Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Moneybox said:
I've noticed the blue light come on sometimes when mine have been charged too but not all the time?
They've been charged maybe a dozen times & are working perfectly + last a full day no worries so I'm assuming it's not an issue - if the blue lights on or no light I've been taking that as charged & ready to go. :Y:

Maybe a minor problem that isn't a problem at all. I thought it might have been an error in the book but apparently not.

There's probably a residual voltage in the circuit - LEDs don't need much electricity at all to get them glowing. When I plug a 12V Engel lead into a battery pack or household supply power pack, the green light in the cigarette lighter plug comes on even without the power being switched on to the socket. But when the power is switched on, the green LED becomes much brighter.

The pre-made ciggy cable for the 6000 and 7000 from Jaycar for $4.95.
Works just fine and seems well made.
The store I went to only had 4 in stock, so get in fast :eek:

1621490146_6k_cable.jpg

Spoke with a guy at Miners Den in Mitcham.
The coils are chipped, and with a scarce supply of chips, the 17" coil is also being delayed as Minelab's Malaysian manufacturer frantically tries to seek more.
Possibly also a reason for the 6000 being as slow as the vaccine to roll out.
He also said that the reason for alligator battery clips was because modern cars often don't have ciggy outlets. I replied that most prospectors use older/proven vehicles which do. He replied stating that most 3rd world occupants (viz much of Africa) don't have cars, but all villages etc had 12V solar systems.
Fair point :Y: however for only $4.95 they should include these cables.
I guess there might be a run on these Jaycar cables............

BigWave said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1621490146_6k_cable.jpg

Did you get me one? :lol:
Mrs M is leaving Perth early tomorrow so I'm not going to ask her to buy anything else. I think I'd have one of those about anyway. They must fit any number of devices we've had in the past.
Could be a bit of trap because my bus has a 24V cigarette lighter :fire:

BigWave said:
Seems there might be an error in the 6000 manual?
Or they're having a bet each way.
Like said I've noticed mine off sometimes & blue light on at others?
The headphones are working perfectly & obviously charging so IMO as long as the red light is not on you're good to go! :Y:

BigWave said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1621490146_6k_cable.jpg

Went through some of our old leads stuff and found a 240 volt that fitted,worked fine,it's a common plug that one,my detectronics 45 wireless setup plug is working on it to.
Just got a spare battery today,also got a good laugh while at the shop,they have 17" skid plates in stock,no ETA on the coils though WTF minelab ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's too wet to dryblow so I thought I might give the 6000 a run this morning. I crawled out at 5:00am and soon dived back under the covers. By 7:30 I think the temperature had dropped further and the rain was still coming down. Now I'd be knee deep in mud if I did want to go out but we'll see if it's a bit warmer tomorrow.

Latest posts