Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polar Bear said:
I'm curious about the reports of finding pretty good sized nuggets with the 6000 in grounds previously hammered by other machines. Have any of you prior to digging these targets tried using your SDC's, GPX's, SD's or other machines over those targets to test to see if they could hear them or not?
Bear

Reckon they're all too busy filling their pockets with nuggets to be bothered with comparos:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/sJ4h5ICghZU[/video]

PhaseTech said:

Any feedback on the 14dd nenad? If you ran it testing?
The machine being so sensitive i'm thinking it might be worthwhile running it in wa until the 17 turns up,or is it best left in the cupboard for salt lakes etc?

Goldchaser1 said:
PhaseTech said:

Any feedback on the 14dd nenad? If you ran it testing?
The machine being so sensitive i'm thinking it might be worthwhile running it in wa until the 17 turns up,or is it best left in the cupboard for salt lakes etc?
Jolly good question :)
I wonder how much sensitivity is lost with the DD??

Polar Bear said:
I'm curious about the reports of finding pretty good sized nuggets with the 6000 in grounds previously hammered by other machines. Have any of you prior to digging these targets tried using your SDC's, GPX's, SD's or other machines over those targets to test to see if they could hear them or not?

Bear

Although doing as you suggest is a great idea, knowing that there is a signal there changes the situation from real detecting conditions but it does give a guide of a detector ability.

Polar Bear said:

Bear
Yeh mate, have had multiple detectors and coils over this patch and thought i would find nothing but they were there deeper.The other machines just couldn't see them.
Had mate out with me today who has been using a monster for 3 months and found nothing and he found three subbies and a specie,his first ever nuggets.I got two.

Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:
Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:
Picking up the 6000 tomorrow from Coilteks Maryborough store. :Y:

I was told next week over here,flyin solo a long way out into the gr vic desert to have a look at some country for the week on tues,first trip of the year,wife's in perth for the week,she can't pick it up either :mad:
Would of been nice to have it with me but without the 17 i'd use the 45 or 7 anyway.New country.
Oh well,no rush in the goldrush,its panned out pretty good actually,arriving at the start of the season for all.
Good luck with it MG,keen to hear early reports on it.....
Hey mate 8 nuggets today from a patch i've been flogging since 2002.Thought there would be bugger all left but there they were, nice bright signals.
Amazing machine quiet in hot ground,light and if it's metallic you'll hear it.I found a 1.34g nugget nearly 11 measured inches in depth and the signal was loud and clear.Have fun with it when it arrives. :Y:

Impressive stuff MG,some good reports on FB i see also,was that with the 11 on it i'm guessing?
They arrived here on friday,so looking foward to next week....
Yeh, used the eleven.Got the 17 on order and i think that will stay on there permanent.

No idea how Geo-sense works from a technical point of view, only know that it does.
It picks up the same type of gold the SDC likes, but at better depth. I got a faint signal with the 6000, scraped the surface and the signal was louder. Checked with the SDC and nothing. Scraped off 2 inches of ground and the 6000 was singing at this point. Tried the SDC again, and it now got a faint threshold rise. I dug it out, and then couldn't find it in the dirt with the SDC. I grabbed the 6000 and it clearly saw the target, and it ended up being a 0.3g bit with a lot of personality.

Re the 5000 if the gold is of a solid or waterworn nature, then it'll be able to hold it's head high against the 6000. But on spongy / reefy stuff, it doesn't stand a chance. Some of the gold I've found with the 6000 I tested on the 5000 and 4500 later, in all timings, and the best I could get was "something" in the audio while rubbing the target on the coil. And these were bits found at 4 inches on the 6000. Hopefully I can demonstrate this in future videos.

Have you compared to the zed Nenad?
Im guessing at 4 the zed with standard coil would also have no problem

With the Zed it gets a little more complicated as there's a more blurred crossover point between target orientation, size and depth.
One thing that clearly does stand out though is the Zed in normal gives more of a boost compared to the 6000 in Normal. And Zed starts to win more as target sizes increase.
In simple terms, on most targets under a gram the 6000 will do as good if not slightly better than the Zed, particularly when the Zed is in Difficult. But not all targets.

I found a reefy 5.4g bit with the Zed and 12" Z-search coil. Later did a quick test with the 6000 and there was hardly any difference, the 6000 maybe giving a slightly more "peaky" signal due to the monoloop coil. On a more solid 5 grammer, and I reckon the 7000 would have shown it's true colours, particularly in General.

Have you had a chance to try it on salty ground and ideally wet salty ground?
I'd love a pi that can handle the goldfields and hit deep at the beach during the storms here in winter

Wondering if the old gpx5000 coils work in any way at all or if they be totally incompatible? There was some talk early that they will work but not to full potential or something lile that. Also, is the coil plug the same as before or different?
TIA

No, older GPX coils will not work on it, completely different cable type with far more pins connecting the coil, it appears to also have a chip protection system to stop aftermarket coils which also eliminates the use of older GPX coils. Perhaps one day in a few years time Minelab may let an aftermarket manufacturer make a coil or two for it.

phrunt said:
No, older GPX coils will not work on it, completely different cable type with far more pins connecting the coil, it appears to also have a chip protection system to stop aftermarket coils which also eliminates the use of older GPX coils. Perhaps one day in a few years time Minelab may let an aftermarket manufacturer make a coil or two for it.
Smart machine but even smarter money making tech for minelab.

I would imagine the GPX 6000 wouldn't even be compatible with the GPX coils even if they were to plug in with no chip security, it's a very different animal when it comes to small gold performance, the coils would obviously need to be made differently for this. While it's a shame for us GPX owners with a big collection of great coils if we were to buy a 6000 we wouldn't be able to use them I doubt the reason behind it is they didn't want us to use them, I would think it's just because they wouldn't work, similar to how the SDC needs different coils to the GPX. Sometimes backwards compatibility just isn't possible.

I also wonder if the GPX 6000 coils are flat wound more like the EVO's, X-coils and Elites and so on to help with that small gold performance although when you look at the underside of one how it's hollowed out to keep it lighter when the skid plate is taken off it doesn't appear to be the case with not enough area for the flat windings to fit.

It does seem a pretty impressive machine from early reports of regular users.

Goldfreak said:
phrunt said:
Very good on them. If I had a multi-million dollar product that I spent millions on developing, I would hide my 11 secret herbs and spices too :)

kingswood said:
Goldfreak said:
phrunt said:
Very good on them. If I had a multi-million dollar product that I spent millions on developing, I would hide my 11 secret herbs and spices too :)
Sure but tying up the after market coil market was a smart move business wise. Secret herbs and spices :lol: