Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you talking about. We already do that. We are looking forward to digging 60 holes for 1 gram of junk tongue

Baaaahaaaaa!!!

Fair play ironrock - re some old posts but take into consideration a lot of 5k users were skeptical of new things not proven at the time.

Congrats on your purchase still a good call.

ironrock said:
My 2 bobs worth, was considering buying either this new 6 or the 7, but decided to reread up on some old posts regarding the 5 to 7 comparison, what i deduced from that is that the 7 is probably 20% better overall than the 5 and mostly better on the speci's and porous type gold.
In my opinion Minelab is going down the wrong path with respects to not giving us the user the ability to choose what coil we want to use, be it aftermarket or genuine
the aftermarket coils being made now for the 7 makes this point loud and clear.
I think having the choice that the 5 has in giving many settings combinations is the way to go, and in saying that i just scored a near new hardly used 5 for 4k and can't wait to give it a whirl!!
And since the 7 is STILL classified as the flagship, i would say that this new 6 will be almost identical to the 5 performance wise, maybe it will be better on the 0.002 fly**** , but you can have that, i do not fancy digging 30 holes in a day just to make 1 gram, that to me sounds like torture!!

Hi Ironrock....6 is quite different to the 45/5 from what I am hearing from my bush telegraph. Hopefully I am not telling you how to suck eggs but I would suggest you wait for a couple of weeks....hire out a 7 for a few days and then hire out a 6 for a few days...this should help with your decision. When people ask me for advice about which detector to buy my answer is almost always 'dont buy anything....hire one first'
Hope thats of some help.

A-team said:
maldongold said:
A-team said:
This is what I'm talking about. Had a hard time even picking it up! And they want to go smaller???
Found with the GPZ, clear clean signal at around 100mm deep.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/18790/1612867922_g-1.jpg

Don't think the 6000 will be on my wish list.....
No one's making you buy one why are you quacking on about it. It's not that the gold will be smaller than what you've found. The comments seem to concentrate on the fact that your going to find microscopic pieces. The reality as i see it is nuggets of all sizes will be visible with more clarity than is possible now. By the way what's wrong with small gold beats walking around all day getting 'F' all. :Y:

maldongold; if it's as good as they are saying, I might end up buying two! :money: No arm twisting needed - but needs to beat my Zed first... Sounds like you have some inside information you are unable to share as yet, so until then we will keep quacking on about the 6000 as this is what this thread is about? Personally I get frustrated trying to find pieces under 0.01g, it can take a long time fiddling around in the dirt, will make sure I leave them for you :Y:

You do that and i'll dig em out.What gets me though is the biggest humbugging is coming from gpz owners.
The gpx 6000 will plop all over the 7000.Quack quack. :100:

maldongold said:
A-team said:
maldongold said:
A-team said:
This is what I'm talking about. Had a hard time even picking it up! And they want to go smaller???
Found with the GPZ, clear clean signal at around 100mm deep.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/18790/1612867922_g-1.jpg

Don't think the 6000 will be on my wish list.....
No one's making you buy one why are you quacking on about it. It's not that the gold will be smaller than what you've found. The comments seem to concentrate on the fact that your going to find microscopic pieces. The reality as i see it is nuggets of all sizes will be visible with more clarity than is possible now. By the way what's wrong with small gold beats walking around all day getting 'F' all. :Y:

maldongold; if it's as good as they are saying, I might end up buying two! :money: No arm twisting needed - but needs to beat my Zed first... Sounds like you have some inside information you are unable to share as yet, so until then we will keep quacking on about the 6000 as this is what this thread is about? Personally I get frustrated trying to find pieces under 0.01g, it can take a long time fiddling around in the dirt, will make sure I leave them for you :Y:

You do that and i'll dig em out.What gets me though is the biggest humbugging is coming from gpz owners.
The gpx 6000 will plop all over the 7000.Quack quack. :100:

Recovery speed can make a huge difference when there are a lot of targets. When we first started out I remember running into a guy from Meekatharra while we were up high on a hill above Nannine. It was taking me minutes to retrieve a target and he was doing it in seconds. Of course now I can usually do it in seconds as well with the right coil. That's one of the reasons I sold both the NF 12"x8" and the 11" Detech Ultra. Both these coils are dead around the perimeter and make pinpointing a very painful operation.

Before every detector release we seem to get the same reactions and criticism ..... "SDC is crap, who wants to find fly shit gold", obviously plenty of Gold Monster owners, but the SDC is probably one of the most popular "go to" detectors out there.

Same with GPX owners .... "my GPX can find 0.001 pieces, who needs a SDC/GPZ".

We all have different expectations and different detector requirements ...... personally I would love to be young enough to swing a GPZ, seems to cover most bases and finds the SDC sized pieces as well BUT apart from the weight (minor issue), it's that it can find deep targets that take a LOT of digging .... that's a lot of digging when the majority of targets will be/are junk.

From what I've heard on the grapevine the 6000 is NOT meant to do what the GPZ does (if so they probably would have called it a GPZ 6000) ..... I'm "assuming" it will be an (almost) SDC simplicity detector with GPX detecting power .... NOT GPZ depth but more than the SDC and easier to operate than the existing GPX detectors (and like the GPZ, still find the fly poo).

Be interesting to see how many say "No way" to the 6000 and 6 months down the track are lining up to buy one (much like the SDC).

Strange that a lot that don't want one/will not buy one keep posting on a topic that shouldn't interest them, I can state that I've never totally got the hang of my GPX (despite getting large nuggets with it) and envy those that are totally proficient with them, maybe if I was in the "expert" category I'd stick with it.

As I'm not a GPX "expert" the 6000 just may be the answer (finances permitting).

If it can do a bit better than a sdc and doesn't smash my back account and get me divorced like a gpz. I might consider it. Not in a rush though. I feel like they have reached a wall with the existing technology. Maybe some one needs to come at it from another angle.

davent said:
Same Frequencys as the zed

They say that any bluetooth ear phones will work. Does that mean that the ones that come with the Equinox will work on the 6000?

Apparently there was a problem with the speaker on the first batch so its been delayed until near the end of April.

Moneybox said:
Apparently there was a problem with the speaker on the first batch so its been delayed until near the end of April.

Also heard from an anonymous source in Victoria .... so that delay reason may have some legs.

...... More time to accumulate the required $$$$$

Teemore said:
Moneybox said:

Also heard from an anonymous source in Victoria .... so that delay reason may have some legs.

...... More time to accumulate the required $$$$$

I thought you got the detector then accumulated the :money: :lol:

The full length is a turn off for me. The 7000 was too short and had me bending over too much that I sold it. I'm 6"4 and it caused grief. The 6000 is shorter. The other issue is that if it gets the idiotic tiny bits like the SDC, good luck to those who like that, but id prefer to spend my time for the better bits. They say it gets the SDC type and better, ok, but id like to be able to turn that option off (SDC micro sh..) to hunt better stuff and not waste my time. I hate the SDC micro pellet crap. Its a waste of time compared to getting bits that blitz those grains. Fun ok getting them ok but not for me. Do I want to catch a sardine or a salmon!? Guess which!?
They said as I read that they listen! Then why don't they give us the option to turn of that micro sh.. in areas littered with damn shotgun pellets like central vic areas are littered with! History shows that on the digs the old boys fired off the guns each night to 1 let others know they were armed and 2 to make sure it fired! Shotty pellets are in the millions on the goldfields! For crying out loud how hard is it to give big Aussie blokes a longer shaft and turn off the insane shotty pellets concofony! They say in the 6000 bluuuuurb they listened! My ar$e they did. Dimwits.

Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.

davent said:
Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.
Thanks mate. I get what you are saying. But in many places here the tiny shot and iron particles are off the chart.
A machine that has the option of turning the insane sensitivity off in that situation is a huge plus.
If you detected where I am you would get it. Not saying you are stupid or anything negative about you at all. But have you spent time here on the Vic fields!? Where the numbers firing in the old days was every night for decades?
It's like panning with a detector for bird shot! I cant be bothered doing that with stupid tiny surface crap!
Again, no disrespect, its just have you walked in these shoes?
And PS fished for 50 yrs. :Y:
Detected since 1990

Moneybox said:
davent said:

They say that any bluetooth ear phones will work. Does that mean that the ones that come with the Equinox will work on the 6000?

Bluetooth is Bluetooth, it's not a Minelab proprietary thing so yes any Bluetooth will work just make sure that what you have is low latency that means your receiver picking up the signal as soon as the transmitter sends it otherwise you will be digging in the wrong spot because where you heard the sound is not where the coil picked up the target.

Whisp said:
Moneybox said:
davent said:

Bluetooth is Bluetooth, it's not a Minelab proprietary thing so yes any Bluetooth will work just make sure that what you have is low latency that means your receiver picking up the signal as soon as the transmitter sends it otherwise you will be digging in the wrong spot because where you heard the sound is not where the coil picked up the target.
Well sort of.
You do need low latency Bluetooth but it needs to be aptX Low Latency compatible as per here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36404
Other Bluetooth will work but at a higher latency as the GPX won't be connected through aptX LL.
There are other Bluetooth headphones etc. that claim to be low latency but unless they have the aptX codec then they won't be achieving the actual lowest latency available in Bluetooth.
The wireless headphones supplied with the Equinox 800 will be ok as they are aptX LL as will the supplied headphones for the GPX6000 be.

No mate, only been to Victoria twice in my life, and thats if you count Pukapunyal.Apart from that had an over nighter in Melbourne, lol.
So my experience in your goldfields are zip!
We have ground like that here to though. Boot tacs and small parts of tin as well as shotgun pellets. The zed and 4500 pick them up to though. All in all, if a 6K puts you on ground with small gold, that you might have missed otherwise is a big plus. Whack on the 17 or go another detector and have a good look deep.
P.s We have magpie geese and ducks to!
Maybe time to look outside the square and find some ground that has not been worked so hard......its a big country and Victoria has the best prospecting laws in Australia.

Latest posts