Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave79 said:
I went out with a mate and his virgin 6000 today. Certainly is light and well balanced compared to my SDC. Went to some old sluice workings near high voltage powerlines that have been flogged by everyone in Tassie with a detector. The mono coil was completely unusable due to the emi but the DD was quiet as a mouse, even right under the powerlines. He found a couple of rusty nails, 3 hotrocks and 1 shotgun pellet, I found 3 shotgun pellets, lots of tree roots and one little reefy bit that wouldn't even weigh 0.01 with my equinox 800, the little bit didn't register on the 6000 when you rubbed it on the coil.

Thanks that's exactly the information I was after, so maybe the GM 1000 isn't really 4 star and the GPX 6000 5 star on tiny gold for overall performance, they're taking into account variables that don't matter for everyone like high mineralisation.

This was really prickly reef gold that PI machines have trouble seeing, I've got quite a few similar texture bits with my equinox from spots that I've hammered with my SDC and my mate has also been over with his gpx and 17x13 evo. All. 5g or less and all prickly.

Just goes to show how good the SDC is and hearing the SDC with the 11 inch coil picked up every target make me wonder if buying the 6000 is worth it? Think Ill just buy the 11 inch for the SDC instead I think!.
Great to see the comparison on them all and thanks a lot for the video!,.

dirtdiggin said:
Just goes to show how good the SDC is and hearing the SDC with the 11 inch coil picked up every target make me wonder if buying the 6000 is worth it? Think Ill just buy the 11 inch for the SDC instead I think!.
Does a good job the little blue vacuum :Y:
I'd like to see some targets right on the edge of SDC detection though then tested with the GPX/GPZ.
IMO you'd see a much more defined example of where the GPX/GPZ's start to take the advantage.
Still it does well there & shows that it's more capable than some give it credit for.

The SDC is the perfect example of what I hate in a detector. A gold pan is cheaper.

WARNING:posts are to be on topic and written with the intent to make a positive contribution to the discussion, negative contributions may be removed without notice, multiple negative contributions may lead to bans ranging from 3 days to a permanent ban".

dirtdiggin said:

....and for any experienced prospector, that is probably the best way to compete against the 6000. Add a few aftermarket products and modification ideas and you'll have you're own 6000 at one tenth the price. Great idea and advice dirtdiggin!

A-team said:
dirtdiggin said:

....and for any experienced prospector, that is probably the best way to compete against the 6000. Add a few aftermarket products and modification ideas and you'll have you're own 6000 at one tenth the price. Great idea and advice dirtdiggin!
Good luck with that!

Ded Driver said:
I just hit the 'watch on youtube' & it worked ok.
Nice vid Nenad :Y:

When though, DD? I watched it OK on Wednesday, but since Thursday it's been like this for me:
1619136505_vid_unavailable.jpg

Well i didn't get much time on the ground this week with the 6,one day so far,i struck car problems a long way from knowhere,had to pack up and get back to civilisation,first time in 9 yrs in wa ive nearly found myself in serious trouble,had plenty of water and my quad but i didn't feel like riding it 150klms for help,pulled in north of leo last night,havin a coffee b4 i hit road again and just noticed i got a flat front tyre to top it off :mad:
Like the machine,got a few small bits on a patch we found 18 months ago but i didn't expect anything special there,most of the gold was shallow or on top,a cuppla of the bigger specis even had moss on them.
It's a bit chattery with the extra sensitivity with the 11 but so easy to noise cancel or adjust the sensitivity on the fly it's ridiculous,same with the quick track,groans a little more on the salt then the old gpx's with the mono on but i found it bearable,b4 i struck problems i was going to go out patch hunting with 45 and 17evo on but when i picked it up i thought oh bugger the weight,i'll put 14dd on the 6,i think it's a gonna be great all round unit,cant wait for the 17.....

PhaseTech said:
If anyone is wondering how the 6000 runs across the ground, I show it in my second video:

Great video, thanks. I'm checking out all your others now :)

PhaseTech said:
If anyone is wondering how the 6000 runs across the ground, I show it in my second video:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/Vni1UevTPwY[/video]

From the few videos Ive seen it seem to be a bit noisier then the other GPX models the threshold reminds me more of the SDC perhaps not quite as bad but between the two I guess thats also due to how sensitive the 6000 is.

davent said:
Saw a Facebook post just now, GPX6000 scored a 25 grammar at 600mm. Nice.

Did they say which coil was on it dave,11 or 14?
There's a great review on the detector prospector forum i see written by steve hershbache (spell check),i just read few bits and will get back to it later tonight,and he's got a 17" coil,i'd burgle his house if he was nearby for that coil.
It's on tomorrow,myself and the boss are hitting an old patch locally,we've pulled 100's of bits of this spot so keen to see if the 6 gets a few,also compare a few targets against her 7....

Latest posts