Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detrack said:
Does your 6000 get you'd beer out of the fridge for you ,not seen that setting yet.

:lol: Not sure about that Detrack. But I do know it will feel much better once the pillow case cover is gone and Deb's cover goes on it. ;)

1623035275_20210607_130138.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Better to use with or without headphones? I've never been much of a headphone man as I like to be aware of the noises around me.

Did you manage to get a 6 SL?

I did GC. Last Friday. Too bad cause of lockdown I cannot go out and use it. Closet bit of a patch is about 12 k's from where I currently am. Have to Follow Melb rules and stay within the 10 k limit.
Maybe I should blame google maps if I go of course, but I do not need a fine right now or ever.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4748/1623030918_20210604_121933.jpg
Ive got the avantree neck brace speaker kingswood recommended but haven't used it yet,i might compare the bluetooth to the rear speaker the next month or so,will be on the ground every day,maybe others have noticed it but it wasn't a problem as such to me.
For me, there is a lot more EMI without the neck speaker....
Just a word of warning: The neck speaker does talk to you....Was walking alone in the bush and all of a sudden a womans voice in my ears "battery low"...Scared the crap outta me :8

kingswood said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Better to use with or without headphones? I've never been much of a headphone man as I like to be aware of the noises around me.

Did you manage to get a 6 SL?

I did GC. Last Friday. Too bad cause of lockdown I cannot go out and use it. Closet bit of a patch is about 12 k's from where I currently am. Have to Follow Melb rules and stay within the 10 k limit.
Maybe I should blame google maps if I go of course, but I do not need a fine right now or ever.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4748/1623030918_20210604_121933.jpg
Ive got the avantree neck brace speaker kingswood recommended but haven't used it yet,i might compare the bluetooth to the rear speaker the next month or so,will be on the ground every day,maybe others have noticed it but it wasn't a problem as such to me.
For me, there is a lot more EMI without the neck speaker....
Just a word of warning: The neck speaker does talk to you....Was walking alone in the bush and all of a sudden a womans voice in my ears "battery low"...Scared the crap outta me :8

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah flicked mine on the oday to see if they work,she sounds kinda hot,would be nice to get a "are u busy later" when out walking the hills ..... :argh:

mbasko said:
Detrack said:
Does your 6000 get you'd beer out of the fridge for you ,not seen that setting yet.
Nah no setting for that.
Doug may have to think hard before trading Carol in on one :lol: :p

You are probably righ Matt. Tuna would get a bit pissed off if I brought a 6000 up to his place. The 6000 wouldn't be able to cook him delicious meals like Carol can. :lol:

Cheers

Doug

I took the 6000 out for a swing this morning 6C, overcast with a lazy breeze. After suffering the constant ground noise from the 11" Mono I fitted the 14"DD. It was considerably better but not cured. I still had to run tracking, it's very much like using Enhance on the GPX4500. It cuts out most of the hot rocks and most of the ground noise.

I tried to film an area but stuffed it up and just got a heap of stills from a burst. I should have had the GoPro but I was out to find a nugget not make a movie. Anyway I got to a spot that was going off like a deep target (with the 14"DD) only the same noise occurred if I moved a metre forward. I dug the spot out and then it was going off on my dirt pile. I took tracking off but everywhere I ground balanced it was reasonably quiet but everywhere around that spot screamed. I moved to a noisy spot and successfully ground balanced there but couldn't move off that spot. When on tracking it was detectable as long as I moved slowly giving the detector time to adjust which it did quite quickly however I never had another detector with me to make a comparison. It was mostly rich red soil, slightly damp with a lot of black ironstone on the surface. I reduced the sensitivity which didn't fix anything but reduced the effect.

I never got any gold but I did dig a few small lead targets at depth amongst the rust. It's certainly capable of detecting a very small target but the DD is disappointing in the way that the leading edge and LH side are a lot more sensitive than the rest of the coil. If detecting over an area using the RH side of the coil the target would likely be missed even if it was quite a strong signal on the LH side of the coil.

I passed under the big square powerline tower without any effect at all. I my return I passed under the same powerline where it was hanging lower between towers and picked up the EMI. A retune made no difference but the interference was not severe enough to prevent me from detecting the area. The GPX4500 has to be turned off if I approach the quad or come within 3m of the bus but the GPX6000 will allow me to walk right up to the quad to get something as long as I hold it behind me and I can detect right up to within a metre of the bus without any detection. I'm not sure that's a good thing because I'm used to detecting some targets with the 4500 before even passing directly over them.

Overall I see it as quite an improvement over the GPX4500 but certainly not as good as some of the rave reviews I've seen on Youtube. I miss not having a range of manual adjustments too.

Phil

Phil, when you say Tracking are you talking about Auto Sensitivity? Because the 6000 is locked in Tracking like the Gold Monster and SDC and you can't switch it off.

As per Nenad sounds like you were trying to run the sensitivity in Auto or Auto+ over some highly mineralised ground?
In mineralised ground Auto+ is definitely not for the faint hearted or those who don't like any chatter with the mono but Auto should be better.
When you say you turned the tracking off (which you can't do) I'm assuming you went back into manual sensitivity - what number were you trying to run at.
In bad ground I've found you need to be in 5/6 to get it smooth with the mono although my "smooth" may not be your smooth so you may need to go a bit lower?
Don't worry about missing too much in manual at lower settings. Test a small piece of gold at using the various manual settings & you'll see what I mean.
IMO the manual sensitivity is more of an audio smoothing type setting, not straight out sensitivity, & you've got as much chance of drowning out a faint signal at 10 as you have of not hearing one at 1. It's all about getting the best balanced setting/audio for the area not running it flat out.
With the quick track button I've only had to use it in a couple of noisy spots where the ground was worse than usual. I found using the quick track button with the usual coil pumps then doing a few slow, broad sweeps of the coil seems to do the job.
Using the above I've run the GPX6000 & GPX11 mono coil over some ground very nicely that had the GPX4500 & an Evo 14x9 groaning/complaining in Enhance.

Detrack said:
Solid Luck said:
Detrack said:

:lol: Not sure about that Detrack. But I do know it will feel much better once the pillow case cover is gone and Deb's cover goes on it. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4748/1623035275_20210607_130138.jpg

I dropped one off in Werribee on sunday night was that not yours :(

Yeah, thanks mate. :clap: :Y: Was mine but I have not been back to Werribee for a few days. I'm up around Clunes area at the moment with the machine so I cannot put the cover on.

PhaseTech said:
Phil, when you say Tracking are you talking about Auto Sensitivity? Because the 6000 is locked in Tracking like the Gold Monster and SDC and you can't switch it off.

Yes Nenad, I should have brought the manual with me and I'd understand better what I'm doing.

1623151598_ground_type.jpg

This is the button that was making all the difference similar to enhance on the 4500. Now I can see why it was working to have it switched to Difficult Ground :)
I see now that I have another option for difficult ground on the DD coil.

mbasko said:
As per Nenad sounds like you were trying to run the sensitivity in Auto or Auto+ over some highly mineralised ground?
In mineralised ground Auto+ is definitely not for the faint hearted or those who don't like any chatter with the mono but Auto should be better.
When you say you turned the tracking off (which you can't do) I'm assuming you went back into manual sensitivity - what number were you trying to run at.
In bad ground I've found you need to be in 5/6 to get it smooth with the mono although my "smooth" may not be your smooth so you may need to go a bit lower?
Don't worry about missing too much in manual at lower settings. Test a small piece of gold at using the various manual settings & you'll see what I mean.
IMO the manual sensitivity is more of an audio smoothing type setting, not straight out sensitivity, & you've got as much chance of drowning out a faint signal at 10 as you have of not hearing one at 1. It's all about getting the best balanced setting/audio for the area not running it flat out.
With the quick track button I've only had to use it in a couple of noisy spots where the ground was worse than usual. I found using the quick track button with the usual coil pumps then doing a few slow, broad sweeps of the coil seems to do the job.
Using the above I've run the GPX6000 & GPX11 mono coil over some ground very nicely that had the GPX4500 & an Evo 14x9 groaning/complaining in Enhance.

Ok mbasko, I've taken the time to read the manual from end to end. Tomorrow I'll most likely be back on that same ground and because I have the DD on I'll start with that and try to get a better understanding of what I should be doing. I reckon I should be able to remember at least a quarter of what I've read so hopefully I'll come home happy with it's performance :)

Moneybox said:
PhaseTech said:

Yes Nenad, I should have brought the manual with me and I'd understand better what I'm doing.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1623151598_ground_type.jpg

This is the button that was making all the difference similar to enhance on the 4500. Now I can see why it was working to have it switched to Difficult Ground :)
I see now that I have another option for difficult ground on the DD coil.

For $8k its an absolute disgrace that minelab did not include a manual for reference when you're out on the field. The first time I used mine I unpacked the unit in the field, no manual, no phone signal, no happy!

It really is a very easy machine to use.

1. Turn it on (as early as possible as it does have a little settling in period)

2. Do a Noise Cancel

3. Leave it in Difficult ground (I've not found Normal ground an advantage unless super quiet ground)

4. I start my Sensitivity in Manual about half way and adjust as required. Don't be afraid to drop it very low if needed

5. Squeeze the Quick trak trigger, pump coil to ground balance then sweep coil side to side (that last step is what is recommended in the manual)

That's it, go find stuff.

Just like previous units that are always in Tracking, every now again just pump the coil to check/reset the ground balance.

I've found the 6000 really easy to use and understand, and I feel it's because I had used and was successful with the GM1000, I think it has more in common with the GM1000 than the previous GPX models, apart from the VLF/PI thing Minelab should have called this the GM6000.

Regardless, the 6000 is working well for me and no complaints here.

Latest posts