

John.

Mate of mine ran his new 19 on the weekend. He loves it, said it ran really smooth and he was able to crank the settings much harder than usual even with the emi from storms. He pinged a few bits and said it was a bit of a handful with the ground cover, lifting and maneuvering etc. Said it wasn't the weight as its much the same as the 14 just the fact that he had to lift it higher and maneuver it more due to its size to clear obstructions.
This place is getting pretty overgrown though.

I wouldn't worry to much about the claims if you don't have a Z ridge runner. Does t really affect you? We all know that things will be marketed in the best light. Just the way of the world

Thanks Walshie.
Yes that mirrors my findings. It does react a little differently to ground, i.e. in some soils with the 14" I've found HY to be the go over General, but with the 19, it doesn't react as much to the ground, but can pick up more EMI particularly in HY, so General can provide smoother operation. It is a big coil, and as with big coils in the past you will give up a bit of sensitivity to really small targets. If you are using it for general poking around, then keep it in H.Y. If you are using it in an area you have already done with the Z14 and you suspect there may be some deeper targets lurking, then General will give you maximum punch.

In my limited time with it, I have found that I can push the Sensitivity a bit, but in doing so I have gone to High Smoothing to get a smoother threshold. I'm sure other spots will be totally different, and a lot of different setting combos will work. I.e. in areas with hotter soils and lower EMI - General, Difficult, Sens below 10 and smoothing on Low or even Off will be the go.

1479103796_my_pick_crawford.jpg

Ridgy I'll let you in on a secret .................. my wife knows me very well and she also knows everything costs 50 bucks :rolleyes: No matter what new toy I bring home she just looks at me and says ............... don't tell me it was 50 bucks wasn't it ? Then walks off smiling . Hence lies the key to happy wife happy life ;)
Well if I was relying on finding gold for a living I'd have one without hesitation simply because it obviously not only works but works well :) You only have to look at how happy the bloke on the box is ................... he's beaming at the nuggets found :) :) :) Plus for only 50 bucks why wouldn't I have one ;)

Ridgy you posted whilst I was replying ............................ be like the duck mate and let it run like the water does off it's back ;)

I'm just going to wait for the package deal to come out before xmas with the GPZ plus 19" coil and DD cover kit, a weeks tuition with Phase Tech and two free air tickets with accommodation and free quad hire to the WA goldfields for $6900.00 :D Ooops I mean 50 bucks in case my wife reads this :p

jezza28 said:
Hi Mbasko, did you run it in extra deep aswell?
Sorry mate the quote I posted is attributed to Nenad Lonic not myself. I posted it to show that the coil is still reasonably sensitive but still you don't need a sledgehammer to knock in tacks. I haven't had a chance to use one as yet & probably won't for awhile yet.

Heres a short blog from JP with more to follow:
http://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minel...al-tips-for-using-the-new-gpz-19-super-d-coil
No word or examples on Extra Deep yet.

SC75 said:
mbasko if you seen some of the terrain i detect in you would probably hop back in your car and head straight to the GT. Forget about the Z its a marathon just to walk in some of the gullys i go to. In some places its that steep the harness is useless, i have to adjust the shaft where the lower cam lock almost meets the upper cam lock and use my pick as a anchor just to get a swing, it can get pretty dodgy in some spots but no one goes there. If your ever down this way i would love to take you out and after about a hr you will be saying the Z weighs a ton :p

Lol, add our weather, and I can relate to this,!

I tried my new zed 19 inch coil today in Talbot and I can't get it to run smooth like the 14 inch did. Can anyone help with some advice please?

My other half found some small gold with her new SDC2300, which was great.

Did you do the ferrite balance? Was the instability emi or ground related? Run in HY for 20 mins then run in General for 20 mins to compare.

HY, Difficult, thresh 27, low smoothing, Sens 8 should give you plenty of stability.

Hi Phase Tech,

Yeah always GB with ferrite, not sure but think it was ground related as today in Linton it was running smooth like the 14 inch.

Thanks for the info, I will try it again tomorrow and try what you have suggested.

Matt

I used GPZ19 for the first time yesterday arvo and it ran beautifully, sensitivity 18, no smoothing, normal ground mode.
Easily picked up my 0.25 gram test nugget as well.

Did I mention that it's heavy ! Bloody hell it's heavy. 3 hours of moving it through some pretty heavy rye grass and weeds had my arm winging ! Even with a heavy duty bungy.

Will give it another crack tomorrow in some ground that is not so heavy with growth, then 3 days next week in some state forest where the 14 inch coil has pulled some nice bits.

I can't see this coil being my main prospecting coil, rather one to clean up after the 14 has had a go ! Or maybe use the 19 in the morning, then swap to the 14 for the arvo !

Rick

PhaseTech said:
Spot on Rick!

BTW Nenad, I didn't need to use the ferrite.
Only a few seconds of quick track button, and the coil settled down nicely, and after about 10 minutes it was purring ! :)

Rick

Hi Phase Tech,

Went back to the same ground in Talbot and tried the 14 coil. Same issues with very bad emi, the 14 wasn't as bad but still noticeable.

I moved to a different area and tried the 19 coil on test bits and it works a treat.

HY, normal was the best in that spot.

I've found it is very critical to find the best Noise Cancel channel, being a much larger "antenna" I guess that isn't surprising.

Decided to add a Perspex plate to the bottom of the 19 coil as I almost wrapped it around a tree due to getting constantly tangled up. The plate added 200grams extra to the already heavy coil and it is noticeable, however compared to the frustration beforehand I can put up with it. I cut the Perspex slightly smaller then the coil to allow the rubber bump stops to still work and I glued the Perspex to the bottom using Sikaflex. Photo's below. My plan is to have [2] coil covers one with the plate and one open for the areas where the cover is not necessary like WA.

1479685870_img_20161119_113858-optimized.jpg

1479685870_img_20161119_115057-optimized.jpg

1479685870_img_20161119_115111-optimized.jpg

Nice idea with the clear perspex...:)

Might be tempted to cut some thin perspex up from our stores
and pass on to lucky customers who purchase
the coil from now on.

Latest posts