Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The detector, as good as it sounds, wont open up new ground for you, per say...

For most, reading this......

You now have this wicked machine, and no where to use it.....

I have been involved in product development and I understand there are R&D costs to recoup and you have so many years to do this before the product drop off and a new model is released and the circle continues.

What I cannot comprehend is $300 worth of materials and expecting to pay $10,000 + for goodwill !

If it comes in around $7K tops I will be considering very closely. Beyond that I will invest in a GPX5000 and a few coils. I can see all second hand models dropping somewhere between $1000 - $500 on the market with people trying to off load to fund up for the new purchase. Expect a flood into the market. If you want top dollar and are considering selling I would do so now IMO. Leave it and there will be many to compete against. Which is where I will step in :)

In saying that I have my name down for a 7000 just in case, plus I have one reserved for hire, providing it is released before I go ? If it works that well, you never know it may pay for itself anyway !

Cheers

Westaus

G0lddigg@ said:
AusFX said:
Still waiting on the final price, if it's 10K or less I'll be getting one. 10.5K and I'm a maybe.
But I have 3 months off and dedicated to just prospecting starting at the end of next week, after I get back from a stopover in Thailand ;)
If it does end up being too expensive I'll pick up a second hand GPX, SDC and a nice highbanker.
Its more than $10.5 mate
Ill rephrase, between 10.5 and 11 and I'm a maybe. But until the price is released we are all just guessing mate.

Didn't someone find a 50+ozt Nugget Last month with a TDI ???,

If A person is out there 3 - 4 months of the year then no doubt they know their stuff and need such a thing,

But for 2 -4 weeks a year its more a matter of want than need, I have dug over 2 and a half feet with my TDI SL on a jam jar lid when I was doing some Testing and I don't want to dig one at 5 feet In Aussie Hard bush Soil to find the door off an old pot belly stove, I once had to dig 3 one meter square/deep holes to under pin a house digging in Flint and damp Clay and that took the best part of a day and nearly killed me, Out in the Bush one of them holes could take you a Day,

It might be a wonderful Machine But how many of us are going to want to dig 5 foot deep holes when most people here talk about giving up on some targets once they got to around the 3 foot mark,

It's A Truly Great thing that Minelab has listened to Customers and given them what they have been asking for, (Serious Power/Depth) But who in all honesty is going to dig by hand holes that deep,
I have always wanted more power from nearly every Machine I ever bought except my PI's, Not Once did I ever think about Having to Dig the Target or whether I was prepared to dig that Deep when I was Lusting after That Miracle Detector,

That fact is the GPX has made many A Man Give up digging on such targets and has made just as many sleep well after a long day in the field, I think it would be wise to only dig loud signals if this machine is really that deep,

john

Ridge Runner said:

If A person is out there 3 - 4 months of the year then no doubt they know their stuff and need such a thing,

But for 2 -4 weeks a year its more a matter of want than need, I have dug over 2 and a half feet with my TDI SL on a jam jar lid when I was doing some Testing and I don't want to dig one at 5 feet In Aussie Hard bush Soil to find the door off an old pot belly stove, I once had to dig 3 one meter square/deep holes to under pin a house digging in Flint and damp Clay and that took the best part of a day and nearly killed me, Out in the Bush one of them holes could take you a Day,

It might be a wonderful Machine But how many of us are going to want to dig 5 foot deep holes when most people here talk about giving up on some targets once they got to around the 3 foot mark,

It's A Truly Great thing that Minelab has listened to Customers and given them what they have been asking for, (Serious Power/Depth) But who in all honesty is going to dig by hand holes that deep,
I have always wanted more power from nearly every Machine I ever bought except my PI's, Not Once did I ever think about Having to Dig the Target or whether I was prepared to dig that Deep when I was Lusting after That Miracle Detector,

That fact is the GPX has made many A Man Give up digging on such targets and has made just as many sleep well after a long day in the field, I think it would be wise to only dig loud signals if this machine is really that deep,

john

I have a feeling it will be 40% deeper on smaller gold, say a gpx 5000 just pings a .3 g nugget at 6inch and the gpz 7000 gets that same .3 at 10inch then that would be really good! If it did that anyone who gets one should put in for holidays the day they get the 7000, it will be like when the sd2000 came out, every old patch will be very productive again :D

Nearly all pi's will ping a car door a lot deeper than you want to dig!

dazza513 said:
Ridge Runner said:

john

I have a feeling it will be 40% deeper on smaller gold, say a gpx 5000 just pings a .3 g nugget at 6inch and the gpz 7000 gets that same .3 at 10inch then that would be really good! If it did that anyone who gets one should put in for holidays the day they get the 7000, it will be like when the sd2000 came out, every old patch will be very productive again :D

Nearly all pi's will ping a car door a lot deeper than you want to dig!

Yeah that would be terrific on the Ounce or less nuggets but them bigger ones are going to be a worry.

John

nuggetino said:
To those worried about trash at depth. I'll see you in WA :D

with that kind of power it would be great for following Veins etc and with the mapping software that would be a bonus making it a great research tool not just a detector.

John

To answer the topic question.

I have bought over the last year:

XTerra 705 Gold Pack.
Honda WX15 Water pump. Hoses and camlocks.
New Tent.
New camping gear.
Handheld GPS.
PLB.
Generator.
SDC2300. Harness. Headphone adapter.
Scales.
Gold pans and classifiers.
Shovels, crowbar, demo bars.
New headphones.
Pick and pick holder.
Deep cycle batteries x 2.
Waders, neoprene gloves.
And heaps of other "must have" crap.

I, my friends are one new pick and shovel away from divorce!

(My GPZ would cost double because I would have to book an "overseas holiday" = 10,500 brownie points)

On that note I am out.

Retirement Stone said:
To answer the topic question.

I have bought over the last year:

XTerra 705 Gold Pack.
Honda WX15 Water pump. Hoses and camlocks.
New Tent.
New camping gear.
Handheld GPS.
PLB.
Generator.
SDC2300. Harness. Headphone adapter.
Scales.
Gold pans and classifiers.
Shovels, crowbar, demo bars.
New headphones.
Pick and pick holder.
Deep cycle batteries x 2.
Waders, neoprene gloves.
And heaps of other "must have" crap.

I, my friends are one new pick and shovel away from divorce!

(My GPZ would cost double because I would have to book an "overseas holiday" = 10,500 brownie points)

On that note I am out.
I can already see this happening to me :/ I'll be lucky if the boss let's me stretch to $1500 for a detector eventually.

I am taking a punt on getting one, will consider paying up to $12K, i am on the waiting list.
I am hoping it will do better for me than the GPX series as i struggled with a GPX 4500, ( 3 bits ) failed with the GPX 5000, not a single gold target.

Going buy the SD2000 a huge increase in depth and performance will pull gold, but most of it will be cleaned out within 3 months of the release date, then we will be struggling for scraps? As a part timer ( have to work full time to pay bills ) the trick is beating the locals and pro,s to the locations, while watching your back and keeping finds secret. Just as well my work is drying up, alway,s wanted to try full time detecting i guess i could last 3 - 6 months on current savings and investments with no gold finds.

If the GPZ turns out being a failure as some are predicting price will crash to a more affordable level, the second hand market will be flooded with used detectors.

I have taken up jogging so i can run around the golden triangle picking up as many multi ounce nuggets that i can locate. ;)

Swinging & digging said:
I am taking a punt on getting one, will consider paying up to $12K, i am on the waiting list.
I am hoping it will do better for me than the GPX series as i struggled with a GPX 4500, ( 3 bits ) failed with the GPX 5000, not a single gold target.

mate don't want to tell you what to do, but if you can't find gold with a 4500 or a 5000 then you won't find it with a gpz as you still need to know where to detect so you can put the coil over it no matter how good this machine is.
regards tm

Can't say I quite agree with that logic. Thousands of GPX's with highly skilled operators swinging over what was once productive ground has a lot to do with not finding much or any gold. Even a complete beginner can grab a Doug Stone Gold Atlas and off you go to all the flogged out diggings we know have produced good gold in the past. If the detector lives up to it's hype I really don't see why there won't be a bunch more gold coming out of the ground. I'd agree with the logic that if you can't find new gold patches with your GPX then you may not with the GPZ either.

I'm Not Feeling the Love Here Guy's

Swinging & digging, You don't need a better Detector, You need to Double Check your Research, Some of these Blokes are living out there months at a time, Gold is about 85% Research and Knowledge 5% Luck and 10% putting the Coil over it,

When it comes to this sort of Game your ears and eyes are the best tools you have, Many a man has thrown millions into this Game, My Brother in Law went in to it big time and they bought Big NEW Hitachi Excavators and Lord Knows what else and Sold their houses to pay for them and their was about 4 of them involved in it and they just got out with the Shirts on their Backs,
That was back in the 1980s,

I am Sorry to say this but I feel you don't have the Knowledge to throw all your eggs in one Basket, You need better Claims and a lot more Research before you drop that kind of Dough on a detector, I have found Gold but that was Pure Ass, No Skill involved regarding Prospecting, Although I am Mustard with A Metal Detector, I Know Bugger All compared to these Blokes But I am Prepared to shut up and Listen, Even the Guys finding Tiny Gold are flaming Clever because that is all about the knowledge and Skill in setting up and using their machines,

Good Luck,,, John

My two bob - if I can't do coil changes with my collection of coils or rig this up for a drag/tow coil behind a quad bike then I am not paying big money for a detector with only a limited window of operational capability. No matter how good it is, what happens if I hit good gold within its operating/detecting capabilities? If I can't then do coil swaps to fully detect and area, what do I do? drag out a GPX!! where I can wack on big coils. So, whats the point. I have no intention of detecting with an 11" fixed coil, or a fixed 8" for that matter.

loamer said:
My two bob - if I can't do coil changes with my collection of coils or rig this up for a drag/tow coil behind a quad bike then I am not paying big money for a detector with only a limited window of operational capability. No matter how good it is, what happens if I hit good gold within its operating/detecting capabilities? If I can't then do coil swaps to fully detect and area, what do I do? drag out a GPX!! where I can wack on big coils. So, whats the point. I have no intention of detecting with an 11" fixed coil, or a fixed 8" for that matter.

Yes Loamer, But this new one comes with a 14 or 15" super coil that has a chip in it, but that big coil still need to be Swung just the same so none of your coils will fit so that's no help wiith what you do,

nuggetino said:
Can't say I quite agree with that logic. Thousands of GPX's with highly skilled operators swinging over what was once productive ground has a lot to do with not finding much or any gold. Even a complete beginner can grab a Doug Stone Gold Atlas and off you go to all the flogged out diggings we know have produced good gold in the past. If the detector lives up to it's hype I really don't see why there won't be a bunch more gold coming out of the ground. I'd agree with the logic that if you can't find new gold patches with your GPX then you may not with the GPZ either.

in theory I agree, but after buying every new minelab on the day of release since the end of the sd days I have learnt you need to know what to look for and where to look to find gold, a good machine helps but does not do it on it's own.
the person finds the gold not the detector.
regards tm

All this talk about 10k, 12k, 15k, start talking realistically and stick it to em, start telling everyone you wouldn't pay more than 6.5k and that's final,... otherwise I've got no sympathy for anyone when they make you pay all that extra money for nothing,...(ha).

silver said:
All this talk about 10k, 12k, 15k, start talking realistically and stick it to em, start telling everyone you wouldn't pay more than 6.5k and that's final,... otherwise I've got no sympathy for anyone when they make you pay all that extra money for nothing,...(ha).

Well I just got quoted A hell of a lot more than you guys are paying for it, 10k HA just a drop in the Ocean, lol

Latest posts