Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can hope that those who give their time to write critiques of anything do it with honesty and integrity, both good or bad and should it be cash for comment they advise it as being thus.

Here you go mate a very short report on the + and - of the GPX6000.
Negatives
It loves wet red clay
It loves charcoal lumps
It loves hot rocks
All the above give a very good signal just like the 7000
The detector is very light and doesn't like to be scrubbed on the ground due to the lack of weight in the coil.
Shaft feels week but it's carbon fibre.
Battery usable time 5 hours approx.
Speaker at the back means it can be hard to hear when passing scoop over the coil. tried shorting the shafts like on the SDC2300, coil too sensitive

Positives
Operation from setup to use is quick and easy.
Menu operation easy. Threshold, No threshold operation, EMI cancel 4 seconds, ground tracking balance. Manual selection and Auto selection.
BT headphones are very clear and easy to setup.
It's light enabling great detecting time without operator fatigue, no harness, no leads.
Speaker at the back is better then on the side like the SDC2300 when operating.
It's better then the SDC2300 for smaller deeper targets this was determined by myself and another very experienced detectorist who went on to find a 1 grammer at 12" depth.
Does punch deep have yet to compare to the GPZ still in lockdown.
Have found more gold on old patches. That have had SDC2300, GPX4500, GPX5000 and GPZ7000 over them by many different detectorists. All of which are very good operators.
This is just my observations when using the detector over the last so many weeks and yes it did go back for a loose connection.
It has also been used by a very skilled detectorist who uses a GPX4500 and a SDC2300 who found the light weight a bit off because he likes to scrub with the SDC2300.
I will try it out against my GPZ7000, GPX5000, SDC2300 and GM1000 when lockdown is over. But more then likely I'll get out there and just use it and forget about testing because of the above reasons.
cheers db ;)

Sorry mate, I forgot to mention a couple of other things.
It can be very noisy around 2way radios and overhead airplanes also steam engines(trains) but EMI cancel seems to work very well.
Also if the machine is noisy (red clay), heavy mineralization the solution is to back off the sensitivity a notch or 2.
Also can be used at a much higher sensitivity at night due to quieter mineralization same as the SDC2300.
Also Pinpointing appears to be much easier then the GPZ7000 about equal to the SDC2300 even thou the coil is bigger then the SDC2300.
Hope all this helps.
cheers db ;)

Well, I managed to get away early on Thursday before the lockdown.
Tried the new 6000 for the first time on a pretty flogged gully that's seen every other detector on it.

Negatives = it loves tiny bird shot that other detectors can't hit, my knees are sore from all that digging :N:
Positive = I love this new 6000, battery lasts all day, it's lightweight and there's plenty of targets left on those flogged out grounds.

Not much else to say really, and I'm not payed by anyone to test or give feedback.
For me, it's the perfect machine, thank you Minelab :perfect:

1622454988_20210531_093736.jpg

1622454999_20210531_184750.jpg

deepblue said:
Sorry mate, I forgot to mention a couple of other things.
It can be very noisy around 2way radios and overhead airplanes also steam engines(trains) but EMI cancel seems to work very well.
Also if the machine is noisy (red clay), heavy mineralization the solution is to back off the sensitivity a notch or 2.
Also can be used at a much higher sensitivity at night due to quieter mineralization same as the SDC2300.
Also Pinpointing appears to be much easier then the GPZ7000 about equal to the SDC2300 even thou the coil is bigger then the SDC2300.
Hope all this helps.
cheers db ;)

yeah agree mate , but am getting 6 to seven hours on a battery diggin 42 targets and still have 2 bars or sometimes 1 left ....and charcoal is not too bad , did a burnt area my 4000 would not have liked at all ...... :cool:

GemQ said:
hermann said:
Hi Phil, I guess there must be a few hundred GPX6000 out in the field,, only 2 or 3 are posting positive stuff. I'm very keen to hear your thoughts about this machine. Regards, Hermann.
Hermann

I think there has been more positive feedback mate. I have some more videos coming up once we are out of lockdown. Stay safe and well my friend.

Guy (Darkside)

Yeah more or less rave reviews everywhere,a couple moaning here an there but i doubt if they've used one,it's funny to see some of the 7 owners with there noses out of joint :| i don't get the "my detectors the greatest" mindset,dropped into madfishes the oday on the way past and we all had a play on a spot with his 7 with cc xcoil,wife's 7 with 14 standard coil and the 6,what was evident on a few bits found was the ease of the xcoil and the 6 compared to the standard 7 signal,much brighter.
Xcoil was bloody impressive but like the 6 has its little traits,a narrow search field,it's a patch cleaner,6 is awesome but runs on the ragged edge on hot ground,similar results but ones still heavy and purrs across the dirt,6 performs brilliantly but doesn't purr on hot ground like the 7 but the weight and balance overide that by far,which is best,i don't know and don't care,7 and 6 are both great detectors.
For walking new country the 6 leaves the 7 and previous gpx's drowning in its wake,it's just so dam easy to swing all day,best 8k i've spent in a long time,bring on the 17" :)

Hi Folks

A little token feedback on the 6. Just got back from WA where I was on a couple of tag along tours. A mate had his 6 out for the first time and it handled the ground well. The tour leader borrowed the machine to test it out and found a target. He called the group over and we watched as he passed the coil over the undisturbed target. The signal was clear and sharpe. He then asked people to run their machines over the spot. A standard SDC barely made any sound. In search mode, it would not pull most people up. An SDC with an 11 Coiltek coil picked up nothing. 3 different Zeds (with operators own settings)picked up nothing. I ran my zed with the 12 Zed search over the target and got a clear signal. The response I got on my machine was not as sharpe or as clear as the 6000. That was impressive. On another day this task was repeated on a new target. This time only the 6000 and the Zed Search coils picked up the signal. No SDCs or Zeds showed any threshold response at all. The Zed Search was slightly better on that target. Both digs produced small pieces of gold at about 4 to 5 inches. In my opinion it didnt prove much except that the 6 does show a lot of potential and is very sensitive. A lot of work needs to be done to develop a clearer picture of where this machines advantages and limitations lie but at the moment, early indications are very positive. I have had my 6 out a few times now and will give some personal opinions when I get a few more hours under my belt. I will say that at the moment, it does put a smile on the dial.

Cheers

Les :) :) :)

Hi Bear, yep it says made in USA and I found it out in the Vic GT on some diggings but can't remember exactly where, did you loose one?

Polar Bear said:
Hey Pete

Where did you get your scoop? Does it say made in the USA ?

Bear

ProspectorPete said:

Not much else to say really, and I'm not payed by anyone to test or give feedback.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3820/1622454988_20210531_093736.jpg

Nah Pete I was looking to buy one like it

ProspectorPete said:
Hi Bear, yep it says made in USA and I found it out in the Vic GT on some diggings but can't remember exactly where, did you loose one?

Polar Bear said:
Hey Pete

Where did you get your scoop? Does it say made in the USA ?

Bear

ProspectorPete said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3820/1622454988_20210531_093736.jpg

The wife decided to go out for wander yesterday,we have 2 months off work in a week so im doing a bit to the car,camper just making sure all is up to scratch,70ltr water tank under the tray of the ute is one job,had to lift the tray about a foot,fun times 8.(
Anyway i said to her take the 6 and try it,she loves the 7 and is a bit set in her ways,i said if the 7 is out of action one day if ya not familiar with the 6 ya might regret it,she still wasn't keen and stormed off :lol:
Half hour later she came out and said i might take it then.
So she took it out and i was thinking she won't like it,probably not on this spot,the ground is a bit hot.
I was surprised when she came back and said said she used it all day,the first bit was 2-3 gr in ten minutes and she ended up with 6gr for the day,she ran the headphones and said she only noise cancelled it 3-4 times otherwise she said she had the sensativity up over half and it purred along nicely,i was surprised,i thought she might struggle with the feedback ya get from it sometimes,she also said some of the tiny bits she didn't think the 7 would of heard,11 mono was on it and she is used to a hip stick and bungy,after 2 hours she went to the car and grabbed a bungy not being used to swinging without one,i told her after a few days with the 11 and no bungy it gets easier.
She was very impressed and likes it and said i might grab it if your not using it on the odd occasion :) (
1623024756_488efb25-a5b0-4a0f-8748-62c671872592.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Better to use with or without headphones? I've never been much of a headphone man as I like to be aware of the noises around me.

Did you manage to get a 6 SL?

I did GC. Last Friday. Too bad cause of lockdown I cannot go out and use it. Closet bit of a patch is about 12 k's from where I currently am. Have to Follow Melb rules and stay within the 10 k limit.
Maybe I should blame google maps if I go of course, but I do not need a fine right now or ever.

1623030918_20210604_121933.jpg

Solid Luck said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Solid Luck said:
Better to use with or without headphones? I've never been much of a headphone man as I like to be aware of the noises around me.

Did you manage to get a 6 SL?

I did GC. Last Friday. Too bad cause of lockdown I cannot go out and use it. Closet bit of a patch is about 12 k's from where I currently am. Have to Follow Melb rules and stay within the 10 k limit.
Maybe I should blame google maps if I go of course, but I do not need a fine right now or ever.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4748/1623030918_20210604_121933.jpg

Top stuff SL,good for you....
Must be doin ya head in not being able to get out and give it a run.
Personally i haven't noticed the emi problems with the rear speaker compared to using headphones etc a few have mentioned but my last few days using it i did run the headphones and had a good run on the gold so ?
Ive got the avantree neck brace speaker kingswood recommended but haven't used it yet,i might compare the bluetooth to the rear speaker the next month or so,will be on the ground every day,maybe others have noticed it but it wasn't a problem as such to me.
Good luck mate hope the curfew is over soon...

The headphones are very light and comfortable and don't squeeze your ears.
Personally I find I can still hear enough of my surroundings while using them and I feel you hear more faint/deeper targets using the headphones.

You may just have to try it out on an un-dug target and see which you prefer.
Also never noticed a difference with EMI between speaker or headphones.

Congrats on getting it, you'll love it mate :Y:

Latest posts